Indigo 1.0.4

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
tungee

Post by tungee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm

incredible! :shock:
Music has the right to children!

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:29 pm

well call me thick if you like but I am still confused about this...
what are the units of offset, radius and start angle? metres and deg I presume :roll:
so this is like a mask behind the aperture radius specified round 'hole'? and blade offset should be small enough that all the cut out white bit fits inside that hole?
when the mask is an image it is scaled inside indigo according to the image size so that one side equals what relative to the aperture radius...twice?

sorry :roll:

EDIT: how about we just have a menu to choose from a supplied mask library and use f-stop as the basis?
say 3,4,5,6,7,8 and circular
Last edited by Big Fan on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:33 pm

The unit of blade_offset is normalised image distance. 1.0 = from left to right of aperture image.
Same with blade_curvature_radius. Start angle is measured in radians.

Yup, the blade offset should be small enough so the white part fits in the image without being clipped at the edge.

Yup, the image is effectively scaled down so that the width of the scaled image = aperture_radius * 2.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:38 pm

ah ono :roll: radians :roll: complexity... complexity...will you be unhappy if people use degrees in their exporter UI ?..for ready comprehension that is :wink:

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:41 pm

You can use degrees if you want :)

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:59 pm

ok so heres the lay of the land Big O
increasingly we are moving away from general, non specific, easy to set - doesnt matter too much, parameters to quite specific data and instances.
really the existing blendigo exporter is not set up for to this although it can be adapted some..
if this is to be the future direction I would rather cull a lot of this detail stuff even though you can specify anything you like with your xml and just model say a top line Nikon and Canon digital SLR with some drop down menus for materials and settings etc
I would rather hide all this stuff away from having to worry users about it all. Sort of a point and shoot equivalent of what we are heading to presently. KISS philosophy
What do you think?
Last edited by Big Fan on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Perhaps put the aperture stuff on some kind of 'advanced camera' tab?

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:25 pm

perhaps...my feeling is we should restart development with a different emphasis... wonder what other people think about that :roll:
I guess blenderheads should indicate what sort of exporter they want
-simple to use with an artistic bent
-or complex with a scientific bent
-or simple with complex presets
or... :roll: :D

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:34 pm

itd be nice to have all the options available in the exporter so that making changes/saving settings in the scene would be easier.

how about a 'basic' mode and an 'advanced' or 'hardcore' mode? like have the basic mode have all them presets you were talking about. just cuz for some people each setting changes per scene and its frustrating having to edit the XML each time you export after making a change.

right now it IS getting a bit clunky, especially when you realize ISO and shutter speeds only affect the rendering when camera tonemapping is on (i think). but a very good exporter nonetheless!
in fact, its saving my ass right now...

BbB

Post by BbB » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 am

I wouldn't be able to do anything without the exporter. Hand-editing the XML for me just isn't an option. It would bring me over a threshold where I would just simply leave it, I think. So a good exporter is completely vital to me. And - apologies in advanced to our techies here - I would vote for a relatively easy to use, artistically bent exporter. I do like the latest additions but find some of the implementation intimidating...

But that's just my humble opinion...

EDIT: I may be talking nonsense here, but I wonder if it wouldn't make things easier if most of the tonemapping options were migrated from the exporter to a super-beefed-up version of violet - essentially all the parameters that can be modified in post with in the igs image...
This would allow us to cook a relatively generic image and tune it once its cooked with maximum flexibility rather than having to go through millions of trials and errors with zillions of parameters before you launch the main render...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:03 am

I like to have all parameters at hand reach; presets are an easy way to go if you don't want to bother the user with advanced stuff, and I'd say that's up to exporters devs. But plz don't limit user access to features.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:36 am

BbB wrote: EDIT: I may be talking nonsense here, but I wonder if it wouldn't make things easier if most of the tonemapping options were migrated from the exporter to a super-beefed-up version of violet - essentially all the parameters that can be modified in post with in the igs image...
This would allow us to cook a relatively generic image and tune it once its cooked with maximum flexibility rather than having to go through millions of trials and errors with zillions of parameters before you launch the main render...
One thing Ono mentioned earlier was that the new aperture diffraction stuff when run within indigo has the advantage of working on the full-spectrum light data, whereas I get the impression that an IGI file contains less info than that (only XYZ color).

Can anyone confirm if I understood this correctly?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:56 am

dougal2 wrote:
BbB wrote: EDIT: I may be talking nonsense here, but I wonder if it wouldn't make things easier if most of the tonemapping options were migrated from the exporter to a super-beefed-up version of violet - essentially all the parameters that can be modified in post with in the igs image...
One thing Ono mentioned earlier was that the new aperture diffraction stuff when run within indigo has the advantage of working on the full-spectrum light data, whereas I get the impression that an IGI file contains less info than that (only XYZ color).

Can anyone confirm if I understood this correctly?
Correct.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 am

I vote for StompinTom's idea :)
easy: artistical
advanced: further control (could for example be, that in easy mode, you have all the nks as presets and in advanced, you have your number field...)
and
"hardcore": EVERYTHING in it, tweakable by user - just like the current exporter :)

So, you're planning to rerelease an exporter-version of yours, BigFan? :)

Is radiants meant as normalized and pi will be multiplied by Indigo (1 = 180*) or is it pi=180° ?

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 pm

Can we have a linux 64 native build please Ono? It's been 3 releases since last linux build.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

160 posts