What going to happen to us?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
154 posts
matsta

What going to happen to us?

Post by matsta » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:01 am

Hey guys.

With the underlining of the inevitable on the Glare Tech website, "Indigo is undergoing beta testing in preparation for a commercial release." I was just wondering what is going to happen to us old timers, it seems very similar to what happened with the commercial release of MoI, large user group during beta stages and then a $200 price tag (while i know its not large its large enough to make it a bit to expensive for the casual non commercial user).

I'm exceptionally happy for Nick, im sure upon release it will be a huge success and perhaps make him the money he deserves from so many years of hard work and dedication. I for one will not be able to fork out the asking price on my student budget.

I'm not sure if im just being a tad daft, after so much dev work it would be ridiculous to expect indigo to remain the open community project it has been for so long. But at the same time I dont want to be forced to stop using it, and I wouldn't feel right pirating it :/

Any thoughts?

Mat

PureSpider

Re: What going to happen to us?

Post by PureSpider » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 am

Thats exactly what I was wondering the past few weeks...
What will happen to us non-commercial users?

matsta

Post by matsta » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:16 am

Well, to say us "non commercial" users is a bit of an odd situation, its more "us long timer non commercial" users because i for one dont expect to get a free copy of maxwell because im a non commercial user, but if i had been part of its development I may be a bit annoyed to have my stable long used renderer ripped from out under me.

* edited by ben for inappropriate language *

kikeonline
3rd Place Winner

Post by kikeonline » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:07 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Indigo is the renderer that I know how to use tha best. im going to feel alone in the cg world.

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 am

This is sad news for me, cause the main reason for using indigo.
Is that it's free.... but since it may not be free anymore, some of us might just start moving to another engine. :(

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 am

Sad stuff, Indigo is the only 3rd party renderer I've learned to use... Oh well I guess I'll stick around and see if I can help some noobs out for a while (until my knowledge becomes obsolete). :wink:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

daniel_nieto

Post by daniel_nieto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 am

what? indigo is going commercial!!! ono!!! of course you're gonna give away some licenses for us right? RIGHT? man, i feel bad, i grew up with indigo! (in the 3d aspect) we saw it grow too, i've been using it from the version 0.6, and i always recommend indigo cause IT'S FREE! and possibly even better than Maxwell, dude i got an indigo sticker on my car, and i'm pretty proud of it... well, nothing can be done i guess. just ono, when you commercialize indigo, please remember us!
Image From México, Daniel Nieto .·.

matsta

Post by matsta » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:15 am

lol @ "perhaps better than maxwell"

watch out daniel! :D those are hallowed words ;)

haha jokes.

Frt

Post by Frt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 pm

matsta wrote:Hey guys.

With the underlining of the inevitable on the Glare Tech website, "Indigo is undergoing beta testing in preparation for a commercial release. ......................be forced to stop using it, and I wouldn't feel right pirating it :/

Any thoughts?

Mat

Come on, guys :shock:

There is no way anybody of us is not possible to work a bit more and get those 200$. The work with Indigo renderer deserves such a price (and even more, IMHO). Think a bit far: when it gets commercial, the development can be a bit faster, documentation a bit deeper and material database a bit bigger.

There is really not a lot of stuff that I am happy to pay for. In this case I want the T-shirt AND the box version :D

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Also don't forget, that the latest version, and hopefully a 1.1 final also, will stay free.

Just remember what you have reached (earned??!) with Indigo so far... new features are always awesome and speed improvements are also always welcome too, but the latest version of Indigo is still a usable and powerful tool guys!!!

Don't throw this away, just because there is a more sexy app lurking around the corner, but (maybe!!?) to expensive for ya...

If you are happy with Indigo 1.1.18 atm, stay happy with it :)

btw: I wouldn't have the money even if Indigo would cost $50 at the moment, so I'll stay on the free side of the bridge atm (but at least I had some great vacations last month) :lol:
polygonmanufaktur.de

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Of course we are happy with this release :)
Just that when you have found a free good app, thren it's suddenly goes comercial.
And just as a reminder when crazybump was in beta, then he had a great forum, alot of active users.
People where mentioning it in there tutorials and everyone was happy, until he started taking money for it. And many of the ones that where there during the beta, didnt have the money to pay for it.
And just had use something else.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:28 pm

... just like me, I went for ShaderMap, its a lot cheaper for only 20$, and also does the Job (even if not this good like CB).

I know what you mean Stromberg.... only the future can tell.... lets hope the best!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:10 pm

yes I would be interested to know what is meant by pending commercial release in that news item

I think a lot of people who have contributed to Indigo in the past or just been keen members of the community will most likely also like to hear an explanation as well

there does seem to be an element of deceit in the outcome or at least a going back on one's word. but then words have been very few and apparently some of the explanations of events provided thus far have not necessarily proven to be completely true..

Glare Ltd must feel confident they have something of substance to sell and to a significant number of prospective customers if in the process they are going to snub or alienate their present user base.
I hope for example they consider paying a royalty for the materials and images people uploaded that may assist in generating traffic to a commercial site.
I dont believe people provided these with the understanding they were some day to be used in a business venture
I am not sure I shouldnt request the removal of the wiki article I wrote - or whats left of it

my bet is they dont have enough that is mature and going to distinguish themselves in the wider market to make it and that the remaining community will simply move on to another freebee like Lux by default regardless of the virtues of the software

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 am

It'll be interesting to see how theyre going to work it with the exporters, with indigo being essentially dependant on the plugins written by independent authors.

Big Fan

Post by Big Fan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:17 am

indeed it will..

for those interested here is a link to the NZ Companies Office - this is free public information btw

http://www.companies.govt.nz

a search using 'Glare' will take you to the info or the Company Number is 2108548

154 posts