Indigo on OS X, New Gui and beta test group

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
ideas_arte

To consider me.

Post by ideas_arte » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Still opportunity? , it would enchant to me to be member of the Group of Test, for Mac OSX version. I send my 'nda.pdf' :?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Please ......! Please ......! Please ......! Please ......! Please ......! To consider me.
:cry:

neepneep
Indigo 100

Re: ???

Post by neepneep » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 am

radiance wrote:Jesus, what's going on here nowadays ?
NDA documents, 6 months legally enforced ?

I'm starting to seriously regret the 1.5 years of apparently free hard work i've put into 'Glare Technologies LTD'.

I'm also starting to regret the whole evening i worked to recover the website data from the old webserver HD, during the 1 week outage last year,
while i was already working on lux, and was claimed performed by onosendai.

If someone with a signed NDA spills any of these 'precious trade secrets', who will get sued, us too ?

Hell, i even see one of my renders used on the frontpage as 'marketing material'.
I never gave anyone permission to do so.

Radiance, the 'biggest idiot' alive.
:(
you want a hug?

tungee

Post by tungee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 am

Ono, what are your plans?
Does that mean you go Commercial?
Music has the right to children!

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Radiance wrote:Radiance, the 'biggest idiot' alive.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Perhaps you should consider keeping your apparent dispute with Ono out of these public forums. :shock:
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm

tungee wrote:Ono, what are your plans? Does that mean you go Commercial?
...so what if it does go commercial? Why do so many people seem to have trouble understanding that people need to get paid for work and that developing software IS WORK? I have many acquaintances that will happily drop $3000 grand on a new computer but then say they can't afford to pay for an OS or other software they "need" and so pirate instead. How does that logic work? When you buy a computer the cost of software should be sitting there on your parts list right next to RAM and CPU. If the total comes out too high then you can't afford a new computer...it ain't rocket science.

The only thing that will change for me if indigo were to go commercial would be a a change in the way I look at it. Indigo would go from a free lunch and a tip jar with a few issues I can deal with to a piece of software I would then have to evaluate on a price vs performance scale alongside it's commercial competitors the same way I do for all other software and hardware on God's green earth.

Now don't get me started on film and music piracy 'cause I think I've ranted enough for one day!

...and by the way tungee that rant wasn't directed at you. Your comment just pulled the trigger on a long time loaded gun.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

bmscmoreira

Post by bmscmoreira » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 am

Well, altough i support open source software (however this is not indigo's case) and i like community driven software, i cant blame no one for having the right to be paid for doing their job. Hell, I often get myself into these awkward situations, almost explaining WHY i have to be paid for doing MY job...
Hope Indigo stays free, or at least at an affordable price... if the mac version turns out to be great, why not pay something for it? Free is great, expensive is not, the right price is just... right.

(psstt psstt.. discount for these beta testers here? lololol)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:55 am

Hi Radiance... hey I'm curious on the specific deceptions you experienced. Just like me if you don't sign you are bound to nothing... What else has changed since you moved to make luxrender ?

Ideally I would not support a fixed price for a product, rather I'd proportionate it with incomes generated by the customer using the product; I believe that's close to the actual Indigo philosophy, from my point of view that is.

Well I'm for free functional products with optional paying services to make it short and ponctual. I'm saying this because sadly, culture was assimilated as a comercial range of products and I want those free for all (as in "this belongs to all"), specifically.

Talking about economical schemes is hot nowadays, one can expect that inovation was unbound by the conjuncture. Reciprocal (product company <-> end user) commercial events can be invented, the technology exists now. Sorry WytRaven, you're sooo old fashion ;)

Cheers
obsolete asset

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 am

tungee wrote:Ono, what are your plans?
Indigo is already commercial.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:34 am

MSUdom5 wrote:
tungee wrote:Ono, what are your plans?
Indigo is already commercial.
:shock: ?

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:37 am

bmscmoreira

Post by bmscmoreira » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 am

It is not commercial, only the SDK is... thats what the previous link says...

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:48 am

Correction: Indigo is commercial software, but the personal-use license is free. :)

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 am

CTZn wrote:Talking about economical schemes is hot nowadays, one can expect that inovation was unbound by the conjuncture. Reciprocal (product company <-> end user) commercial events can be invented, the technology exists now. Sorry WytRaven, you're sooo old fashion ;)

Cheers
I'm not sure I understood that whole paragraph (something lost in translation perhaps) but I must agree with the last statement. You're right I probably am a little old fashioned :lol:

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Radiance! Hi all!
I want to say that I really appreciate you, Rad, and all the efforts you put into the Indigo Community, and the general management of it all. Really. I really think that open source software would experience a really hard life without persons like you. So, anyway, thank for all of your help.

But, frankly, I actually don't understand the point of your claims.. Perhaps I'm a little too ignorant about NDA documents (like..er..what are they..) and legal documents and stuff, but as far as I know (or at least as far as I've got it) open source software is based on spontaneous contribution, so once you contributed the thing you've done is somehow public, free for others to use, in some way.

Apparently I can't understand your point...

And, one last thing: I would never judge 'marketing material' the images on the header. They've been put together from the "Gallery" by Ben (I guess), and they've not been sold at all. I think the aim of the header is to give an idea of what are the capabilities of Indigo, that's it. So I think to that images like a sort of tribute to both Indigo AND authors.

Personally, I'm proud to have being put on the header.

Rafaello

Post by Rafaello » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Ben, I see posts asking to enter the beta testers group without any response, I sent the document and even receive mail from you like twenty seconds after I sent mine asking for my forum name, but after that just silence.
It would be nice to tell us that we can't be members of the beta group putting whatever reason you have but don't let us waiting without anything.

140 posts