Indigo Renderer 4 public beta

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
OnoSendai
Developer

Re: Indigo Renderer 4 public beta

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:46 am

CTZn wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:Have updated all download links in the first post to v4.0.36.
Thanks, veeery nice changelog ! There's just this point, generally speaking though:
* Not writing some XML elements if they have the default values - in <mesh>, <model2> etc..
Please keep in mind that Indigo's output is the main, if not the only autonomous source for looking up new features and other XML changes. I think it's fine as long as the change will allow developers to reproduce a functional code. That said, default values in meshes & models are trivial data indeed.
Agreed. The proper solution in this case is better documentation though.

RajUS

Post by RajUS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

OnoSendai wrote:(Although we could look at lowering this requirement if it doesn't work on too many people's computers)
please do. the program should determine what's available and then decide which featues to use.
also for a renderer with gpu support this makes even less sense because those users are more likely to invest in gfx cards instead of cpus.

DanJ

Post by DanJ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm not sure if it is a bug or intentional, In Skindigo, whenever I export, it doesn't matter if I select GPU Rendering or not as once it has exported it Indigo remembers the rendering mode it was last on.

Not sure if that makes sense, I can plan round it so its not a problem.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:48 pm

DanJ wrote:I'm not sure if it is a bug or intentional, In Skindigo, whenever I export, it doesn't matter if I select GPU Rendering or not as once it has exported it Indigo remembers the rendering mode it was last on.

Yeah, this used to work a few betas ago, but doesn't anymore.

DanJ

Post by DanJ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Oscar J wrote:
DanJ wrote:I'm not sure if it is a bug or intentional, In Skindigo, whenever I export, it doesn't matter if I select GPU Rendering or not as once it has exported it Indigo remembers the rendering mode it was last on.

Yeah, this used to work a few betas ago, but doesn't anymore.

Thanks, I have used it to my advantage so it has been useful to be fair

contegufo

Post by contegufo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi

One suggestion; It could be useful in the render region Indigo gui option only render an object as if they were on different levels, excellent for quick preview of specific parts.

A question; What is the meaning of the FSSS checkbox if you already have chosen this type of material?
Attachments
ON checkbox.jpg
OFF checkbox.jpg
FSSS.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:30 am

I'm not sure but I think Fast SSS is actually two things in one.

1. The glossy transparent material commonly used for SSS materials is (internally) replaced with a coating on top of a diffuse transmitter material which is much faster to render. This is the "surface" part of the Fast SSS optimisation.

2. The Fast SSS type medium is a faster approximation of the traditional unbiased SSS medium. This is the volume part of the Fast SSS optimisation, and is actually not implemented on GPU yet. Rendering a Fast SSS material on GPU will just be a coating on top of a diffuse transmitter, which is actually often enough to achieve an SSS-like look.

Oh, and I definitely agree about the region render thing. :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 am

Useful info Oscar, thanks. I found out that the fastSSS material was unproper for fire rendition because it can not be airthin. Now I know why !

I'll be investigating the medium part now.

edit: Indigo is not saving the medium's <fast_sss> tag atm, but it is reading it if present.

contegufo

Post by contegufo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:59 am

Oscar J wrote:I'm not sure but I think Fast SSS is actually two things in one.

1. The glossy transparent material commonly used for SSS materials is (internally) replaced with a coating on top of a diffuse transmitter material which is much faster to render. This is the "surface" part of the Fast SSS optimisation.

2. The Fast SSS type medium is a faster approximation of the traditional unbiased SSS medium. This is the volume part of the Fast SSS optimisation, and is actually not implemented on GPU yet. Rendering a Fast SSS material on GPU will just be a coating on top of a diffuse transmitter, which is actually often enough to achieve an SSS-like look.

Oh, and I definitely agree about the region render thing. :)

I think they are necessary explanations by the developers but especially some tutorials otherwise is experienced at random!

davide445

Post by davide445 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:09 am

I know this is still a beta, but curios to know if someone does have the opportunity to compare 4.0.x GPU rendering on the same scene with one of the other GPU renderer available on the market.
Of course Indigo will become only better from beta to stable, but I suppose will be probably not a 100% speed up.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 am

Sure, here are the latest versions of Indigo and Cycles in comparison.
Attachments
opencl indigo vs cycles.jpg

davide445

Post by davide445 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:15 am

Any more realistic scene to compare? What about achieving the same spp? :)

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 am

Not sure achieving the same samples are as good a comparison. Indigo achieves the same number of samples in about 8 seconds as Cycles does in two minutes (and actually looks comparable :) ).

Heres a very simple interior comparison. I made Cycles have the same num. of bounces and even optimised render tile size and used multiple importance sampling for the HDRI. Not sure what else to try. :)
Attachments
indigo cycles.jpg

davide445

Post by davide445 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:24 am

Now we need only waiting someone testing also on Luxrender, Octane, VrayRT :)
Last edited by davide445 on Thu May 05, 2016 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Oscar J wrote:Not sure achieving the same samples are as good a comparison. Indigo achieves the same number of samples in about 8 seconds as Cycles does in two minutes (and actually looks comparable :) ).

Heres a very simple interior comparison. I made Cycles have the same num. of bounces and even optimised render tile size and used multiple importance sampling for the HDRI. Not sure what else to try. :)
is it using gpu, at all? :P

560 posts