Round Corner slow on iMac

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Headroom
Indigo 100

Round Corner slow on iMac

Post by Headroom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:30 pm

This is obviously not related to Indigo but to Sketchup.

I've recently started palying around with Sketchup again. I remembered a very useful plugin called Round Corner. On my previous iMac, a 2.4 GHz core2duo this plugin behaved so sluggish and the several second lag between user input and reaction of the plugin rendered it unusable.

So now with my new machine 27" iMac 2.93GHZ i7 (quad core) and months later I thought the issue (which I reported on Sketchucation.com in the respective forum) might be resolved. While on this vastly faster computer the plugin now is somewhat usable but still quite testy for my patience it's still not even remotely as responsive as on a Windows XP system that I have running in VMware Fusion on the same iMac.

I was wondering if any other users have experienced the same problems with this and other plugins.

BTW, I have used Skindigo without any problems.

buzzkill

Re: Round Corner slow on iMac

Post by buzzkill » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 am

Does round corner do what I think it does? If so, i need to download that plugin asap!

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 am

Just looked it up. That is exactly what I need. Hopefully it's not slow on my MacBook.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:20 am

It performs a similar task comparable to most 3D CAD programs. For example Solid Works.
You mark edges and it puts a chamfer or fillet on it. VERY useful. That would work like a charm on your PLC controller.

Check out some of the other plugins on Sketchucation.com.

One of the most remarkable is certainly the Subdivide and Smooth at Smustard.com. Written by Whaat. It's not free software but if Skethup is your main tool and you want some more organic forms in your Sketchup scens it's hard to beat at $22.

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 am

Headroom wrote:It performs a similar task comparable to most 3D CAD programs. For example Solid Works.
You mark edges and it puts a chamfer or fillet on it. VERY useful. That would work like a charm on your PLC controller.

Check out some of the other plugins on Sketchucation.com.

One of the most remarkable is certainly the Subdivide and Smooth at Smustard.com. Written by Whaat. It's not free software but if Skethup is your main tool and you want some more organic forms in your Sketchup scens it's hard to beat at $22.
Yeah that's what I was thinking! I wasn't sure how to make the compound curve on the ends. Now I know!
There are a bunch of plugins that seem very useful. Thanks!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 am

I have heard of several issues with SketchUp 8 and Ruby plugins operating very slow on Mac. It seems to be an issue with SU8. Glad to hear that SkIndigo is still running well!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm

In this case it's not limited to SU 8. I had the same problem when working with SU 7. I am in contact with the developer, Fredo6. We've been exchanging emails and I've sent him a couple of traces etc.

Just this evening I disabled the Hardware Acceleration in the Sketchup OpenGL preferences and the issue went away. The interface became responsive and there was no perceivable lag. Calculation of the actual geometry became faster by almost factor two. However, running Sketchup on this same machine on a Windows XP in VM Fusion the calculation time, which RoundCorner shows you in it's interface is is almost 10 times faster (or was until I disabled HW acceleration off).

We'll see if fredo6 can determine the root cause and fix the problem.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1