Blendigo 2.4.x Releases

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
dag

Re: Blendigo 2.4.x Releases

Post by dag » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:34 am

Couldn't get motion blur to work either. Tried with different exposure durations, which I guess controls shutter speed?

Aperture blade offset seems too large above .35. If you go above that you will get 4 additional blades, so maybe limit to .35.
Curved blades give softer glare, but curvature 10 gives sharp, and 1 soft, so if curvature controls the blade curvature, the values are inverted.

Advantix 100 is default camera tonemapping preset in blendigo, but switches to dscs315 in idigo.
You should exclude source.txt from presets.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:53 am

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to address these issues soon.

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:05 am

Bug or just annoying by design? :shock:

I often keep the camera & sun on a separate layer to aid with modelling/material workflow so I easily hide them while working.

Sometimes when test rendering I forget to unhide the layer before exporting... :oops: .So I get a black render and go back to blender to unhide the layer and re-export/render. Still black. Because Blendigo kindly changes my Sun setting in Environment to None(mesh emitters only) if there is no sun on exporting. So I then re-enable this option and re-render and alls well in my world - except I am by now a bit peeved - especially if the scene is complex and takes a while to export.

I know I could just learn that Blendigo does this and adjust but I'm just too old to learn new tricks :wink:

Can we please change this to leave the user defined setting intact?
Doug

Doug Armand

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:42 am

*thinking out loud*

@Doug
I understand that's annoying, but what about the case where someone wants the sun hidden (switched off) so they move it to an inactive layer, but forget to (or don't realise they should) change Blendigo's environment settings?

I suppose in that case, Blendigo could export the default background environment (or no environment) without changing the settings on the Env tab, and write a message to the console ?

That is an error situation, and I think it can be handled more gracefully.

dag

Post by dag » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:15 am

Since you obviously can detect that there is no sun and switch to mesh emitters only, can't you detect if the sun is being added/moved to layer 1, then automatically change to sky+sun environment?
I don't think anyone adds a sun/moves it to layer 1 if they're not going to use it in the render.

Edit: Ah, you didn't move it to layer 1.
Detect if the sun is visible then...

Edit2: If there's a sun visible in blender, use sun+sky.
If the sun is hidden, use mesh emitters.
If you select background or envmap in blendigo, use that.
You would need a new option in dropdown: Detect sun... or something.

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:07 am

dougal2 wrote:*thinking out loud*

@Doug
I understand that's annoying, but what about the case where someone wants the sun hidden (switched off) so they move it to an inactive layer, but forget to (or don't realise they should) change Blendigo's environment settings?
If the user wants to temporarily disable the sun its as easy as changing it in the environ tab. This is a user led decision. As is my selection of Physical Sun in the first place.

User decisions should always be respected and supercede 'clever' programming :wink:

Maybe it's just me who falls foul of this? if so ignore it and I'll get used to it eventually I guess :D
Doug

Doug Armand

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 am

dag wrote:Couldn't get motion blur to work either. Tried with different exposure durations, which I guess controls shutter speed?

Aperture blade offset seems too large above .35. If you go above that you will get 4 additional blades, so maybe limit to .35.
Curved blades give softer glare, but curvature 10 gives sharp, and 1 soft, so if curvature controls the blade curvature, the values are inverted.

Advantix 100 is default camera tonemapping preset in blendigo, but switches to dscs315 in idigo.
You should exclude source.txt from presets.
How are you setting the animation keys? using dummies and parenting? if so that won't work.
Attachments
im1277399033.jpg
Camera & object motion blur working in Blendigo 2.4.3 - camera tracking truck and wheels rotating
Last edited by Doug Armand on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added image to show motion blur working
Doug

Doug Armand

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 am

I don't mind changing the behaviour so that Blendigo doesn't mess with the user's settings, but I think the current behaviour was introduced to help the situation whereby someone changes the Env type to Sun+Sky without adding a Blender sun lamp and then expects the render to be lit by a Sun.

