Indigo on OS X, New Gui and beta test group

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:31 pm

crojack wrote:
neo0. wrote:All that would be needed for material previews, would be a fast, optimized scene at low res (100*100 or something), and a fixed number of samples/pixel to obtain a clear render.

This took 33 minutes to render.. Not exactly real time but that could be cut down to a few minutes with decreased resolution and optimized lighting maybe.

It's just a tall cube with a meshemitter assigned to the "ceiling" face.

You do know that there are previews built in to Skindigo.........don't you? :wink:
I must have missed them... Do you know where I might find them?

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 pm

neo0. wrote:
pixie wrote:What would be the benefits of Yet Another 3D Studio?
Well, as kellpossible said there are obviously benefits to having indigo the way it is right now. Simple work flow. I don't like the way kerkythea is and that's why I switched to indigo :) However, there are a few downsides of the "multiple independent exporter" approach :
» When people have trouble (as anyone does, especially newbies), no one can provide assistance until they specify their exporter and exporter version. With over half a dozen exporterts and different versions of each (a stable, a beta, and sometimes even another), the actual number of people here that can help them is very small. This is why it often takes a few days to receive an answer for an issue.
Newbies always be newbies, and we'll be always ther for them, but they would be even more newbies if they needed to learn yet another 3d studio program. And let me just add that stating which your app is and export version isn't the big deal you seem to imply, it's a default procedure, and the sooner people get used to the sooner they will get help, be it here be it in life...
neo0. wrote:
» Lack of consistency between exporters. Blendigo is allegedly the most capable exporter, and skindigo lacks specular reflection for phong materials (aside from manually editing the igm which seems like a bit much to ask for someone who wants to use the GUI.) In order to have access to the most capable exporter, blendigo, you must use Blender which involves overcoming it's high learning curve.
They need consistency regarding the program they are exporting data from, if you don't happen to use the most advanced one, though luck...

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 am

neo0. wrote:
crojack wrote:
neo0. wrote:All that would be needed for material previews, would be a fast, optimized scene at low res (100*100 or something), and a fixed number of samples/pixel to obtain a clear render.

This took 33 minutes to render.. Not exactly real time but that could be cut down to a few minutes with decreased resolution and optimized lighting maybe.

It's just a tall cube with a meshemitter assigned to the "ceiling" face.

You do know that there are previews built in to Skindigo.........don't you? :wink:
I must have missed them... Do you know where I might find them?

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=2317

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=5444

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 am

CTZn wrote:It's attached with the first post StompinTom :)
:oops:

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:18 am

crojack, you are too kind.

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:56 am

just trying to help :twisted:

benn

Post by benn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:46 pm

We've pushed out the first beta version. Head over to the beta forum to download it. :)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:56 pm

neo0. wrote: Skindigo lacks specular reflection for phong materials (aside from manually editing the igm which seems like a bit much to ask for someone who wants to use the GUI.)
Specular reflection is enabled by using a 'Metals' type material and disabling NKdata. The specular reflection will be the same color as the material.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Can you grant me access to the beta-forum, too?
I know it's a bit late, but it seems to like I've got a little bit of time left now... :)

Cheers, David

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:01 am

benn wrote:We've pushed out the first beta version. Head over to the beta forum to download it. :)
Hi Benn,

I sent email requesting beta but no reply - any chance of getting access?

Thanks

Doug
Doug

Doug Armand

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Whaat wrote:
neo0. wrote: Skindigo lacks specular reflection for phong materials (aside from manually editing the igm which seems like a bit much to ask for someone who wants to use the GUI.)
Specular reflection is enabled by using a 'Metals' type material and disabling NKdata. The specular reflection will be the same color as the material.
Sorry guys...

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?

...don't know anything about this, what's this specular reflection enabled calling metals and disabling NK data?!?!?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:14 pm

To be honest, I really dont either, but it lets you make colored metals.. and thats good enough for me! :)

ideas_arte

I too ... please!

Post by ideas_arte » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 pm

I hope not to have come too late ...
I send my 'nda.pdf' I am a novice with IndigoRenderer. Had only to MS Windows and Linux.
Now I am anxious to have my iMac Skindigo on .....!

shifter

Mac osx beta

Post by shifter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 am

I sent in my NDA and was requesting access to the beta.

Thanks

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:08 pm

I sent my nda as well but no access - ah well guess I can wait till it gets released
Doug

Doug Armand

140 posts