Problem with trees and textures

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
gjengi

Problem with trees and textures

Post by gjengi » Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 am

Hi All,

I've just upgraded to v3 of Indigo and it's a huge improvement - love it!

However, I'm having a problem with external OBJ files. In Indigo v2 I had a scene set up which had several trees referenced in and it worked really well. Now, when using v3 and after using the 'Edit Active Mesh' referencing in SkIndigo, the trees won't show up! The trees are in the OpenGL preview (and to scale), but not in the rendered scene.

I tried a test scene and noticed something a bit strange. When referencing one tree in with basic colours for the bark and leaves the external OBJ shows up. However, if I apply a texture to it then those elements of the tree disappear.
Tree.png
The above render has just plain colours assigned for the bark and leaves. I have a test swatch beneath the tree also
Tree2.png
This one has the leaf colour replaced by a leaf texture and it disappears!! The swatch has also gone.

Am I missing something crucial? I thought I'd followed all the steps right! :-p Please help!

Thanks,

Jen
Architect in training...
...almost done!

gjengi

Re: Problem with trees and textures

Post by gjengi » Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 am

Just to update... I looked at the textures a little further and realised they were TIF files.
After changing them to PNGs the render worked!! Have TIFs been disabled in the new release of Indigo?

Thanks,

Jen
Attachments
Tree3.png
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue May 08, 2012 4:42 am

Hi,

Did you adjust the color of the TIF texture in SketchUp? I think this can create problems.

Try resetting the color to the original texture color and see if the TIF versions works.

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Tue May 08, 2012 4:50 am

Whaat wrote:Hi,

Did you adjust the color of the TIF texture in SketchUp? I think this can create problems.

Try resetting the color to the original texture color and see if the TIF versions works.
Hi Whaat,

Yep, that appears to have been the problem. Thanks! :-) I presume there's something sketchup does to the TIF file that makes it un-usable?
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 am

gjengi wrote:
Whaat wrote:Hi,

Hi Whaat,

Yep, that appears to have been the problem. Thanks! :-) I presume there's something sketchup does to the TIF file that makes it un-usable?
Yeah, I think SketchUp does something to the texture that Indigo does not like. However, I need to look into this a bit more to confirm the issue.

You can still use Photoshop to color change the texture and then use external textures instead.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 am

Hi Jen,
Can you please send me the tree model and textures if possible? (nick@indigorenderer.com)

Thanks!

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Tue May 08, 2012 5:52 am

Whaat wrote: Yeah, I think SketchUp does something to the texture that Indigo does not like. However, I need to look into this a bit more to confirm the issue.

You can still use Photoshop to color change the texture and then use external textures instead.
Thanks Whaat,

On an unrelated note, whenever I add a 'fake' sun to environment maps the environment map goes black - is there a setting I'm missing? I've tried different tonemapping and different environment maps but nothing seems to work.
OnoSendai wrote:Hi Jen,
Can you please send me the tree model and textures if possible? (nick@indigorenderer.com)

Thanks!
Just sent it.

Jen
Architect in training...
...almost done!

7 posts • Page 1 of 1