IndigoBench - Indigo CPU and GPU benchmark

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
snorky
Indigo 100

Re: IndigoBench - Indigo CPU and GPU benchmark

Post by snorky » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:04 pm

TonyD wrote:Hi, I ran 2 different setups on my rig...
Thanks!
Tony D.
unbelievable
what's the hell!!
what's the system specification?

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 am

snorky wrote:
Thanks!
Tony D.
unbelievable
what's the hell!!
Hello, Win7 64 on Asrock X79 Extreme 11. Titan X on mobo.
Use a pair of Amfeltec splitters for the Titan Z arrangement, and USB Risers for the additional 2 Titan X arrangement.
BIOS won't boot with > 13, so run either of these 2 arrangements (external PSU) depending on strategy.

The Benchmark shows render speed but doesn't actually show real-life process time (ie including OpenCL scene build time, acceleration to top GPU speed...). So it's a funny thing, how it measured them at parity, it just so happens to capture them at 3 tile building passes. However, a 12 Titan Z, arrangement on a larger render (High res, many samples, >3 tile-building passes .igs) would be 'faster', whereas in building a scene quickly at low res and lower samples, and reaching top render speed, 3 Titan X's would be 'faster' (ie for a frame sequence .igq), .

In other words, if IR could build a scene and have the rendering GPUs reach top speed with 12 TitanZ as fast as with 3 TitanX, 12 TitanZ would be faster in all cases. But since with 12 Z it builds OpenCL and reaches top speed slower, the 3 Titan X is actually much faster at pumping out frames. Perhaps more PCI 1x cards slows scene building and reaching top render speed down.

I will note that 4.0.45 BETA was improved to have OpenCL scenes with multi-GPU build much faster than 4.0.44 BETA did!
:)

-Tony D.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:04 am

TonyD wrote:
snorky wrote:
Thanks!
Tony D.
unbelievable
what's the hell!!
Hello, Win7 64 on Asrock X79 Extreme 11. Titan X on mobo.
Use a pair of Amfeltec splitters for the Titan Z arrangement, and USB Risers for the additional 2 Titan X arrangement.
BIOS won't boot with > 13, so run either of these 2 arrangements (external PSU) depending on strategy.

The Benchmark shows render speed but doesn't actually show real-life process time (ie including OpenCL scene build time, acceleration to top GPU speed...). So it's a funny thing, how it measured them at parity, it just so happens to capture them at 3 tile building passes. However, a 12 Titan Z, arrangement on a larger render (High res, many samples, >3 tile-building passes .igs) would be 'faster', whereas in building a scene quickly at low res and lower samples, and reaching top render speed, 3 Titan X's would be 'faster' (ie for a frame sequence .igq), .

In other words, if IR could build a scene and have the rendering GPUs reach top speed with 12 TitanZ as fast as with 3 TitanX, 12 TitanZ would be faster in all cases. But since with 12 Z it builds OpenCL and reaches top speed slower, the 3 Titan X is actually much faster at pumping out frames. Perhaps more PCI 1x cards slows scene building and reaching top render speed down.

I will note that 4.0.45 BETA was improved to have OpenCL scenes with multi-GPU build much faster than 4.0.44 BETA did!
:)

-Tony D.
I think, in essence, it's partly due to longer build time, but also due to short passes not being suitable for many GPUs. The GPUs need to sync and sometimes wait for each other at the end of every pass, and can really start to stretch their legs only when the passes are longer. The devs are well aware of this.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:17 am

Oscar J wrote:
I think, in essence, it's partly due to longer build time, but also due to short passes not being suitable for many GPUs. The GPUs need to sync and sometimes wait for each other at the end of every pass, and can really start to stretch their legs only when the passes are longer. The devs are well aware of this.
Seems like a lot of material IDs (ie individual materials) will slow down the render time, as well as the build time. If you have a model with one master mat, my goodness, Indigo whips through each pass blazing speed on OpenCL (like 1 second!) So, assuming if all GPU ran at same speed, it seems some slowdown factors will be:

-Higher Model Resolution
-Greater # Individual Materials
-More GPUs being fed the data

