Indigo Renderer 3.8.0 Beta Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
kklors

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.8.0 Beta Release

Post by kklors » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 am

Zom-B wrote:
Phil wrote:Hi,
It seems that 3.8 is much darker as 3.6.26
See picture, left is rendered with 3.6.26 and right is rendered with 3.8.
(camera tonemapping)
Interesting,

What Exporter do you work with?

Can replace your object by a simple sphere and verify that this behavior, then upload the scene?
I had the same issues when trying out 3.8. in pretty much any scene.
The result didn't look better or worse, just different. Especially Phong with bumps and emitter textures looked different.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:02 am

Where are them devs at?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 am

kklors wrote:I had the same issues when trying out 3.8. in pretty much any scene.
The result didn't look better or worse, just different. Especially Phong with bumps and emitter textures looked different.
There has been some changes to the Phong code afaik, but nothing that changed the whole result that much!
Haven't noticed anything in my day by day work with Indigo so I thought its maybe exporter related -.-'
Is this a bug, or maybe the fix of a bug XD
Oscar J wrote:Where are them devs at?
Maybe in vacations and they have forgotten to tell...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:40 am

Spotted crash with semi-massive instancing using <model>, 3.6 stable doing fine. In this case some declared meshes were not used if that helps.

Also a quick note to thank you Ono for the blog feature, I was moved by the 17kb thingy ! Great performances improvements with indigo 3.8, along with the others.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

Hi guys!
I have some issues working with HDR maps: when I try to change anything through the GUI Indigo freezes.
Strange is to notice that in the app manager it is actually working fully.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 am

CTZn wrote:Also, could the following be explained ?
* Shader eval functions, and some others, now require an 'env' argument of type 'opaque'. Old shaders will be automagically fixed up.
How can I get to the new pyroclastic noise ? It looks like a reverse ridged noise, is it ?
Yup, here it is:
Attachments
pyroclastic_noise_test.igs
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Rado Volmut wrote:Hello,
speedup is great, but I have problem with slaves , after installing version 3.8 ( master and slaves too ), slaves can´t connect to master server.
Thanks
Will fix soon.

riley1389

Post by riley1389 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 am

So I'm trying out 3.8 and I can definitely see that there's work to be done.

- Can't render my scene with GPU acceleration enabled (OpenCL-AMD Radeon R9 290) (Latest stable graphics driver: 14.3)
- My stats for system rendering same scene with the same conditions (My CPU is an Intel 4770k)

Indigo 3.8 Indigo 3.6 (CPU) Indigo 3.6 (CPU+GPU)
-------- -------------- -------------------
SPP = 47.96 SPP = 9.29 SPP = 22,655

Samples/s = 416k Samples/s = 398k Samples/s = 1294k

So what I can conclude from my own findings, is that Indigo 3.8, as it stands now, brings a massive improvement to CPU only samples per pixel processing; however, at least in my situation, there is a much less significant improvement for the samples per second, (that being said, it's still an improvement.)

Unfortunately, without my scene being able to, as of yet, use GPU acceleration in 3.8 without it crashing immediately, Indigo 3.6 with GPU acceleration, in my case, is the far superior option. But I am definitely super excited to see the optimizations the stable release brings to GPU acceleration front and OpenCL's potential!

Keep up the great work!

Other possibly useful information:

- Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
- CPU: Intel 4770k @ 3.5Ghz
- GPU: MSI AMD Radeon R9 290 (Reference Design)
- RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600 RAM
- 3D Software Used in Conjunction With Indigo: SketchUp Pro 2014 and Blender 2.7

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:42 am

riley1389 wrote:So I'm trying out 3.8 and I can definitely see that there's work to be done.
Jump ahead and try the latest Indigo 3.8.3 version since there has been some fixes & speedups done since then!
riley1389 wrote:Can't render my scene with GPU acceleration enabled (OpenCL-AMD Radeon R9 290) (Latest stable graphics driver: 14.3)
there is 1 14.4 WHQL driver, and if that doesn't work try the 14.6 beta: http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/d ... t-packages
BTW: Can you monitor your GPU RAM while trying to start the render?
riley1389 wrote:So what I can conclude from my own findings, is that Indigo 3.8, as it stands now, brings a massive improvement to CPU only samples per pixel processing; however, at least in my situation, there is a much less significant improvement for the samples per second, (that being said, it's still an improvement.)
The devs enhance Indigo in multiple ways over the versions, comparing only the SPS is a bad idea here, since not only the sample count, but also the sample quality is important! Material enhnacements maybe don't strike in higher SPS (maybe even slower!) but in less noise in the same rendertime!
Check this example of 3.8.2 vs 3.8.3, where the wooden phong material renders way better:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 79#p127179

riley1389 wrote:Unfortunately, without my scene being able to, as of yet, use GPU acceleration in 3.8 without it crashing immediately, Indigo 3.6 with GPU acceleration, in my case, is the far superior option. But I am definitely super excited to see the optimizations the stable release brings to GPU acceleration front and OpenCL's potential!
Lets hope the OpenCL renderer gets some more love in the future, until then for you its important to use the latest (beta) drivers with your quite new GPU architecture!

Thanks a lot for the Bugreport and the detailed information!

If you still have issues with your scene you should consider to upload it for the devs to test it and hopefully find & fix the issue :)

54 posts