Announcements, requests and support regarding the Cinema 4D exporter
fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.4.5 Beta

Post by fused » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 am

Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.4.5

Hi there,

this time around, we've got a pretty big update. Not only have we added support for R21, but also this release includes a greatly improved interactive preview.

There are two modes for the preview, in-viewport and in a separate dialog. The in-viewport IPR supports playback of animations, the separate dialog does not, currently. Please keep in mind that many of the interactive changes are not supported by the GPU renderer yet, but we will keep adding things as we go along.

This is a beta release, if you find any bugs or issues, please let me know.

Windows:

Indigo Renderer:
indigo-for-cinema-4d-4.4.5-installer.exe - Includes installers for R12 - R19
indigo-for-cinema-4d-R20-4.4.5-installer.exe - Includes installers for R20 - R21

Indigo RT:
indigo-rt-for-cinema-4d-4.4.5-installer.exe - Includes installers for R12 - R19
indigo-rt-for-cinema-4d-R20-4.4.5-installer.exe - Includes installers for R20 - R21

Mac:

Indigo Renderer
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R12-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R13-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R14-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R15-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R16-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R17-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R18-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R19-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R20-mac.zip
indigo-for-c4d-4.4.5-R21-mac.zip

Indigo RT
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R12-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R13-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R14-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R15-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R16-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R17-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R18-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R19-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R20-mac.zip
indigo-rt-for-c4d-4.4.5-R21-mac.zip

Changelog:
Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.4.5
--------------------------
* Added support for R21.
* Added denoising options.
* Added new render settings for bucketed rendering, double buffering, etc.
* Material preview fixes.
* Enable/disable viewport ipr command now disables the viewport ipr as well.
* Pausing of previews when an IPR is going.
* Updating of IES and emission scale.
* Viewport IPR enabled does not just depend on post fx setting and the state is not saved.
* Also viewport IPR will only launch in the viewport selected as "render viewport".
* Fixed crash with infinite lights.
* Fixed scene not being animated at the right point in exporting a scene to standalone.
* Fixed export status window frame counter.

Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.4.2
* Added "Enable viewport IPR" command.
* Updating viewport IPR with message data plugin (still a bit rough).
* Abstracted IPRRenderer for use in viewport and dialog.
* Fixed that annoying instance bug.
* Added some unit tests.
* Fixed logging in R20.
* Updated Indigo SDK to 4.4.2

Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.4.1
* IPR (it actually works now)
* Many fixes for IPR
* Fixed camera sometimes not updating position in IPR
* Changed ip and uid handling a bit (hopefully everything still just works :)
* Multi threaded mesh processing.
* Plenty of other optimisation.
* Added support for albedo render channel.
* Updated Indigo SDK to 4.4.1

Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.2.24
---------------------------
* Added support for multi instances (R20+)
* Added Indigo Material Import function (drag and drop igm files onto c4d)
* Fixed phong and glossy transparent roughness import
* Updated Indigo SDK to 4.2.24

pixie
Indigo 100

Re: Indigo for Cinema 4D 4.4.5 Beta

Post by pixie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:16 am

Good things happens to those who wait! Great release!! Thanks you all

Ilay

Post by Ilay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:39 am

Hello
Thank you.
I got crashes when hit render or open rt preview. Material renders normally.
C4D r21.026, win 10. With clear c4d or any plug-ins
I'm sorry for my bad English

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 am

Ilay wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:39 am
Hello
Thank you.
I got crashes when hit render or open rt preview. Material renders normally.
C4D r21.026, win 10. With clear c4d or any plug-ins
Does C4D give you a crash report?

Additionally, Windows may generate a crash dump, check this article: https://helgeklein.com/blog/2018/10/cre ... rash-dump/

Would it be possible for you to email me those to yves@indigorenderer.com?

Thanks!

Ilay

Post by Ilay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 am

Yes, i sent bug report to you

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 am

Ilay wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 am
Yes, i sent bug report to you
Ilay,

I have fixed the crash and re-uploaded the builds. Please download again and let me know if it's fixed.

Thanks,
Yves

Ilay

Post by Ilay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:34 pm

fused wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 am
I have fixed the crash and re-uploaded the builds. Please download again and let me know if it's fixed.

Thanks,
Yves
Hello Yves
Yes, it works!
Attachments
cindigor21.png

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 am

Point lights. Can't live without them.

Joking. This is an amazing iteration, feels like a significant mark in development.

tokyomegaplex

Post by tokyomegaplex » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:59 am

awesome!!!!!!! cant wait to play with this

Silverwing

Post by Silverwing » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi there and thank you for the release. It looks great on the indigo front and there are a lot of technical achievements in there. Unfortunately I more and more get the feeling that C4D is not getting the love it deserves.