-Tony D.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:46 am

Slower rendering with increased model and material complexity is sort of expected from any renderer. :) Regarding build time, it's afaik the number of material types in your scenes that matter the most - Indigo has to compile the material types.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:45 am

Oscar J wrote:Slower rendering with increased model and material complexity is sort of expected from any renderer. :) Regarding build time, it's afaik the number of material types in your scenes that matter the most - Indigo has to compile the material types.
Regarding what OscarJ stated about build and rendering speed...
Wonder if this would be possible - a 'Freeze' mode, to:
(1) collapse all individual geometries into a unified mesh, as opposed to handling independent geometry objects.
(2) create a single material map, as opposed to multiple material IDs

As analogy, in multi-track audio, for rendering, a lot of times in a DAW (digital audio workstations) you can 'freeze', or lock, a track's intricate details (ie EQ, delay, chorus, effects), to reduce the rendering time of the final mixdown. Basically, you create a mini render of the track before the final mix. It allows the final mix to go faster.

When OscarJ mentioned the # materials needing a compilation, perhaps we could "ask" Indigo to 'freeze' the render prior to rendering such that it assigns everything otherwise modifiable as 'frozen' (locked), and then after build when it goes into rendering, it will allow the GPUs to go full tilt on the single mesh & material map.
BLAZING SPEED POSSIBILITIES?

-Tony D (with inspiration from OscarJ :P )

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Wait for the next beta... :)

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:25 pm

Oscar J wrote:Wait for the next beta... :)
ME WANT NOW!
ME WANT NOW!

Okay :)

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 am

Ono-Sendai,
idea - Maybe future benchmark we could set # passes?
Even if only available in an offline mode (ie not for uploading/submission to benchmark page), it would be helpful to have an organized comparative metric to see under different rendering scenarios how a GPU arrangement performs on the test scenes.
Thx and Regards,
Tony D.

Tramis

Post by Tramis » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 am

Ok, here goes my wooden pc benchmarks

Indigo Benchmark v4.0.46, Windows 64-bit build.
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (AuthenticAMD) - Bedroom: 0.227 M samples/s
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (AuthenticAMD) - Supercar: 0.488 M samples/s

Quadro 4000 (NVIDIA Corporation) - Bedroom: 0.240 M samples/s
Quadro 4000 (NVIDIA Corporation) - Supercar: 0.794 M samples/s

ak-sam

Post by ak-sam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 am

I only see my CPU, but not my GPU (GTX 1080)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6950X CPU @ 3.00GHz (GenuineIntel) - Bedroom: 1.141 M samples/s
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6950X CPU @ 3.00GHz (GenuineIntel) - Supercar: 2.462 M samples/s

vasco

Post by vasco » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 am

Can not submit new results. Got this error massage:

Error: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <html><head> <title>302 Found</title> </head><body> <h1>Found</h1> <p>The document has moved <a href="https://www.indigorenderer.com/benchmar ... re</a>.</p> <hr> <address>Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) Server at indigorenderer.com Port 80</address> </body></html>

Juju

Post by Juju » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 pm

I got my new OriginPC laptop a little over a week ago, the transition with software is happening as I need it mostly. Crazy busy with year-end projects and will probably only get to it over the holidays.

However, I decided to benchmark it to get a feel, except it doesn't progress past the first part. CPU utilization very low and GPU utilization just about non-existent.

I have a similar problem with Thea Benchmark Tool.

Any ideas?

Machine outline specs:
CPU: Intel i7 7700K (stock)
GPU: nVidia Geforce 1080 (stock) - driver version 388.13
RAM: more than enough
OS drive: m.2 PCIE SSD
Storage: SATA SSD (benchmark tool stored and run from this drive)

Juju

Post by Juju » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 am

I've updated driver to 388.43, restarted, ran benchmark, still isn't progressing past the first part.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 am

The benchmark needs to compile some kernels on the first run, which can take up to a few minutes. It should say so in the log line in the bottom right corner (or maybe the current benchmark doesn't say it, not entirely sure what version is out).

94 posts