Indigo 0.7 test 1

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
zuegs

Post by zuegs » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 am

Hi Nick,
I tryed using bump-maping with v0.7t1 but it hasen't worked for me :oops: . Could you have a look on bump-mapping please??? :roll:
Thanks a lot... new features are BIG FUN :D

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:46 pm

u3dreal wrote:Great who's gonna update the blender exporter ??? ...

Yes me if anyone has some against.. ;:)

cheers

u3dreal ;)
Go for it! I for one can't wait to get going with these new features :)
The hardest part of BEING yourself is FINDING yourself in the first place...
http://thebigdavec.googlepages.com

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:29 pm

u3dreal wrote:Great who's gonna update the blender exporter ??? ...
Yes me if anyone has some against.. ;:)
cheers
u3dreal ;)
hehehehe, go U3dreal, go! ;)

But I think it would be wise to confirm if these changes are final or if there'll be a t2,3,4,5, or even 6 with further changes in the new xml code to generate.

Anyway, 0.7 is what you were waiting for to give your new exporters a ride! 8)
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

manitwo

Post by manitwo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Whats the advantage of using <ior> over good old <specular>?
For me its alot harder now to use phong.
That's problably because i'm not familiar with using iors.
What do you think? :)

surreal

Post by surreal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:36 pm

But who's gonna update the 3ds max one!

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:43 pm

@manitwo:

the higher the ior the more reflective the material gets. an ior of 1.5 gives the material a reflectivity of glass (which is a little bit) an an ior of.. lets say 150 makes it extremely reflective

is <specular> still working? i had to change to <ior> because indigo gave an error like "uexpected element <specular>"

manitwo

Post by manitwo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 pm

thank you for your answer fused :)
well, but if i use simply other numbers for reflectivity whats the advantage of ior then?
there must be one, or not?
further questions:
- till now i thought ior numbers are only used for transparent materials. *me feels stupid know*
- whats min and max of ior numbers? (in THIS list gold has a ior of 0.47 but indigo give me an error if i set the ior under 1)
- does the reflectivity increase in a linear way from 1 to (lets say) 150

:?: :wink: :lol:

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:15 pm

whoa... for a detailed and correct answer i guess you'll have to ask nick. :mrgreen:
i only can tell you what i know from messing around with the testscenes...

- whats min and max of ior numbers?

min is 1 (thats at least what the error says... you figured that out on your own) and i dont think there is a max... but i dont think you could see any difference from 10000 to 1000000

i think so... at least it looks like it does

afecelis
3D Software: Blender

Post by afecelis » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:26 pm

my concern is how exporter writers will adapt these new features to the different sliders and values in each of the different 3d apps. since most of the things have to be done in a "hackyish" (yet very clever) way as there's nothing more than the format itself as a "plugin API guide". Such abrupt and tough changes make all the hard work and effort put into the last exporter that was working fine probably fall back to zero, needing to start them almost from scratch.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 @3.6ghz, 32GB ddr4 3200 mhz Ram, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, Win10, Blender/Sketchup/Modo/Cinema4d

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 pm

afecelis wrote:my concern is how exporter writers will adapt these new features to the different sliders and values in each of the different 3d apps. since most of the things have to be done in a "hackyish" (yet very clever) way as there's nothing more than the format itself as a "plugin API guide". Such abrupt and tough changes make all the hard work and effort put into the last exporter that was working fine probably fall back to zero, needing to start them almost from scratch.
Thats a reason I think about doing my texturing & exporting Tasks in Blender, because the old no more developed C4D Exporter becomes nearly useless now...
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:51 pm

- till now i thought ior numbers are only used for transparent materials. *me feels stupid know*
Don't, refractions concerns only transparent materials, but also defines how they reflect. If a ray is not refracted, then it is reflected.
- whats min and max of ior numbers? (in THIS list gold has a ior of 0.47 but indigo give me an error if i set the ior under 1)
1 is a minimum, as it defines vaccum (no change in angle at all. Well, you know, vaccum !) Air is around 1.0x to 1.00x, depends on physical condition and on the source of the measure. Some "metamaterials" (artificial ones) now have negative ior ! The angle will be the same but in the reverse direction (as if there was a virtual mirror orthogonal to the surface) !
I'm not sure, better said the higher the ior the higher the angle at wich light must meet the surface to be transmitted. If not it is reflected. And I'm not sure there exists materials with higher ior than Silicone... none above 5 I think. So it's not about how much reflective a material is to light, but more what fraction will be reflective or not. Linear or not I can't tell...

[EDIT] and as for starting everything from scratch, I thing thats exagerating... updated would be more accurate I bet.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:58 pm

The reason i'm using an IOR instead of a specular tag for the phong material is that
* it's easier to get the correct reflectance curve, people were always setting the specular too high.
* it allows me to use the correct fresnel equations for the different modes of polarisation.

I don't think using an IOR will be a problem, at least for the case of when you are trying to model a dielectric material. (or a Lambertian reflector with dielectric coating, which the phong material does as well).

I'm using the Fresnel equations for *dielectrics*, so it's gonna be a stretch to model a metal using the IOR stuff.
There's always .nk files tho.

dogfin

Post by dogfin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:58 pm

fused wrote:@manitwo:

the higher the ior the more reflective the material gets. an ior of 1.5 gives the material a reflectivity of glass (which is a little bit) an an ior of.. lets say 150 makes it extremely reflective

is <specular> still working? i had to change to <ior> because indigo gave an error like "uexpected element <specular>"
I'm so confused, I'm from the pov-ray world so thats probly why. Here's why I'm confused: say I model a camera lense and set its ior to 1.52 (roughly optical glass). then I want to simulate an anti-reflective coating. what do I do? is that a separate parameter?

Ack, I haven't edited the xml for too long now. need to get back at it hardcore style. :D. Later

Ryan -

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:00 pm

Dogfin:
well, you can't simulate coatings like that :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Uploaded new build (replaces old one)

changes:
* removed localinifile.txt
* improved filtering
* fixed bug where it would die on more than 1 uvset.
* fixed bump mapping
* fixed no normal smoothing with bump map issue.

76 posts