Again there is always the change of me just being to stupid to operate stuff. If so please point me in the right direction and give me a slap on my forehead ;-)

I know this is beta... but I can only repeat my song there again:

In Indigo C4D Render settings:

Custom Export Pacths are broken:
- Tried it with: "Custom export path"
- Tried it with: "Export to scene dir"

Image Save Paths are broken:
- Tried it with: "Save to scene export path"

I set the "Image save period" accordingly.

C4D_Render_Output_01.png

C4D does not support Render Channels:
When I save "Regular Image" in the C4D saving dialog it works as expected. You get the finished rendering
When I save "Multi-Pass Image" in the C4D saving dialog I get nothing. No file is written

Whats the procedure for getting out multi-pass renders within C4D?

Indigo_Render_Output_01.png

I know that you can export everything to indigo standalone and work from there. But usually external renderers conveniently work within C4D with all the supported functionality.

Furthermore with the chance of sounding like a broken record I really, really like to see a untonemapped EXR output option through the C4D Saver. I have been asking for this for years. I am a animation guy, and my workflow is EXR based. With every other renderer (Arnold. Corona, Cycles, Maxwell, Octane, Redshift, Vray) I get untonemapped linear EXRs out of C4D. I need this because I do all my settings (Tonemapping) in comp in post (this is a very established workflow for stills as well animation).

I am for a big overhaul of the Indigo C4D Interface to give users the chance to get the best out of the renderer.
Thing is that especially the GPU engine, but also the CPU ones are delivering some of the best and fastest rendering results I have seen. It´s highly usable. Its just such a shame that a small feature like the proper export settings completely breaks this for me :-(

P.s. Halt Time and Image save Period should really get a "(Seconds)" at the end. So the User knows what time unit he is looking at!

Indigo_Save_Period_01.png
As I said I might be super stupid and missing some workflow completely. And I also know that this is a beta. But this is also not working in the current stable release.

If you have any questions regarding my workflow to better understand what I need and want from Indigo. Do not hesitate to contact me!

Cheers and thanks very much for your time to read through this.
Raphael

P.s. here´s a link to the old threads:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15011&start=15#p142434

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14976#p142143
You don´t dream in cryo.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Silverwing,
Silverwing wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:03 pm
Hi there and thank you for the release. It looks great on the indigo front and there are a lot of technical achievements in there. Unfortunately I more and more get the feeling that C4D is not getting the love it deserves.

Again there is always the change of me just being to stupid to operate stuff. If so please point me in the right direction and give me a slap on my forehead ;-)

I know this is beta... but I can only repeat my song there again:

In Indigo C4D Render settings:

Custom Export Pacths are broken:
- Tried it with: "Export to scene dir"

Image Save Paths are broken:
- Tried it with: "Save to scene export path"

I set the "Image save period" accordingly.
I'm fairly sure I answered this before: Those settings are for rendering with standalone Indigo (Plugins > Indigo for C4D > Render with Indigo). It could maybe be a little clearer in the UI... (I mean, it does say "export settings" and export only happens when you render with the standalone, but yeah not too clear).

Silverwing wrote:
C4D does not support Render Channels:
When I save "Regular Image" in the C4D saving dialog it works as expected. You get the finished rendering
When I save "Multi-Pass Image" in the C4D saving dialog I get nothing. No file is written

Whats the procedure for getting out multi-pass renders within C4D?
Yeah, this isn't supported. You can save the last renders untonemapped exr and render channels through the picture viewer (in the Indigo Renderer menu).

In general, I'm a little hesitant to add support for multi pass images, for several reasons, the biggest would be because it doubles the memory used up by images (and does C4D keep them all in RAM all the time when you are rendering an animation?).

Silverwing wrote:
I know that you can export everything to indigo standalone and work from there. But usually external renderers conveniently work within C4D with all the supported functionality.
To be fair, this is probably what you should be doing. At least for now :)
Silverwing wrote:
Furthermore with the chance of sounding like a broken record I really, really like to see a untonemapped EXR output option through the C4D Saver. I have been asking for this for years. I am a animation guy, and my workflow is EXR based. With every other renderer (Arnold. Corona, Cycles, Maxwell, Octane, Redshift, Vray) I get untonemapped linear EXRs out of C4D. I need this because I do all my settings (Tonemapping) in comp in post (this is a very established workflow for stills as well animation).
How do other renderers do this? Do they always save an untonemapped EXR? Or is there a special image save option?
Silverwing wrote:
I am for a big overhaul of the Indigo C4D Interface to give users the chance to get the best out of the renderer.
Thing is that especially the GPU engine, but also the CPU ones are delivering some of the best and fastest rendering results I have seen. It´s highly usable. Its just such a shame that a small feature like the proper export settings completely breaks this for me :-(

P.s. Halt Time and Image save Period should really get a "(Seconds)" at the end. So the User knows what time unit he is looking at!

Indigo_Save_Period_01.png

As I said I might be super stupid and missing some workflow completely. And I also know that this is a beta. But this is also not working in the current stable release.

