Indigo 2.4/2.6 roadmap

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Indigo 2.4/2.6 roadmap

Post by pixie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 am

fused wrote:hey guys,

been working on the 2.4 ui a little bit today and i've got a little bit to show off.

this is not reviewed by nick or ben yet, so dont get all exited about it :lol: :P
lightlayers.JPG
I'm eager to see that drop down dropped! ;) I would perhaps replace the rgb sliders by color picker as it would save space.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47 am

Hey fused,
That looks HUGE !!
Can't you guys come up with something a bit more conservative?
No offense, but UI like this would be a step back, if you ask me.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:50 am

TBH I really like the new style of the layers... if they just were collapsable :D

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 am

suvakas wrote:Hey fused,
That looks HUGE !!
Can't you guys come up with something a bit more conservative?
No offense, but UI like this would be a step back, if you ask me.

so you actually prefer this, yeah? :mrgreen:
Attachments
lightlayersold.JPG
lightlayersold.JPG (26.96 KiB) Viewed 4617 times

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:45 am

Ok, sry Fused, maybe I wasn't clear enough. New black theme is cool. I'm fine with that. But the panel itself is still huge. I called it "step back" cause it seemed to be even larger than the current UI (don't have Indigo here at work)

Anyway. I was hoping for a bit more compact solution since the wasted space has been the main issue of the UI. At least in my eyes.

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:44 am

suvakas wrote: Anyway. I was hoping for a bit more compact solution since the wasted space has been the main issue of the UI. At least in my eyes.
+1 yeah I want my screen space as a working area not for panels and doodads - those I want to appear only when I need them - or if they are always there - minimalism effect

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 am

pixie wrote:
fused wrote:hey guys,

been working on the 2.4 ui a little bit today and i've got a little bit to show off.

this is not reviewed by nick or ben yet, so dont get all exited about it :lol: :P
lightlayers.JPG
I'm eager to see that drop down dropped! ;) I would perhaps replace the rgb sliders by color picker as it would save space.
I actually would like to see all 3 options (color picker, slider, and numerical inputs).. Each person has their own preference and with more options, indigo could be better suited to the average person. There could just be a tiny icon off to the right.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it, suvukas. It looks fantastic and any smaller than that and it would start to feel really claustrophobic.

One thing I would however like to is aspect ratio conservation.. So, if we stretch the indigo window, the buttons don't get all stretched.. This is something that I notice in the screenshot. The "Reset" button is consuming a lot of space... If it was made smaller, you could fit the color picker icon in. The more kinds of input, the better. ;)
+1 yeah I want my screen space as a working area not for panels and doodads - those I want to appear only when I need them - or if they are always there - minimalism effect
I don't understand what you mean.. Indigo is not a painting canvas... The idea of elements only appearing when being used is neat and definitely something that deserves looking into, but I dont see how it could be applied here.. How is the light layers aspect supposed to be hidden given that it's part of a drop down menu? Should it simply not appear in the drop down if you aren't using camera tone mapping? Panels and "doodads" are how you work in indigo afterall, so it's kind of hard for that part of your screen to be working space with out them.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:10 am

Here's basically what I mean. Make the panel shorter and more compact.
You gain more space for rendered image + it looks better too imo.
Attachments
indigoUI.jpg
indigoUI.jpg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 am

neo0. wrote:I actually would like to see all 3 options (color picker, slider, and numerical inputs).. Each person has their own preference and with more options, indigo could be better suited to the average person. There could just be a tiny icon off to the right.
I was not thinking in vanishing with the sliders, they would appear when you clicked the color box, but thinking again then perhaps we would lose the interactive part of it.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 am

neo0. wrote:How is the light layers aspect supposed to be hidden given that it's part of a drop down menu? Should it simply not appear in the drop down if you aren't using camera tone mapping?
How exactly is camera tonemapping related to light layers?

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 am

suvakas wrote:Here's basically what I mean. Make the panel shorter and more compact.
You gain more space for rendered image + it looks better too imo.

I was about to create a mock-up, but that's actually perfect. =)

One thing though, perhaps the drop down menu at the top could be extended to the right to make the little gradient box with the rounded edges look more even, and a slight border around that box could be added, like this:
Attachments
1.png
1.png (170.27 KiB) Viewed 4473 times

benn

Post by benn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

I like it yves. :) Very cool.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 am

Hmm.. the panel Fused posted is actually much wider than what Indigo has on my monitor. So my initial feeling was correct - it's much wider than what i'm used to see. =) Probably some screen resolution thing?

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 am

The side panel is resizeable, and at the minimum width is quite compact IMO. We'll hear more from Yves soon ;)

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 pm

lycium wrote:The side panel is resizeable, and at the minimum width is quite compact IMO. We'll hear more from Yves soon ;)
Exactly. It is resizable and defaults to the same size as in 2.2 :)

100 posts