Indigo 1.0.3

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Conz

Post by Conz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:20 am

I'm exploring indigo for some days now and have found a bug.
If you blend a specular material with a textured (albedo) diffuse, than some photons are tunneling the object.

Without a texture the blend material works like expected.
Here is a blend material specular/diffuse (without albedo) after 25 minutes:
amber3_25m.png
and after 1hour and 16minutes:
amber3_1h16m.png

Here the blend materials with a texture (albedo) on the diffuse material after 28m:
amber3_2_28m.png
and after 1h13m:
amber3_2_1h13m.png

I want to render some amber, here is a test with only specular materials:
amber01_20h30m.png
and now i want some dirtmaps on the amber stone. I know it's not possible, but I would love to see some spec/spec blend.

I have made some more material blend tests in the indigo thread of the german blender forum:

http://blendpolis.de/f/viewtopic.php?p=197817#197817
http://blendpolis.de/f/viewtopic.php?p=197965#197965

- All test are inside a closed, inverted box.
- Env. None (lit by mesh emitters)
- Metropolis+Bidirectional, no Hybrid
- tracing Parameters: Max depth:1000
- Light only by emitting planes. Same setup for all tests.

And is it possible to give the indigo_console.exe a heartbeat, too - if you set a host with "-h"?
Currently I use the autosearch in LAN without the -h, because I want to let the slaves running and want to restart only the master. With a defined master with -h the slaves are not restarting, if I restart the master.
In the blender exporter I have added the "-n wm" parameter, in the case I export without GUI. With this params I can start the network rendering from blender.

A "nice to have" would be, if the GUI version could be a render master, too.
That you could see the progression of the network rendering.
Last edited by Conz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:47 am

Important note:
Any kind of blends with speculars isn't defined properly, yet - there is no guaranty, that they work correctly. Blending results will be more or less unpredictable ;)

You don't need to host images externally, you can directly upload them to Indigo as attachments ;)

Any kind of Texture will make the result even less predictable. Either let it away or use the result as is (sry, if I sound harsh.... There is no workaround for that)

I actually got some nice (though physically incorrect) results with blending specular + specular, once for a ruby and once for an amethyst.
The ruby had two materials with different IoRs, the amethyst was rendered twice: once with the two possible colours in two separate crystals and once blended over one mesh :)

I remember that some had serious troubles, but don't know any more, what it was, exactly... but I think, sometimes, the colour got reset...

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:02 am

oh, your Indigo/YafRay tests are nice :)
I've no idea, what you mean with "Final Gathering" but you *can* use only glowing objects to light a scene.
("Mesh emitter")

Your specular+phong is definately better than specular+diffuse ;) try to make the specular transparent ;)
You also could try to blend the specular with a diffuse transmitter. That might be more correct than diffuse, as it is light transmissive ;)

And about the wiki:
Never mind about your english! If you post anywhere, that you added this or that to the wiki, and add, that you need someone to correct it, there sure is someone, who'll help you.
You even could write it in german and let you help from other german users to translate it ;)

Edit: Did a little grammar mistake, that changes the sense of one sentence to the inversed. :? Marked out the change as bold!
Last edited by Kram1032 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conz

Post by Conz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:29 am

Kram1032 wrote:...
I've no idea, what you mean with "Final Gathering" but you *can* use only glowing objects to light a scene.
("Mesh emitter")

Your specular+phong is definately better as specular+diffuse ;) try to make the specular transparent ;)
You also could try to blend the specular with a diffuse transmitter. That might be more correct than diffuse, as it is light transmissive ;)
All my tests are lit only by "Mesh emitter".
I know Final Gathering from other pathtracer. Some kinde of smoothing. But I'm not enought inside the math, to tell if it's possible with indigo.

I'll do some tests with diffuse transmitter, sounds interesting.
Kram1032 wrote: And about the wiki:
Never mind about your english! If you post anywhere, that you added this or that to the wiki, and add, that you need someone to correct it, there sure is someone, who'll help you.
You even could write it in german and let you help from other german users to translate it ;)
Currently I have more the knowledge of a wiki reader, than a writer. ;)
We'll see in the future. ;)
If you want to use some of the test renderings for the wiki - feel free to use 'em.

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:55 pm

lol ma bad. I didnt read this page, I was answering joeglimpoli or whatever

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:54 am

ok, if you don't mean mesh emitters, then I've no idea, what you mean^^

And please reread my post: I corrected a little mistake, that I found 'cause of your quote ;) :)

Woodie

Post by Woodie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:19 am

I never actually thanked Ono and all other people for this exceptional piece of software. Thank you guys.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:57 am

Just to give you some feedback:
I really like how you implemented IES. It is working very well for me so far. Lots of IES files give errors (parsing num lamps, 180 degrees). It would be nice if all variations of IES was supported.

The new network rendering stuff is awesome! It's working great although I've only used the default ports.

Using Windows Vista Home Premium 32.

Cheers,
Whaat

Macrob

Post by Macrob » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 am

Hi Ono! I really like 1.0.3 :)

... is there an linux version with exr support on the way? :D

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:56 am

Macrob, you can get it to run via wine. Follow this tut:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3032
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 pm

ok ono so you modelled camera response... :roll: :wink: and I looked to see about accurate field of view for various real cameras but what about vignetting? is anyone going to be bothered with that?? :?

I see in some news lately hugin is including auto removal of vignetting and also tone mapping when stitching... also HDR is coming
Last edited by Big Fan on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Indigo already has vignetting :)

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:21 pm

is it controllable? how about more that a few word answers :? (your PR is abysmal :roll: )

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Indigo has natural vignetting by default as a consequence of the geometry of the camera model. So it's not controllable. No other type of vignetting is simulated.

Macrob

Post by Macrob » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:08 am

afecelis wrote:Macrob, you can get it to run via wine. Follow this tut:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3032
Thanks, I know.
I just want to use the linux version, because it loads the scene sooooooooo much faster :lol:
But my recent scene uses exr :cry:

48 posts