Indigo Renderer 3.6.9 Beta Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Voytech

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.6.9 Beta Release

Post by Voytech » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:08 am

DavidAn86 wrote:thanks, for your post ,i can`t find an answer at the searchlist.
another idea?

Dave
Seems like there's a bug with AMD CPU's and GPU acceleration. Ono mentioned he was aware of it, so I guess it's up to him to respond regarding a fix.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 am

DavidAn86 wrote:thanks, for your post ,i can`t find an answer at the searchlist.
another idea?
I'm on a AMD 1090T and a HD7950 GPU, Catalyst 13.2 works fine here!

create a .cmd file in Indigo folder with following code inside:

Code: Select all

indigo_console.exe --gpu_info
PAUSE
run that file and paste the output here!

make also sure to use latest C4D Exporter from here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=12247

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 am

Voytech wrote: On a successful frame, the DNS Lookup still fails but the "ListenerThread" line is not there and slave connects.
Hi Voytech,
Thanks for the great bug report.
I have run into this before. It's quite annoying.
Basically the OS hangs on to the socket that the render server (Indigo GUI) is trying to bind to, causing the bind to fail, and hence for network rendering to fail.
I have a modified Indigo version to send you to try out, I'll contact you by email later tonight.

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 am

OnoSendai wrote:
Voytech wrote: On a successful frame, the DNS Lookup still fails but the "ListenerThread" line is not there and slave connects.
Hi Voytech,
Thanks for the great bug report.
I have run into this before. It's quite annoying.
Basically the OS hangs on to the socket that the render server (Indigo GUI) is trying to bind to, causing the bind to fail, and hence for network rendering to fail.
I have a modified Indigo version to send you to try out, I'll contact you by email later tonight.
Oh giddity! Can't wait to try it!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Voytech wrote:
another idea?

Dave
Seems like there's a bug with AMD CPU's and GPU acceleration. Ono mentioned he was aware of it, so I guess it's up to him to respond regarding a fix.
Ah well I assumed that the issue was all different. My mistake Dave.

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 am

Ok Nick... The new messages are more detailed but the problem prevails. What's the "timeout" for the port? The networked render only takes about 90 seconds per frame of the animation.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:38 am

Voytech wrote:Ok Nick... The new messages are more detailed but the problem prevails. What's the "timeout" for the port? The networked render only takes about 90 seconds per frame of the animation.
Yeah, can replicate on the Mac here. The timeout is OS defined, it's probably 30 s or so.

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:46 am

OnoSendai wrote:
Voytech wrote:Ok Nick... The new messages are more detailed but the problem prevails. What's the "timeout" for the port? The networked render only takes about 90 seconds per frame of the animation.
Yeah, can replicate on the Mac here. The timeout is OS defined, it's probably 30 s or so.
Bummer. I suppose it's a pretty rare scenario as most people will let the scene bake for much longer (and most would be on PC's I guess).

DavidAn86

Post by DavidAn86 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 am

Zom-B wrote:
another idea?
I'm on a AMD 1090T and a HD7950 GPU, Catalyst 13.2 works fine here!

create a .cmd file in Indigo folder with following code inside:

Code: Select all

indigo_console.exe --gpu_info
PAUSE
run that file and paste the output here!

make also sure to use latest C4D Exporter from here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=12247
Thanks for your Answer.The newer C4D Exporter is the winner. May Exporter was to old.
Thanks Zom-B

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:06 am

Voytech wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:
Bummer. I suppose it's a pretty rare scenario as most people will let the scene bake for much longer (and most would be on PC's I guess).
I think i have a fix for this problem. I have also made the server try and rebind for 60 s if it fails initially.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 am

Indigo chokes up whenever I try to add an ISL shader to any medium scattering or absorption channels on a large scale. Works with little test (2m cube, etc.) but seems to stall when changing render modes or restarting the rendering with larger objects (world sphere with fog in it, for example).

EDIT: Could this be due to the camera being inside the medium?
EDIT2: Nope, still happens when camera is outside. Seems to only happen to very large objects. Locks up and I have to kill Indigo from the Task Manager.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:17 am

Rendering the atmosphere medium for instance used to work best on Path Tracing...

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:32 am

StompinTom wrote:EDIT: Could this be due to the camera being inside the medium?
In general its recomended to keep your camera inside your fog/whatever medium to reduce ray computation, otherwise you end up with:
camera <> air medium <> fog medium

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:06 am

Hi all!
..I HAVE TO bump an old "issue", if it's ok to call it that way..

I am recently working a lot with EXR maps used as environment lighting for indoor shots along with emitters, used for the interior lights (neons, leds, etc..). As a matter of fact, Indigo dedicates more calc power to more powerful emitting sources, and I usually come to set 1lm for the exr and 20.000.000 lm for the other lights. Nevertheless, the calculation is still absurdly unbalanced in favour of the EXR map, which I have to push down to 0.001 scale using its light layer in the GUI: it keeps on converging very very soon, compared to all the other poor lightsources. Maybe I'm using the values (scales and powers) the wrong way, and somebody can suggest me a more correct technique! Thanks to all!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 am

Pibuz wrote:Hi all!
..I HAVE TO bump an old "issue", if it's ok to call it that way..

I am recently working a lot with EXR maps used as environment lighting for indoor shots along with emitters, used for the interior lights (neons, leds, etc..). As a matter of fact, Indigo dedicates more calc power to more powerful emitting sources, and I usually come to set 1lm for the exr and 20.000.000 lm for the other lights. Nevertheless, the calculation is still absurdly unbalanced in favour of the EXR map, which I have to push down to 0.001 scale using its light layer in the GUI: it keeps on converging very very soon, compared to all the other poor lightsources. Maybe I'm using the values (scales and powers) the wrong way, and somebody can suggest me a more correct technique! Thanks to all!
Yes, definitely a old unsolved problem with multiple light sources :/

By only lowering your EXR LightLayer dow to 1% Indigo still puts 10000 times more computation power in calculating it!!!

Instead raise your other lightsources by a factor of 10000, so the become "importent" again and get some CPU time!
(maybe factor 1000 or 100 is already fine)
Last edited by Zom-B on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

93 posts