Indigo for Revit

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
jukka

Re: Indigo for Revit

Post by jukka » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:05 am

I just downloaded the Indigo for Revit plugin and I already have a bug/omission report, and since I'm not sure where to post it, I'll post it here and you can direct me to the proper place for (hopefully rare) future bug reports.

Since my Windows are using non-english regional settings, so does the Indigo plugin for Revit, which results in decimal numbers being exported with a comma as decimal separator. I suggest you use CultureInfo.InvariantCulture in the exporter class for double-to-string conversions, e.g.:

Code: Select all

String.Format(CutureInfo.InvariantCulture, "{0} {1} {2}", x, y, z)
Edit: After a little investigation, I found out that some numbers are actually exported correctly, so I'm attaching a simple scene exported on my system.
Attachments
scene.pigs
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by jukka on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swizzle20

Post by Swizzle20 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:28 am

I've done a few renders on a simple classroom team project for my school.
Everything works without a hitch in revit 2010. I dont like that when in a custom made 3d view you cannot click on any of the indigo add in buttons, you must change to the simple {3d} view or any other view (floor plan, etc), then you can access the buttons.This is only a minor gripe.
Decals don't show up for me.
What is with the lights?
I like the automatic addition of a sky background color.
Attachments
3.1.jpg
This is the same scene rendered with indigo, but here it's done with the default revit renderer (mental ray). Notice the decals on the corner and the lack of sky background.
dull a bit.jpg
This was done a while ago in 3ds max. I can't get the same bump pattern in the ceiling to show up in indigo.
lights.jpg
Indigo render, only artificial lights on. they look like sno-cones lol. But the lighting definitely looks more realistic than with 3ds max or revit
scene at 270 min, 2100 spp.jpg
I changed no material properties here from the ones already in my revit file. Only sunlight is on here. 270 min render, 2100 sample per pixel. Notice the center of each light shows a dark sphere (lights off).

jukka

Post by jukka » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Swizzle20 wrote:I've done a few renders on a simple classroom team project for my school.
Everything works without a hitch in revit 2010. I dont like that when in a custom made 3d view you cannot click on any of the indigo add in buttons, you must change to the simple {3d} view or any other view (floor plan, etc), then you can access the buttons.This is only a minor gripe.
Decals don't show up for me.
What is with the lights?
I like the automatic addition of a sky background color.
From my experience, Revit integration options are really limited, but I'm sure Autodesk will eventually do a good job. In Revit, perspective (camera) views are a special beast, as if a command was active at all times, and custom Revit extensions can be used only when there is no command in progress, thus the awkward need to switch to a "proper" view.

I actually made a rudimentary Revit exporter almost two years back, but doing a proper material editor was tedious and real life got in the way, so I left it at that. Now I'm kinda sorry I didn't publish it, I could have earned some money, or at least, fame. :) Now that I think of it, my material editor is more complete than this one, LOL.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Hey Swizzle20,
The black meshes for tured off lights is related to a general rule of the thumb to set emitting meshes with a pur black diffuse material, and enable emission the way you like.

By this "tweak" the emitting meshes don't reflect any lights and save rendertime!

For deactivated lightsources you have to adjust the materials for a specific look...

benn

Post by benn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Swizzle,

That's a bug with revit that you can't click on plugins while in perspective view. Can you send us a revit scene with decals? I haven't used them myself so I don't know how to test them. The render you baked looks good - but it definitely needs some texturing. Did you apply textures seperately in 3dsmax or did you use the built in revit textures?

It looks like those lighting fixtures need the light to be replaced with a flat emitter with an IES profile - what are those lightbulbs meant to look like? :)

Jukka - we are going to add more material types to the editor, we intentionally simplfied the material editor, once we have a complete set of basic material types then it'll become the template for how all future indigo plugins will work.

Ben

jukka

Post by jukka » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Benn,

I'm actually more interested in a fix for the decimal number output, so I don't have to change my regional settings every time I want to work with Revigo.

Swizzle20

Post by Swizzle20 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:43 am

benn wrote:Swizzle,

That's a bug with revit that you can't click on plugins while in perspective view. Can you send us a revit scene with decals? I haven't used them myself so I don't know how to test them. The render you baked looks good - but it definitely needs some texturing. Did you apply textures seperately in 3dsmax or did you use the built in revit textures?

