Indigo Renderer 4.0.38 Beta Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Indigo Renderer 4.0.38 Beta Release

Post by Originalplan® » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Zom-B wrote:
Originalplan® wrote:BUG OSX :Transparent materials (if the have color ((tabulated data)) to them ) lose the color data if rendered on GPU.
yes, tabulated data is one of the few things still not running on the GPU.
Its not a bug, but a missing feature :D
Noted :)

Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 am

Why Indigo 4.0.38 more noisy than 3.8.29 in BidirMLT?

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 am

Can you provide a comparison render?

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:48 am

It is supposed to be faster, not slower. You might want to send that scene to support@indigorenderer.com if possible, so the developers can have a look at it.

Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am

I will try to send

fourzeronine

Post by fourzeronine » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:22 am

Jay-ko

Post by Jay-ko » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 pm

The light come from the windows I suppose, did you use an portal for that?
I have exactly the same kind of scene (interior but with a high level of exterior light).

On my scenes, I know that a indigo sun & sky create less noise than a HDRI.
my 2 cents...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:53 pm

GPU rendering is behaving wierdly for me. I only have a 630m but It's actually slower than "normal" rendering.

With path tracing it just displays a black screen
GPU: 190k samples/sec
CPU: 250k samples/sec

Also getting a case of double vision with the top menu bar
Attachments
IMG_20160621_175844502 (1).jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:12 pm

That your low end mobile GPU is rendering slower than your CPU is nothing weird.

The other issue is a full screen bug in OS X that hopefully will be resolved at some point.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Ah good to know. :)

As someone using indigo professionally (or atleast semi professionally), I would really love to see some improvements to the UI. Im working on a tricky scene right now, and I have drop back over to sketchup to make some changes. Problem is that once I do that, it's really hard to pick up where I left off. I have to screenshot my camera settings and then manually type them back in. It would really help if indigo at least remembered this info. Maybe a project settings option?

The scene window is just sort well.. unexciting. I'm not sure if that's the word but it seems like it's missing something. Trying to use it when you have a complex scene is a little tedious imo. It's a bit like using a phone book. What about icons that quickly helped you to ID materials, etc.?

I guess, as an amateur UI designer, I think Indigo's ui feels pretty functional It certainly gets the job done without a doubt based on all the amazing renders I have seen here over the years. It feels a tad bit mundane though, sort of like a golf cart. But I would like to see more of an evolution. Something to help you get from point A to point B in a more fluid, efficient manor. I have definitely noticed the quicker exports and that's awesome :)

I think the texture editor is sort of in bad need of a revamp. It's like that graveyard from the lion king. Every time I venture into it I get lost inevitably :D There is a tonal scale for histogram but none for the blackbody adjustments, which seems a little inconsistent. I always have to go to wikipedia to figure out what color temp I want and that is kind of distracting. The "pick focus tool" is neat but there is no way to guage your focus plane in 3D space and the open gl preview doesn't show depth of field. I think this would be much better done with a widget, where you could move it around in 3D space.

Still no undo or "history" states panel. . Would love to be able to see color changes to material before i committed the change. Right now they both update side by side.

Material assigning should really be as simple as draging an icon into your scene (draging icons over one another would really simplify blend materials which can be intimidating to new users.) Maybe have the option of adjusting blend values with sliders on top of said icons which would greatly speed things up. :)

Speaking of materials, seeing something a bit wierd. Takes multiple clicks to select the "Pick material" button and it's not highlighted upon selection like it's neighbor.

Any other UI/UX designers here would be interested in revamping the UI? I think it would go along way to getting indigo on the radar for the creative industry :) It can definitely deliver professional results, but I would love to see a ui that is on par with it's impressive quality. :)

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:02 pm

neo0. wrote:Im working on a tricky scene right now
Wouldn't be better to show off the intricacy a bit more? Like, a screenshot or few of them, so that it's possible to see the thing. The reason is that it could be a matter of the particular workflow. Or workflaw :)
neo0. wrote:The scene window is just sort well.. unexciting.
It is consistent multiplatform themeable responsive scene window with an editable layout. I am excited, tbh.
neo0. wrote:It certainly gets the job done without a doubt based on all the amazing renders I have seen here over the years
Very much agree with you on this.
neo0. wrote:tonal scale for histogram but none for the blackbody adjustments, which seems a little inconsistent.
Not catching this one - do you mean tabulated spectrum and it's scale vs. blackbody setting?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ectrum.gif
neo0. wrote:...which would greatly speed things up. :)
Manually edit XML could sometimes speed things up even more. :P
neo0. wrote:Speaking of materials, seeing something a bit wierd. Takes multiple clicks to select the "Pick material" button and it's not highlighted upon selection like it's neighbor.
This could be a bug (at least, under some specific conditions). For me it works.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm

neo0. wrote: As someone using indigo professionally (or atleast semi professionally), I would really love to see some improvements to the UI.
Well don't even get me started on that topic :D. Hopefully there will be some in the future....

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Originalplan® wrote:Well don't even get me started on that topic :D. Hopefully there will be some in the future....
'Au contraire' let get it started! xD

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:28 pm

pixie wrote:
Originalplan® wrote:Well don't even get me started on that topic :D. Hopefully there will be some in the future....
'Au contraire' let get it started! xD
Well let's make a Move in the right direction on this topic then. ;)

Have a look here:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =UI+design

51 posts