Probably the 'code intervention' (warning message, or disabled UI) needs to happen at the point the user chooses Sun+Sky when there's no Sun lamp present, rather than doing it at export time.

You're not the error Doug, Blendigo is ;)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:10 am

dougal2 wrote:I don't mind changing the behaviour so that Blendigo doesn't mess with the user's settings, but I think the current behaviour was introduced to help the situation whereby someone changes the Env type to Sun+Sky without adding a Blender sun lamp and then expects the render to be lit by a Sun.

Probably the 'code intervention' (warning message, or disabled UI) needs to happen at the point the user chooses Sun+Sky when there's no Sun lamp present, rather than doing it at export time.

You're not the error Doug, Blendigo is ;)
I like the idea that, upon export, if the Environment is set to Sun/Sky and no Sun lamp is found, Blendigo will write out just a Background color and a warning so that the rendering can continue, but that the user is aware that the Sun is missing, without changing the values in Blendigo (which, I agree, has nailed me several times!).

dag

Post by dag » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Doug Armand wrote:How are you setting the animation keys? using dummies and parenting? if so that won't work.
What's the proper and simplest way to do it?
I tried I > Loc, move to frame 50, I > Loc, with stationary camera, cube moving. Tried camera tracking cube with monkeys behind. Tried camera moving.

Also, if I use below 1/30 exposure, I get

Code: Select all

INDIGO EXPORT

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\blendigo.py
", line 4247, in buttonEvt
    exportStill(defaultFile)
", line 3387, in exportStill
    export(filename, False)
", line 3335, in export
    if exportIndigoScene(filename, objlist, meshlist, matlist):
", line 3071, in exportIndigoScene
    icurx[current_frame] * 10, # IPO rotation values are in 10 degree units
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:10 pm

dag wrote:
Doug Armand wrote:How are you setting the animation keys? using dummies and parenting? if so that won't work.
What's the proper and simplest way to do it?
I tried I > Loc, move to frame 50, I > Loc, with stationary camera, cube moving. Tried camera tracking cube with monkeys behind. Tried camera moving.

Also, if I use below 1/30 exposure, I get

Code: Select all

INDIGO EXPORT

Traceback (most recent call last):
", line 4247, in buttonEvt
    exportStill(defaultFile)
", line 3387, in exportStill
    export(filename, False)
", line 3335, in export
    if exportIndigoScene(filename, objlist, meshlist, matlist):
", line 3071, in exportIndigoScene
    icurx[current_frame] * 10, # IPO rotation values are in 10 degree units
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable
Yes I've had similar problems. Try this - add a Loc key at frame 1 then move to frame 2 and move your object slightly and add another Loc key and finally move to your last frame and then add a final Loc key and see if that fixes it? Seems to be a Blender problem I think. What version are you using?

BTW sorry Dougal for getting slightly off-topic
Doug

Doug Armand

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Another design improvement :D

Might want to check to see if a valid .exr file has been selected when using HDRI environments.
Currently one can set HDRI environment and not select a .exr file and Blendigo will export with no errors - though of course Indigo picks up the error before starting to render.
Doug

Doug Armand

dag

Post by dag » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Using 2.49b. Tried both 64 and 32 bit.
Using rotation instead of location I can go below 1/30, but still no motion blur. Tried with a bunch of keyframes including frame 2.
Getting blur in blender render is easy.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 pm

dag wrote:Using 2.49b. Tried both 64 and 32 bit.
Using rotation instead of location I can go below 1/30, but still no motion blur. Tried with a bunch of keyframes including frame 2.
Getting blur in blender render is easy.
I think you need to add both location and rotation keys, even if your object does not rotate.

dag

Post by dag » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 pm

That's it, thanks.
But is this a bug/limitation in blendigo?
I mean, it doesn't matter if I have to apply loc or locrot, but you don't have to do that in blender render.

76 posts