123 posts
Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.0 and Indigo RT

Post by Headroom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 am

joeyslucky22

Post by joeyslucky22 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:32 am

Just voicing my opinion here but the new OpenGL preview and real time rendering in 3.0 is FREAKIN' AWESOME! It's such a big time saver working in SketchUp! Excellent work, thanks guys!!

marcus3d

Post by marcus3d » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:53 am

i don't like to say this as i think that indigo makes really good render, the best for me as reality renders but... about the velocity i think that it isn't still ready to fight with biased engine as vray and other unbiased engines with gpu....

I downloaded the demo version of indigo render 3.0 and i was so exctied to try the gpu new feature but after some tests with my asus geforce gtx 590 (two cards together - 1,5 Gb + 1,5 Gb) that i can use only one card in indigo (why???? - octane, arion and iray can use all !!!) i can say this:
- it is not so fast and i don't understand why... only 1.5 - 2 x max of the cpu engine (octane is really more faster - 5-6 x of indigo)
- using gpu instead of only cpu i don't see so better result in the same time, i attach some images to test this

for me the best image is:
- bidirectional and mlt with 2.10 hours instead of 5 !!!

i hope you can solve and increase the potentiality of the velocity with gpu of this interesting engine

i tried everykind of engine, even maxwell but i like more this for the result...

ciao, good work!!
marco
Attachments
ufficio_2.10 ore_indigo-bidirectional e mlt.jpg
2 hours and 10 minutes with bidirectional and mlt
ufficio_5.17ore_indigo-path e mlt.jpg
5 hours and 17 minutes with path and mlt
ufficio_5.51ore_indigo_gpu.jpg
5 hours and 51 minutes with path and GPU

davidbaird

Post by davidbaird » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:36 pm

CONGRATULATIONS ON 3.0

I just upgraded to 3.0 + bought another full new license!

And I bought 2 node licenses as well so ...........I want to see you guys succeed!!!

I use the Skindigo plug-in & it's great too!

However- Dudes you need to MARKET(CREATE AWARENESS of) Indigo!

Just searched SketchUpucation &.................not much there since an announcement of 2.4.......just saying...........

I know you will get to it once you catch up on sleep!

Congrats again, from Nashvegas!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 pm

marcus3d wrote:- using gpu instead of only cpu i don't see so better result in the same time, i attach some images to test this
Hey Marcus, atm Indigos GPU mode only supports pure PathTracing. In Scenes that benefit from MLT and/or BiDir the extra brute-force power of GPU based PT can convergent slower even with massive samples/second due to the less suitable render mode.
joeyslucky22 wrote:after some tests with my asus geforce gtx 590 (two cards together - 1,5 Gb + 1,5 Gb) that i can use only one card in indigo (why???? - octane, arion and iray can use all !!!) i can say this:
Multi GPU support is a target for sure in future releases!

marcus3d

Post by marcus3d » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm

i don't understand why it is not faster than cpu with a fast graphic card, i have the fastest at moment! gtx 590!
only 2x with this scene

with octane that it is only gpu engine i have 3x of indigo velocity why???
can i make something to make faster?
i have even a lot of pc in my company that i can use, will increase the velocity a lot?
dual intel and some i7
5-6 pc

about the materials ?
no more database? how can i save the materials that i make indigo?
in c4d i haven't those materials if i made out of the program
when i export again the project from c4d i loose all the configuration of the file in indigo?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 pm

marcus3d wrote:i don't understand why it is not faster than cpu with a fast graphic card, i have the fastest at moment! gtx 590!
only 2x with this scene

with octane that it is only gpu engine i have 3x of indigo velocity why???
can i make something to make faster?
Please define the way talk about "velocity"!
It seems you are referring to samples/second and doing so you compare apples with cars here!
Please set Render Path depth of octane to 10000 as it is in Indigo and redo you tests XD
But talking serious, the samples/second is just a Application internal hint for performance, other Engines
calculate different, even if using "Path Tracing" as their base render Architecture.
The only way to compare speed is to set up a test scene in both engines and render for the same amount of time. But this testing scenario takes quite some experience in material and lightning of both engines and thats the reason why most of such comparisons suck and aren't unbiased ;)
marcus3d wrote:i have even a lot of pc in my company that i can use, will increase the velocity a lot?
dual intel and some i7
5-6 pc
Yes, adding salves via network rendering is a great way to speed up rendering, two slave licenses are included into the full Indigo license!
marcus3d wrote:when i export again the project from c4d i loose all the configuration of the file in indigo?
You can save the igs file from the Indigo GUI

Googog Mogog

Post by Googog Mogog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:55 am

I have done some tests with indigo 3.0 trial. And i like it very much.

Question is why not support other rendering modes with GPU+CPU?

Also path tracing really worked well with GPU+CPU. I have 1 image which takes 8 hrs to render on my pc in indigo 2.0. In indigo 3.0 it takes 5 hrs nice job! It has a subsurface scattering material and with GPU it takes 1 hr 30 min
with my (GTS 250) graphic card.My PC is dual core 2.20 Ghz.

And also i have done some hardcore instancing with GPU in indigo 3.0 and it renders fast no problems no crash.

And for those who say octane is good.

Lets compare it!

*Indigo render 3.0 GPU*

Can handle large scene.

support high number of high res instances in GPU.

Render all types of materials.
Including subsurface scattering.

Same Quality. .

No crash.

Higher number of samples and Image Quality.

Works with low to high end 3d cards.

Indigo renderer 3.0 cannot fry your 3d card.

*Octane render*

Cannot handle large scenes.

High number of instances are not supported.

Cannot render all types of materials.
Cannot support subsurface scattering.

Quality not as good as Indigo.

Octane render suddenly crash at any time.

Shoots lower number of indirect light samples then indigo.

