Indigo Renderer 4.0.55 Beta Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
OnoSendai
Developer

Indigo Renderer 4.0.55 Beta Release

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 pm

This is a Beta release.
If you spot any bugs or problems, please make a post about them in this thread.
Thanks!

Indigo for Windows 64-bit:
IndigoRenderer_x64_4.0.55_Setup.exe

Indigo for Linux 64-bit:
IndigoRenderer_x64_v4.0.55.tar.gz

Indigo for Mac OS X (10.7 - ):
IndigoRenderer4.0.55.dmg

Indigo RT for Windows 64-bit:
IndigoRT_x64_4.0.55_Setup.exe

Indigo RT for Linux 64-bit:
IndigoRT_x64_v4.0.55.tar.gz

Indigo RT for Mac OS X (10.7 - ):
IndigoRT4.0.55.dmg

Changelog:
* GPU PT: Added support for sun + env map sum material.
* GPU PT: Fixed problem with some scenes not rendering when using many textures, especially on Nvidia GPUs.
* Fixed resuming of renders with GPU rendering enabled in the scene.
* Fixed issue where material realtime updates would not show in the material preview.
* Fixed issue where material preview could get 'stuck' after a scene error.
* Fixed property editor back and forwards buttons in dark theme.
* Fixed sun light layer not working correctly on GPU.
* Made pick info work for loaded images.
* Fixed problem with foreground_alpha, non-circular apertures, and vignetting off.
* Improved sampling for sun/sky and env map blends.
* Fixed 2d Voronoi noise looking different on CPU than GPU.
* Increased precision/num digits in texture matrix and offset controls.
* Fixed unpacking of PIGS files being slow when lots of files in the PIGS.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Indigo Renderer 4.0.55 Beta Release

Post by Pibuz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Ono, I tried several tests, but this version of Indigo doesn't seem to consider the change of aperture and obstacle maps when they're done during rendering.
If the changes are applied from sketchup, it exports and renders fine!

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:42 pm

That's odd, works fine for me Pibuz.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 pm

umpf.....

*EDIT*

You're right, it works. I was convinced that the aperture and obstacle maps would affect in a more visible way the direct lights' flares. In this case I tried to replicate the effect I saw in the video and it is indeed working. So, sorry for the false bug-spotting.
Attachments
statuette mod.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:17 am

Nice test :D

fourzeronine

Post by fourzeronine » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:38 pm

So I started to play around with the OpenCL rendering on the network! Its pretty amazing, and is working nicely but it seems like there are many more crashes and hangs with Indigo while changing values in shaders and render settings, even in pure CPU mode. Also, is there a way to delete a material inside of Indigo? Could I request that as a feature?

I did some comparisons with BiDir MLT vs OpencCL and its looking quite good. Here is an example.
Attachments
opencl.jpg
opencl
bidir_mlt.jpg
bidir_mlt

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:50 am

fourzeronine wrote:... it seems like there are many more crashes and hangs with Indigo while changing values in shaders and render settings, even in pure CPU mode.
That is the reason why v4 is still in Beta ;)
If you somehow can provide some more detailed description of the "hangs & crashes" you encounter,
the devs would have a better starting point to fix this stuff. (btw: always use latest GPU drivers!)
Does Indigo give you such a popup for the crash?
crash.png
If yes, then best to follow the instructions and send dumpfile + pigs together with a description how you triggered the problem.
fourzeronine wrote:Also, is there a way to delete a material inside of Indigo?
not at the moment..
fourzeronine wrote:Could I request that as a feature?
Sure, request will be brought into the bugtracker for reconsideration.
fourzeronine wrote:I did some comparisons with BiDir MLT vs OpencCL and its looking quite good. Here is an example.
Raise the GPU raydepth slightly for a result that is similar to the MLT output ;)

fourzeronine

Post by fourzeronine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 am

Zom-B wrote:
fourzeronine wrote:... it seems like there are many more crashes and hangs with Indigo while changing values in shaders and render settings, even in pure CPU mode.
That is the reason why v4 is still in Beta ;)
If you somehow can provide some more detailed description of the "hangs & crashes" you encounter,
the devs would have a better starting point to fix this stuff. (btw: always use latest GPU drivers!)
Does Indigo give you such a popup for the crash?
crash.png
If yes, then best to follow the instructions and send dumpfile + pigs together with a description how you triggered the problem.
fourzeronine wrote:Also, is there a way to delete a material inside of Indigo?
not at the moment..
fourzeronine wrote:Could I request that as a feature?
Sure, request will be brought into the bugtracker for reconsideration.
fourzeronine wrote:I did some comparisons with BiDir MLT vs OpencCL and its looking quite good. Here is an example.
Raise the GPU raydepth slightly for a result that is similar to the MLT output ;)
Thanks for the tips. Ill be starting to play with the Ray depth soon. As for the hangs I don't get any error messages but the strange thing is indigo will be locked up but in the task manager it's using a lot of Ethernet bandwidth when it really shouldn't be using anything at all. Maybe that will be helpful tracking down the bugs. I can also post the pigs here later when I'm back in my office. Typically about 3-4 value adjustments in materials or render settings and/sun sky locked it up Everytime so I was forced to hit save after each adjustment.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Zom-B wrote:
I find that for dark blotches that appear in the OpenCL GPU renders and not in the non-OpenCL CPU renders, the "Max pass depth" has no effect (Min 4- Max 100).

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 pm

TonyD wrote:
Zom-B wrote:
I find that for dark blotches that appear in the OpenCL GPU renders and not in the non-OpenCL CPU renders, the "Max pass depth" has no effect (Min 4- Max 100).
Hey Tony, do you have a simplified scene for upload that can show this effect for us?

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 am

Zom-B wrote: Hey Tony, do you have a simplified scene for upload that can show this effect for us?
Yes, Hi!
This is a scene, look at front of hair on OpenCL vs any of the CPU render modes, MaxDepthPass has no effect.
Something GPU mode does differently:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jihz9wvztbam1 ... .pigs?dl=0
(I dropboxed it)

Regards!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks Tony, this helps a lot. Bug has been verified and has been reported into the Bugtracker.
I also noticed that your scene is some hundreds of meters big. Take care about scene scale to be life like, then your hair also doesn't need a Bump value of 1 meter ;)
I also advice you to blend the hair phong with some Diffuse Transmitter (using the same texture map), so the hair will let some light through, and not block it as it is atm.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Zom-B wrote:Thanks Tony, this helps a lot. Bug has been verified and has been reported into the Bugtracker.
I also noticed that your scene is some hundreds of meters big. Take care about scene scale to be life like, then your hair also doesn't need a Bump value of 1 meter ;)
I also advice you to blend the hair phong with some Diffuse Transmitter (using the same texture map), so the hair will let some light through, and not block it as it is atm.
Hi! Thanks for your feedback on the mechanics of the scene, I value your insight!
-Tony D.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:34 am

Hello, Ono,
Thanks for the work! Can't wait to check it out! I used indigo a little in my last position at an agency and I will use it in a bit in my next. Client's often expect a quick turn around, and any little speed increase in workflow means a lot in an agency environment. I was wondering if there are any plans for UI changes in the near future? Things like render prioritization (being able to tell indigo which parts of your scene should get a great priority), a simplified texture editor - (things like auto mappings, dragging to adjust texture position would be nice), and simplifying material blending with a more drag and drop work flow would be neat.

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:22 am

Welcome back neo0 :D As I understand it, improving our plugins for 3D modelling apps is the major near term priority over the Indigo App itself (which is of course also being improved along the way); I'm not speaking for Nick of course :)

54 posts