UV problems

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
Reinuvader

UV problems

Post by Reinuvader » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Can somebody explain, what I am doing wrong. Sketchup shows perfectly mapped armchair, but when I hit Render, result is somewhat different. For UV maping I'm using Whaat's UV tools and exporter is Skindigo 2.4.13.
Attachments
UVproblem.jpg
texture is scattered
SketchupUVs.jpg
nice parallel lines

dakiru
Indigo 100

Re: UV problems

Post by dakiru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Reinuvader wrote:Can somebody explain, what I am doing wrong. Sketchup shows perfectly mapped armchair, but when I hit Render, result is somewhat different. For UV maping I'm using Whaat's UV tools and exporter is Skindigo 2.4.13.
I don't use SU, but do you use subdivision of this model in Indigo? It might be the problem for textured models, as far as I know.

Reinuvader

Post by Reinuvader » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Nope! No subdivision is used. Mesh should be rendered as it is modeled.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi Rein.. Never used Whaat's UV tools till now.. :? I think the best choice here is to wait for Whaat to answer..

Reinuvader

Post by Reinuvader » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 am

UV tools is nice plugin to make it possible to map difficult models with external software. You simply select faces or model you want to UVmap and use UV tools to export those faces to OBJ file. Then map your OBJ using external software (I use UVLayout), when done, save your OBJ and then use again plugin to import OBJ. It doesn't import model but just UV cordinates from OBJ.

I know that there are problems with faces witch have more than 4 edges, but my model consist only of 3 or 4 edged polygons.

If I use Sketchup's projection maping, then everything is OK and Indigo renders the same way you see maps in SU. But sometimes it is impossible to map using ptojection, and thats why one needs UV tools or something else if there is some other plugins.

So lets hope Whaat knows how to solve such problem.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 am

..would be interesting to have a small practical tut about how to use the UVtools along with UVlayout too!
There is such a huge lack of tuts about plugins and SkIndigo in general! I'm trying to add my small contribution through my blog, if you're even partly interested... (see link in signature)

Reinuvader

Post by Reinuvader » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:31 am

UVLayout tutorials are on their homepage. http://www.uvlayout.com. Without those tutorials it would be almost impossible to use this software because its so shortcut based and there is no way you can figure out those keys on your own (in this respect it's similar to Blender). Its very archaic looking tool but if you get used to it you want to map everything with this software.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:33 am

Thank you for the link. I meant a tut about your SU->UVlayout->SU workflow, btw.. :lol:

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 am

Glad to see someone is using my UVtools plugin!

Unfortunately, by using the plugin, you end up with distorted textures. This is a SU issue primarily and I don't think I can fix it.

The only way around it is to have your mesh made up of triangles only. Then it should render properly in Indigo.

I know it's a pain but I think there is a triangulate script available somewhere. You could also convert your mesh to 3DS and then re-export it back into SU. That should make it all triangles.

Reinuvader

Post by Reinuvader » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 am

Thanks Whaat. This helped.

If you know where problem lies, maybe you could point it out for Sketchup developers. It seems to me that those guys have rested on their laurels for too long. If I'd know the problems core I would do it myself.

Reinuvader

Post by Reinuvader » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 am

Pibuz wrote:Thank you for the link. I meant a tut about your SU->UVlayout->SU workflow, btw.. :lol:
I can't promise you anything, but I definitely think about that suggestion. It would be good idea, because sometimes I need it myself. Mostly because I am frustrated that I have to scroll trough several UVLayout tutorial videos before I get what i'm searching for.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1