Maxigo-07 v.02 (update-21.April 2007)

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri May 04, 2007 5:24 am

Ok. A lot of you have been asking the code lately. Here's the deal...
The source will be free if i get bored or stop the development, but not at the moment. I don't like to work on the same code with multiple persons. It's more fun for me and less pressure, when i do it alone. The whole exporter has been born because i was having fun 8) . So please guys, stop asking the source. I will release it some day, but not now.
Maybe some of you are afraid, that the same situation, that happened with U3dreal exporter, will happen again. I can assure you, that it doesn't. I will release the code, when I get too bored to continue! ....or if i change my mind and I actually DO want to have somebody to help me. :)

I hope this clears things out a bit.

Suvakas

Kosmokrator

Post by Kosmokrator » Fri May 04, 2007 5:53 am

The source will be free if i get bored or stop the development, but not at the moment
no no suv...never bored or stop with your exporter man!
the max community need you!its hard to find ppl to write so good scripts like you! :wink: :!:
1)Core i7 965XE stock CLOCK ,PSU:CHIEFTEC 850W
M/B ASUS P6T DELUXE,WATERCOOLING ZALMAN RESERATOR 2
MEMORY:6GB CORRSAIR @1600,Ati HD 4870x2,
MONITOR:LG 1950SQ,CASE:THERMALTAKE SOPRANO

vansan

Post by vansan » Fri May 04, 2007 9:53 am

suvakas
I'm happy to hear your words, I just wanted to tweak menus for myself a little. Some options here, some options there - you know...

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri May 04, 2007 10:01 am

Let me know what do you want to add or change. If you have some good ideas, then i will be happy to add them to the exporter.
So feel free to request :wink:

vansan

Post by vansan » Fri May 04, 2007 10:35 am

Ok, first of all - thank you in advance for reading that. :D

- Every time I export to XML (no need for OBJ and 3ds though, imho) I wish files to be stored in a separate folder(scene name would be ok).
- As Time Output just copies Common rendering properties visa-versa - there is no need to place it in the script menu. Just leave a spinner of desired rendering time, the update speed and saving intervals.
- No need for "Output size" group.
More buttons - more human errors, imho.
- Export EXR and IGI can be always ON, and stored in the same folder as the exported files in subfolder "images".
- No need for tonemappeing rollout for me - it's better be done in violet or another exr-compatible software.
- White ballance - please, add a color picker(or a color temperature gradient as in BlenderEmitter mat interface) there if possible, it's really hard to guess what's "F7" or "C" for a newbie(me too :oops:).
- Procedurals resolution, 1024x1024 ore 2048x2048 by default(no stretching), please?
- Number of threads ("CPU threads" is better for me :roll:)- to be taken from ../Indigo/inifile.txt.

If I forgot something - I'll post later. Thanks.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri May 04, 2007 7:03 pm

Ok. Thank you for your input.
..and here's my feedback.
vansan wrote: - Every time I export to XML (no need for OBJ and 3ds though, imho) I wish files to be stored in a separate folder(scene name would be ok).
I'm not sure if it is a good idea. You see Indigo saves images into "renders" folder. The folder has to be in the same place as the xml file. Also ini has to be in the same place. So if i would make a separate folder for each scene, then i would have to include inifile.txt and "renders" folder for each project separately. For me it seems more messy than it is now. Also it can be confusing what ini to edit exactly.