Works good only with high end 3D cards.

Octane render can fry your 3D card.

*INDIGO WINS. BETTER THEN ALL UNBIASED RENDERERS AND CPU+GPU RENDERERS*

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:39 am

Googog Mogog wrote:Question is why not support other rendering modes with GPU+CPU?
Thats not a "choice" of the Glare devs, but simply a technical limitation atm. Doing MLT on the GPU is "State-of-the-Art" at the moment and only available in experimental branches of some render engines around. Its simply not robust enough and new territory atm... Priority for Glare is a Product that works for professional use first, and that is top priority!
Same goes for BiDir, but here I even don't know about any experimental stuff around that does BiDir on GPU atm... (but I'm also not that smart as I try to look like ^^)
Googog Mogog wrote:...Higher number of samples and Image Quality...
As I told before, don't put to much weight into the number of samples, its the sample quality that is important, and thats best to see in the resulting image quality.

Googog Mogog

Post by Googog Mogog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 am

Zom-B wrote:
Googog Mogog wrote:Question is why not support other rendering modes with GPU+CPU?
Thats not a "choice" of the Glare devs, but simply a technical limitation atm. Doing MLT on the GPU is "State-of-the-Art" at the moment and only available in experimental branches of some render engines around. Its simply not robust enough and new territory atm... Priority for Glare is a Product that works for professional use first, and that is top priority!
Same goes for BiDir, but here I even don't know about any experimental stuff around that does BiDir on GPU atm... (but I'm also not that smart as I try to look like ^^)
Googog Mogog wrote:...Higher number of samples and Image Quality...
As I told before, don't put to much weight into the number of samples, its the sample quality that is important, and thats best to see in the resulting image quality.
As i can see the only renderer that supports all types of materials and handling large scenes with GPU without frying your 3D card is Indigo render 3.0 and still render them fast and in realtime also.

You can try octane or arion with large scenes i am sure you will get a crash or will suffer low speed or your card
will be burst. I am not disrespecting other companies and their products. But for honorable talk these are the facts that most people don,t know.
I downloaded indigo 3.0 trial 1 day ago did some large scene test i don,t see any type of problem no crash in realtime GPU no hot temperature problem with 3d card. And being honest Indigo 3.0 works with low end 3d cards also.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:53 am

Googog Mogog wrote: As i can see the only renderer that supports all types of materials and handling large scenes with GPU without frying your 3D card is Indigo render 3.0 and still render them fast and in realtime also.
That's exactly why Indigo is usually my go-to renderer: it handles massive scenes very well. It loads fast, it\s reliable, doesn't crash and produces beautiful results.

djegoo
Indigo 100

Post by djegoo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 am

StompinTom wrote:
Googog Mogog wrote: As i can see the only renderer that supports all types of materials and handling large scenes with GPU without frying your 3D card is Indigo render 3.0 and still render them fast and in realtime also.
That's exactly why Indigo is usually my go-to renderer: it handles massive scenes very well. It loads fast, it\s reliable, doesn't crash and produces beautiful results.

Totally agree. Indigo can handle massive scenes even with low end computers.

Congratulations to GLare Tech team, this new release is awesome. GPU helps, even if my gpu card is a little bit weak, it s still samples and time won on long renders !

good job !!

marcus3d

Post by marcus3d » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am

i am agree with you for the fact that it is really stable and render big scenes.
i am agree with you that it makes very realistic rendering
i hope that it will use better gpu in future and every gpu is on pc, i have 2 but it use only one

i am thinking to buy it but i have some questions:
- can i use on multiple pc?
- i have computer at home and at work, i would like to use on my pcs surely not in the same time, it is possible? how can i solve the problem??in maxweel and octane it is possible

pixym

Post by pixym » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for these informations Poli ;-)
Polinalkrimizei wrote:
pixym wrote:Hi all,
King Cong for this release ;-)
Is there a way to change the sun lighting or at less its direction inside indigo 3?
As a lightwave user, I do not have the chance to test indigo with my fav. software. Is there a chance for a plug-in that will allow lightwave users to work fully with indigo 3?

Best.
Hey pixym,

indigo supports not only sun & sky to illuminate your scene, but also all kinds of mesh emitters, and environment maps, and you are able to illuminate your scene with a uniform background colour.
For sun & sky, of course the position of the sun is adjustable, but you usually do that in your modelling app, not within indigo itself (it is technically possible by altering the indigo scene .xml-file, but not really advisable). Sadly, to my knowledge, there is no lightwave exporter in development, at least not officially. Glare?

Best Regards!

Prof4D

Post by Prof4D » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 am

Me Indigo has already got the errors. Also has bothered to repeat one and too.
Why emitters depend on plotting scale? The it is less, the it is more than noise. The sun not
Works with an illumination source, it is not clear in what units works Indigo.
Constant reexhibiting. Your notorious Ренхард this worst that was possible
To think up. It would be desirable to see the advanced instruments for such cursor. The sun and the Sky it in general a nightmare. In general I always turn out shades from the sun. It is necessary for you consultation of technicians and professional artists. For a year that I use
Indigo I am constant any problems I can not to work normally. I cannot understand till now, how works Indigo, it is necessary to reduce emitters as surprises begin. I have already tried all tunings. I any more do not speak about IES files. Now there was version 3.0 рендер, proceeded 30 hours with the permission 1000 668, and the permission 2000 1336 we multiply it for a while on 3 = 90 hours. Before the image miscalculation will begin there pass 30 seconds. There is no material glass. There are no illumination preparations.
I am very interested in a qualitative efficient product. I have expressed only the opinion.

XEON 5506
GTX 460 2GB
Attachments
im1308134661.jpg
Bidirectional MLT.jpg
GPU.jpg
Bidirectional  1MLT.jpg

123 posts