jpgs rendered from sketchup?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
buzzkill

jpgs rendered from sketchup?

Post by buzzkill » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 am

Hello all,

I have what is probably a simple question to most of you as I am new to indigo.

What I am wanting to do is add an image to my sketchup model and have it render with the model. For example, let's say I make a simple box and want to add a label to it (perhaps a company logo). I have a jpg that is inserted to my model onto my box, but when I go to render, the image does not show up.

Is what I am wanting to do even possible? Or am I just going about it all wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: jpgs rendered from sketchup?

Post by Headroom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:26 am

There are two excellent tutorials for Skindigo that you should work your way through. Your questions will be answered there in detail.

And, Yes, of course you can do that :wink:

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Explaining image would be helpful..

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:41 am

Thanks for the responses.

Headroom...Where can I find those tutorials? I've looked around a bit but don't see any here? Youtube perhaps?

Pibuz.... in my particular situation, my image is a jpg (200 x 70). It is a manufacturer logo. I have done a model of a building automation controller in sketchup. I want to add the logo to the top of the controller.

See images....

This is my controller rendering w/o the logo on top

Here is the logo

And here is what I want it to look like in the end...with a few other images attached above the terminal blocks

I hope what I am trying to accomplish here makes sense. Thanks again for the wonderful help! It is so nice being able to post here and read up on this stuff. Many forums regardless of topic sometimes become stagnant and not many users update and post.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 am

You have to "carve" the label over the brown plastic surface, so you can split the face, and then add your label as a new material. It's quite simple..

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 am

Nice industrial stuff!

From the Indigo Home page click on "Download" and "Sketchup Exporter". you'll find "Skindigo Tutorials" for download there as well. It's a zip file containing a couple of Sketchup files and a HTML file explaining Texture Mapping. That should do the trick.

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 am

Headroom wrote:Nice industrial stuff!

From the Indigo Home page click on "Download" and "Sketchup Exporter". you'll find "Skindigo Tutorials" for download there as well. It's a zip file containing a couple of Sketchup files and a HTML file explaining Texture Mapping. That should do the trick.
Awesome. Thanks so much!

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:01 am

Pibuz wrote:You have to "carve" the label over the brown plastic surface, so you can split the face, and then add your label as a new material. It's quite simple..
So if I am understanding this correctly, I have to cut out a hole in the top and place the image flush inside that whole?

And when you say add the label as a new material, are you saying create a material in sketchup or assign it a material in skindigo?

This is probably in that tutorial I am assuming.... :lol:

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 am

You need a separate Sketchup material for each texture you want to use. Instead of using a plain colour, select a texture. In your case, a texture will be the label. Once done that, apply the material to the face. "Carve" is not the right word perhaps: you simply need separated surfaces, to apply different materials.

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 am

Pibuz wrote:You need a separate Sketchup material for each texture you want to use. Instead of using a plain colour, select a texture. In your case, a texture will be the label. Once done that, apply the material to the face. "Carve" is not the right word perhaps: you simply need separated surfaces, to apply different materials.
Got it! Thank you!

I'll try and give it a go sometime today.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 am

Pibuz wrote:You need a separate Sketchup material for each texture you want to use. Instead of using a plain colour, select a texture. In your case, a texture will be the label. Once done that, apply the material to the face. "Carve" is not the right word perhaps: you simply need separated surfaces, to apply different materials.
Why not just make whole surface one color texture? Would save you any tricky modeling and give you greater control over the label appearance and placement.

UV map a blend texture onto the object that blends between the label material with all your label images and the normal plastic material.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 am

That includes advanced modeling and texturing knowledge Tom.. I know it could be more "chic", but I kinda feel our friend has just started modeling and rendering.. Add that complex UV mapping is NOT so easy with SkIndigo.. As a basic and rough tip, I'd stick to the separate faces suggestion..
Always good to have different opinions though! Thanks!

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:06 am

It just seems to me that it would be way more of a pain to properly model all those stickers, what with the rounded corners and all. I'm no pro at SketchUp, but UV mapping in Blender, at least, isn't all that complicated for reasonably clean model.

Another simple option would be to model the stickers as separate objects and then have them protrude ever so slightly through the mesh of the box so that they even look stuck on, as if they have thickness. Then you can apply separate materials to each sticker and don't have to touch the box model at all.

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:36 am

Thanks for the help with the jpgs. I've got it looking the way I want.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:08 am

Is it rendered or is it photoshopped? :wink:

15 posts • Page 1 of 1