It looks like those lighting fixtures need the light to be replaced with a flat emitter with an IES profile - what are those lightbulbs meant to look like? :)

Jukka - we are going to add more material types to the editor, we intentionally simplfied the material editor, once we have a complete set of basic material types then it'll become the template for how all future indigo plugins will work.

Ben

I take back the decal problem, not sure what I changed but they don't show up in the mental ray renderer either now. I will look into it later. As for the render from 3ds max, I did not apply any textures in 3ds max, I just straight up rendered the scene directly from the FBX file exported from revit. It appears that Revigo just takes the color and material type associated with a material defined in the Revit material Editor, it does not automatically extract the texture; those have to be done manually using the Revigo Material Settings-no biggie. As for the lighting fixtures, they're not supposed to have lightbulbs, well, the model does not have a lightbulb, it's just the shell of the lighting fixture.

BTW, any idea if Revigo works with Revit 2011? I just installed 2011 but I'm keeping 2010 installed to use with Revigo.

Thanks for the help.

gaas

Post by gaas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 am

Hi.

I'm a professionally Revit user that have been waiting for a renderer like this. Revits MentalRay isn't worth using.
Is it compatible with Revit 2011??!

Today I go from Revit to C4D, but it would be great to stay in Revit to make nice renders.

/ gaas

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Swizzle20 wrote:I take back the decal problem, not sure what I changed but they don't show up in the mental ray renderer either now. I will look into it later. As for the render from 3ds max, I did not apply any textures in 3ds max, I just straight up rendered the scene directly from the FBX file exported from revit. It appears that Revigo just takes the color and material type associated with a material defined in the Revit material Editor, it does not automatically extract the texture; those have to be done manually using the Revigo Material Settings-no biggie.
Hey,

Getting the texture paths right is still on the todo list.
Swizzle20 wrote:As for the lighting fixtures, they're not supposed to have lightbulbs, well, the model does not have a lightbulb, it's just the shell of the lighting fixture.
Lights are a bit tricky. Indigo does not support point lights or invisible light sources.

But the conversion of light sources will be refined (automatic usage if IES for light fuxtures that use IES) in the next betas.
Swizzle20 wrote:BTW, any idea if Revigo works with Revit 2011? I just installed 2011 but I'm keeping 2010 installed to use with Revigo.

Thanks for the help.
gaas wrote:Hi.

I'm a professionally Revit user that have been waiting for a renderer like this. Revits MentalRay isn't worth using.
Is it compatible with Revit 2011??!

Today I go from Revit to C4D, but it would be great to stay in Revit to make nice renders.

/ gaas
Hi gaas, Swizzle20,

Indigo for Revit is not yet compatible with Revit 2011. I will look into making a version for Revit 2011 in the next days.

fused

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 pm

A new version that fixes the locale issues in the float to string conversion is available.

(the download link hasn't changed, so the link in the instructions pdf is still valid)

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:36 pm

jukka wrote:Edit: After a little investigation, I found out that some numbers are actually exported correctly, so I'm attaching a simple scene exported on my system.
Hey jukka,

just fixed the issue. The reason why some numbers were right is that some of the xml is not generated by the C# plugin :)

iluxa

Post by iluxa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 am

Hello
Thanks for exporter!

I tried to work it ;) ... Yves, i sent bug report to Ben

+. upd.
strange thing with Russian Standards library, especially with view-family.
Change to int.metric, all works.
Also exterior settings invoke

Code: Select all

A problem occurred with the scene:
SceneLoaderExcep: Failed to parse Vec3 from '0,8 0,8 0,8'. (In element 'rgb', around line 8, column 1)
Indigo version: Indigo Renderer v2.4.3, Windows 32-bit Release build.

jukka

Post by jukka » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

@iluxa:

Download the new version of the exporter from the same location, the problem is fixed now.

@fused:

Thx, it's working now.

iluxa

Post by iluxa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 am

Yves, Jukka thanks. Works.
Still don't work with national language/translation pack(russian)...image with error was attached (and it was sent to Ben too). I will try to re-create template file(adding from AD's international metric).
rv02.jpg
BTW, who don't want to modify revit.ini, use addin-manager from revit sdk(support files:support\SDK\RevitSDK\Software Development Kit\Add-In Manager\) ... simply "load"(image attached).
rv01.JPG

narlee

Post by narlee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:49 am

benn wrote:We're going to being releasing the beta version of Indigo for Revit later this week. If you're a Revit user we'd be glad to have you onboard for our beta testing period.

Any Revit users out there?
Where to download the beta (which I assume is a plug-in for Revit 2011)?

36 posts