What do you mean by "no need for OBJ or 3DS"? No need for separate folders for them? If you have models with the same name in different scenes, then things can be rendered wrong when using resume.
vansan wrote: - As Time Output just copies Common rendering properties visa-versa - there is no need to place it in the script menu. Just leave a spinner of desired rendering time, the update speed and saving intervals.
- No need for "Output size" group.
More buttons - more human errors, imho.
I never use standard Rendering panel while working with Indigo. I don't want to jump between different panels. I like to access all the common parameters right from the exporter panel. So sorry.. those will stay.
vansan wrote: - Export EXR and IGI can be always ON, and stored in the same folder as the exported files in subfolder "images".
Nope. IGI can't be on by default. If the export doesn't go well, then exporter(max) may run into infinite loop while searching for igi file. You see..it waits until Indigo saves the igi first time an automatically links it with the scene. If Indigo never saves, then it continues to wait. The warning message isn't there just for fun :wink:
But...i'm planning to add "Save Settings As Defaults" button at some point. Then everybody can use their own defaults.
vansan wrote: - No need for tonemappeing rollout for me - it's better be done in violet or another exr-compatible software.
I agree, but a lot of users still use it. Also good for animation. Don't need it? Just close it.
vansan wrote: - White ballance - please, add a color picker(or a color temperature gradient as in BlenderEmitter mat interface) there if possible, it's really hard to guess what's "F7" or "C" for a newbie(me too :oops:).
Nice idea, but i dont have a clue how to do that. Any thoughts? Indigo uses those wb's as parameters. If you select F7, then it is defined as F7 in XML. I'm not an expert either. I don't know how to link it with color picker.
vansan wrote: - Procedurals resolution, 1024x1024 ore 2048x2048 by default(no stretching), please?
Can you actually see any stretching visually? I mean if you render lower resolution images. For larger images you would sure have to increase the procedurals resolution. I could use 512x512 by default. Anyway.. you can use what ever you want when i add that save as defaults button.
vansan wrote: - Number of threads ("CPU threads" is better for me :roll:)- to be taken from ../Indigo/inifile.txt.
I can do that :lol:

I just want to say, that most of the things are there with a reason. I didn't just randomly throw in some buttons and settings.
But i appreciate your feedback. Keep the ideas coming !! :wink:

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri May 04, 2007 8:21 pm

suvakas wrote: I'm not sure if it is a good idea. You see Indigo saves images into "renders" folder. The folder has to be in the same place as the xml file. Also ini has to be in the same place.
not exactly; indigo saves the image into 'renders' in the current working directory (location of indigo.exe usually)
Inifile.txt is loaded from the CWD.
the XML file can be in any directory.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri May 04, 2007 8:31 pm

When i have my indigo.exe in c:\indigo and xml's in c:\indigo\Exported_From_Max, then *.igi doesn't save into c:\indigo\renders, but always into c:\indigo\Exported_From_Max\renders. If the folder "renders" is missing, then i get an error message saying, that cant save igi (well..at least it was so in some 07 version..i havn't checked it anymore)
Also the renderer does not start if the ini is missing from the c:\indigo\Exported_From_Max folder. So I figured, that inifile.txt and "renders" folder have to be in the same path where xml's are.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri May 04, 2007 8:35 pm

You are probably setting the working directory to 'c:\indigo\Exported_From_Max\'.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri May 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Ok. How can i change the working dir then?
All i do is running a bat file from Exported_From_Max that points to indigo.exe and xml file. Does the *.bat location changes the cwd?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri May 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, AFAIK, when you run a batch file from a certain directory, the working directory is set to that directory.
You could just put a 'cd' command (change directory) as the first line of the batch file., e.g.

cd c:\indigo\
indigo.exe c:\indigo\Exported_From_Max\thescene.igs

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Fri May 04, 2007 8:46 pm

gotcha!
Thanks! Good point. Didn't think about cd'ing at all.
I need to redo my paths then..well..maybe..someday.
But would sure be good to have only one ini file instead of two like it is now.

naxos

Post by naxos » Thu May 10, 2007 12:31 am

Hello here,

i think i found a bug with Maxigo...

i started an animation rendering... then i stopped it because of wrong param setting... then i restarted it...

it rendered whole night, but in the morning, only one frame was here... but still rendering...

in fact i think the fact i stopped it then restarted it made it to stop increment the frame number...

quite sure, because i stopped it again, then changed to 1 minute rendering time for a check... restarted it, but only one frame is rendered several times...

roger that ?

naxos

Post by naxos » Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am

ok found a roundabout :

just select single frame render, then back to active time seg or range, and the "Every nth frame" is back...
(was turned disabled)...

bug, but easy to fix...

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu May 10, 2007 4:47 am

Gotcha !
I will look into it.
I think you are the first one who has ever used the animation feature 8)

[edit]
Bug fixed !
Will be in next release.

176 posts