If you have any questions regarding my workflow to better understand what I need and want from Indigo. Do not hesitate to contact me!

Cheers and thanks very much for your time to read through this.
Raphael

P.s. here´s a link to the old threads:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15011&start=15#p142434

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14976#p142143
Hit me up on the Discord, we can discuss this in depth.

Best,
Yves

Silverwing

Post by Silverwing » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:49 am

Hi there Yves,
thank you very much for taking the time to answer me in such detail.
Yves wrote:I'm fairly sure I answered this before
Sorry that I seemed to not have understood the function of the Custom export paths.

I remember that there once was a Indigo version (before GPU rendering) where, when you set those paths, they were used from within C4D.
So starting up a render inside C4D with filled in Image Save Paths gave me an uncompressed EXR in the specified location. This is the reason I am asking for it. Because it worked once. Even if it might not have been intended :D
Yves wrote:How do other renderers do this? Do they always save an untonemapped EXR? Or is there a special image save option?
There are two Options that renderers use. All of them use Option A and some of them use Option A + B

Option A: Saving through the C4D image saving dialog.
This lets you (Through C4D) choose the exact image format that you want for your output.
Multipass support is made available through C4Ds Multipass Output using the PostEffects to bring in the passes to the Picture Viewer.

Option B: Saving though renderers own (plugin) implementation saving dialog.
Some of the renderers additionally offer extra saving options through an extra renderer specific plugin interface.
Usually this allows you to bypass C4D and (depending on the renderer) and therefore allows for more options. e.g.lets you choose your image format per channel. So you could save a normal pass as 16bit tiff while you save the beauty as 32bit EXR. Or save to image formats not supported by C4D as Deep EXRs (supported by Arnold and Octane)

This extra saving dialog is implemented in Arnold, Redshift, and Octane (and eventually other renderers also)
As you might imagine this gives very nice flexibility to the artist. Saving in different file formats.

All of these renderengines also are able to use the C4D token system to customize the output further:
C4D of course supports this natively through the C4D output dialog (Option A) but the other renderers also support this through their proprietary output (Option B)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2G_OmZSFc

As for the Option A C4D Image Output:
I do not have complete insight how the image processing works inside C4D. But it must be something like this:
The renderer internally renders a 32bit untonemapped rendering anyways. There is no data loss there. So the renderer provides this uncompressed high tynamic range file to C4Ds image output. Then the image output conforms the image to whatever the artist specified in the C4D image output settings. e.g. Jpeg, 8 / 16 bit Tiff, or 16bit float / 32bit float EXR.

There might be a Differenciation between sRGB and linear imagery. For example Octane provides a tonemapped result to the output if you are saving the images as sRGB non float (8bit or 16bit) and offers a linear untonemapped image to the output when you are saving in linear floar (16bit [half float] or 32bit).

I hope this makes it a bit more transparent.

If I would use Indigo for still images only. Despite still being more Klicks, having to learn a new interface, I would not have that big of a problem with it.

Using a renderer for animation you are generating a lot of image sequences also over the network with your rendernodes.
Therefore it would be quite some extra work to not only manage C4D but also manage the standalone for the pipeline.

I am not saying all of this because I (immediately) need this functionality. I have my renderers that work well for me.
I am saying that, because Indigo is a great engine that has a lot of potential. But knowing a lot of pipelines and a lot of people that, because of the extra work, would not work with a engine that needs them to setp outside of the C4D ecosystem, Indigo limits itself by this.

So I am saying that there are standards in terms of how people work with external render engines. And Indigo would (presumable) profit a lot, if it would conform to those standards.

Standards as:
Letting the user stay within the C4D ecosystem. (All option accessable inside C4D - No need for Standalone)
Streamlined Plugin user Interface that is similar to what other renderers offer (INO this is already fine in C4D)
etc.

Thanks again for your time. I will definitely will contact you on Discord.

Cheers,
Raphael
You don´t dream in cryo.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 am

Raphael,

as an immediate measure I can make the image saving options for export work when rendering in the picture viewer - but without supporting the token system.

Would that work for you?

Silverwing

Post by Silverwing » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:54 am

fused wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 am
Raphael,

as an immediate measure I can make the image saving options for export work when rendering in the picture viewer - but without supporting the token system.

Would that work for you?
Yes definitely. This would be awesome!
If you could make sure the output is sequentially numbered so I can render a animation and the images would not override themselves with every frame, that would be super handy :-)

Would be of course nice see my suggestions being worked into the plugin at some point :-)
As I said. If you have questions about the workflow (from a users perspective) I am happy to help.
You don´t dream in cryo.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 am

Silverwing wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:54 am
Yes definitely. This would be awesome!
If you could make sure the output is sequentially numbered so I can render a animation and the images would not override themselves with every frame, that would be super handy :-)
Goes without saying :)

16 posts