halo effect?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
grndvilhockey

halo effect?

Post by grndvilhockey » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 am

I was just wondering if there was a way to make a halo in indigo. I was hoping for something close to a lightsaber. Is there possibly a way to blend two materials, one that is an emitter and one that is transparent? And if so, is there a way to soften the edge?

Borgleader

Re: halo effect?

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 am

There is no physical explanation or basis behind a lightsaber (that I know of). And indigo being a physically accurate renderer I dont think its possible at all.

My suggestion to you is create an emitter thats much thinner (but roughly the same lenght) as the "blade" of the lightsaber, so that your scene is lit correctly and then photoshop the colored/soft edge on top of it.

I might make tests of my own later as I've just come up with the idea and I find it interesting.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:49 am

But there is a physical explanation for a halo; experiment with Borgleader's setup, apart that you will use either 'post process' or 'camera aperture' diffraction schemes, wich will bring it right into Indigo.

For a stronger halo use a stronger saber ;)
obsolete asset

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 am

CTZn wrote:But there is a physical explanation for a halo; experiment with Borgleader's setup, apart that you will use either 'post process' or 'camera aperture' diffraction schemes, wich will bring it right into Indigo.

For a stronger halo use a stronger saber ;)
What about the light scattering in the foggy air? I mean a cylinder-emitter and a bigger cylinder-air with SSS. The first one is in the center of the second one. Then just play with sizes and settings.

Here what I mean (Sorry for the quality :oops: ):
Attachments
halo.jpg
halo.jpg (190.32 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 am

Thats interesting :) I just dont get along with SSS
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

benn

Post by benn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:55 pm

I think a lightsaber would have varying density, so maybe like 20 cylinders of slightly different width and all x% emitting and x% transparent?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:38 am

And it would be transparent (light does not interact with light), use a transparent specular with IOR = 1.00 as emiting material.
obsolete asset

grndvilhockey

Post by grndvilhockey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:48 am

Those are all really good ides. i think ill try the cylinder of air with SSS first. thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1