Indigo Renderer 4.0.45 Beta Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
arc en ciel

Re: Indigo Renderer 4.0.45 Beta Release

Post by arc en ciel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:38 am

Rendering image sequence, using BiDirectional, in cpu mode off course, and i got the same dilemma, I have to change the sample limit for optimize the rendering time.
I screen shot just before it stop the rendering, the 200 spp limit has been reached,
as you can see the info on image are not updated, the image is not updated
like if I had clicked on "UPDATE IMAGE" button !
It is not done automatically just before recording the image.
Oscar J wrote:Tony: Indigo GPU renders each pass with tiles internally, which means that an image saved in between updated frames would have visible tiles with more noise. There could still be some optimisation for this though. :)
maybe for GPU rendering, limit is number of passes, rather than number of sample
Attachments
DR.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:49 am

Just let it finish, it will update before it saves the frame.

arc en ciel

Post by arc en ciel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 am

I'm rendering 80 frames, I asked 200 spp for limit, and I got less in info, the last auto update is used, i'm afraid.
I tried many times since one hour, if I clicked "UPDATE IMAGE" just before the stop-limit, I got an updated image if not this is the last update that is saved.
I tried to reduce the
<image_save_period>10</image_save_period>
but I feel that this is not effective in this case
Attachments
DRa.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:36 am

Ok, that's weird. That's a fairly new bug I think.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:27 am

I was playing with 'Halt Time' instead of 'Halt SPP'...
I was wondering if 'Halt Time' would 'set' the tile production time window to = target time, but like 'Halt SPP' it acts just as the halt point for the process time in its entirety, meaning you either catch a 'Next Image Update' window or you don't. (I am probably not semantically articulating this well at all...sorry!)

Just for fun, and maybe a philosophical question, but I wonder if this would be possible - to instruct the render process to set the tile build window to match the user's target time or sample, whatever it may be?

Like having, in addition to:
(1) Halt SPP, and
(2) Halt Time,

...which act as parameter halts, you could also have something like:

(3a) Tile Target (Time)
(3b) Tile Target (SPP)

...to give you true rendered image capture points, allowing the user to set the tile build parameters itself?

Admission - I am aiming to shave off as many seconds as possible for each produced image in the animation, so I realize for anyone who renders still images/single-frame renders this all is rather inconsequential :)

Anyway, loving the 4.0.45 build...!
Regards all!
-Tony D.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 am

^ I think that's how it might work in the future, GPU renders to the user defined halt spp directly.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:31 am

A more basic idea...

In Imaging, have a (1) Saturation and (2) Hue/Tint slider to color correct rendered images.
I know you can use the Color Curves graph but it feels a little indirect and less efficient than a true slider would be. For me, it's kind of a haphazard trial and error guessing game sometimes :P

I would welcome these options in addition to the Color Curve graph.

Thanks for any consideration!
Tony D.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:57 am

You can tint the image with white balance. My point of view is that Indigo shouldn't try to be something it's not (photo/video editor).

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:05 am

Since Indigo advertises under it's features "Section planes", how about fixing this? Just a thought. Or am I missing something, was it fixed?

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:36 am

Oscar J wrote:You can tint the image with white balance.
That's a potent tinting mechanism right there! Adds a whole level of image saturation along with the color.
My point of view is that Indigo shouldn't try to be something it's not (photo/video editor).
My point of view is that for an animation, it's almost impossible to mod thousands of frames post-processing. On a film you could do with After Effects, but this is likely limited to overall color masks, which may have artifacts, as opposed to a natural hue or saturation tweak in-render. Such efficient precision tools within renderer would be invaluable!

Thanks!
Tony D.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 am

TonyD wrote:
Oscar J wrote:You can tint the image with white balance.
That's a potent tinting mechanism right there! Adds a whole level of image saturation along with the color.
My point of view is that Indigo shouldn't try to be something it's not (photo/video editor).
My point of view is that for an animation, it's almost impossible to mod thousands of frames post-processing. On a film you could do with After Effects, but this is likely limited to overall color masks, which may have artifacts, as opposed to a natural hue or saturation tweak in-render. Such efficient precision tools within renderer would be invaluable!

Thanks!
Tony D.
No need for sarcasm. Applications like After Effects, Nuke etc have colour controls that are more flexible and powerful than we could ever hope for in Indigo. If you work with 32 bit channels out of Indigo, you'll actually get better quality than Indigo's own LDR tonemapping controls as well.

Hue/Sat controls for textures on the other hand - that'd be pretty nifty.

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:12 pm

Great idea, Oscar!
Okay we have 2 Requests/ideas:

(1) Individual Hue/Sat controls for textures
(2) Simplified Hue/Sat controls for entire render in 'Imaging'

These combined would really add to the powerful art creation tools of Indigo!

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:14 am

Oscar J wrote:You can tint the image with white balance. My point of view is that Indigo shouldn't try to be something it's not (photo/video editor).
100% And let's leave it that way.
Tony D wrote:My point of view is that for an animation, it's almost impossible to mod thousands of frames post-processing. On a film you could do with After Effects, but this is likely limited to overall color masks, which may have artifacts, as opposed to a natural hue or saturation tweak in-render. Such efficient precision tools within renderer would be invaluable!
Hey Tony. Well you can always use some batch process to correct your images thousands or millions does not matter....Even Photoshop can do it and you can also set up automated workflows for that. Or get Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve.
Well...maybe just a measured color chart with on/off setting so you can post correct it with defined data.
OR...if and when Indigo starts using some node action then a simple color correct node will do the trick. And you can connect it where you want to have the desired correction.

Anyways let's get back on testing the betas and make it more robust!

TonyD

Post by TonyD » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:16 am

Well...maybe just a measured color chart with on/off setting so you can post correct it with defined data.

Hi Originalplan - I'm running with this idea of 'defined data'. If we could import/export 'Imaging Profiles' and import them into another rendering session, this would be a nifty feature as well, especially on similar scenes, or time lapsed scenes, where you could match image parameters. Depending on how advanced nodes would get and how far it could go, Indigo, or 3rd party developers, could create advanced 'looks' profiles for renders, or even specific material effects, ie skin or hair, just within the renderer itself.

3 Requests/ideas:

(3) Import/Export Imaging Profiles

Cool!
Tony D.

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Would be nice to have a Chromatic aberration field for the Camera. In main APP and PLUGINS too.
Or on/off option....so it could be generated automatically via real physics in scene.

Just a thought.

91 posts