UVmapping Help? | Blendigo 2.4 | Blender 2.49b | OS X 10.6.6

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
othniel.cundangan

UVmapping Help? | Blendigo 2.4 | Blender 2.49b | OS X 10.6.6

Post by othniel.cundangan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:13 pm

HELLO!
I'm really new with Indigo and Blendigo, though I've been using Blender for quite a while.

I was trying to follow the tutorial over here:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 81&start=0

I'm not extremely new to UVmapping in blender,
however when I get over here...

I notice that the version of Blendigo running is different from mine (1.0.9 vs 2.4)

There is no option for Albedo.

I tried using the Bump option to see if Indigo would recognize the UVset. I created a new "UVTexture" set thingy in the mesh panel and called it "default" because that's what Blendigo had it as and picked a random image I found lying around.
Previous to using Indigo, I never touched this "UVTexture" option.

When I went to render, I get this error
haha it rhymed... sorry i'm silly

So my questions are:
Is there another place where I should be setting this "UVset"? - I've never used this "UVTexture" thing in the mesh panel before, is there something else that I should be turning on for this?
How do I get Indigo to recognize the UVcoordinates I've applied in Blender and apply my image to them?
Also, I noticed that when I choose "External" as the Indigo material type and pick an .igm, there are no other options available. Would I edit this material with the Indigo material editor application? Are you able to combine an external material and a UVmapped texture?

The material database isn't working at this time of posting ):

Thanks in advance for any help =D
- AuthorsCorndragon
Aamaa

Polinalkrimizei

Re: UVmapping Help? | Blendigo 2.4 | Blender 2.49b | OS X 10

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:21 am

Hi and welcome to the forums! And thanks for adding all these screenshots, makes things a lot easier!

I'll try to answer in the right order and hope not to forget some of your questions...

1. There is an option for albedo, just click on type "Color" and select "texture". This will open the dialogue you've seen in "bump".

2. To apply a uv-texture to your model be sure to not only name it right, but to actually unwrap your model in blender (hit "u" in editmode and select "smart projections" for a start), and leave editmode. Then be sure that you either change the name in blendigo or directly in blender. The latter makes more sense when you use more than one texture with the same uv-layout (typically albedo, bump, specular). As a test try to choose a texture in blendigo that doesn't contain any special characters, just to be sure (yours contains "[" and "]". Then it should work!

3. Concerning external mats: Easiest way to edit them is indeed the material editor. You can assign all the textures you want, but you need to create a uv-layout of your model in blender before (umwrap it). All of the textures in indigo need to be uv-mapped in your 3D app before.
Beware: Not all external materials use "default" as a name for the uv-layout. Be sure to check and change the name in blender accordingly!

4. Good luck!

othniel.cundangan

Post by othniel.cundangan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:28 am

Ah! Thank you for your extremely quick reply.
After reading your post, I discovered the Blendigo manual and in it, surely enough it explains how a texture can be applied through the colour material channel.

Yes, I did a quick UV unwrap of the object with the hotkey "U" and selecting smart projections, I accepted the default settings and the mesh unwrapped correctly. I even checked by rendering using the Blender Internal renderer and the texture was appearing accordingly.

I am unsure as to what name you are referring to with "Then be sure that you either change the name in blendigo or directly in blender"
Is this the material name, the UVTexture set name, or another name I'm missing?

Still have no luck with Indigo recognizing the UVSet that I made in blender. Would it be possible for someone to upload and example .blend with a UV mapped object with a correct working UVSet that exports properly to Indigo?

Would you recommend that I make all my future textures with the Indigo Material Editor, then export as a .igm and apply it as an external material through Blendigo?
Aamaa

othniel.cundangan

Post by othniel.cundangan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:39 am

I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEMS!

So it turns out I wasn't UV mapping wrong or assigning the wrong names...
While I was working on my scene, at one point in time, I duplicated my not-yet UV mapped mesh and as a result, two objects were using the same material. When I UV mapped one of the objects, I completely forgot about the other object that was using the same material but had not yet been UV mapped. That's where Indigo was getting confused (or rather I was getting confused), it was giving me an error of the OTHER object not having a UVSet. I deleted the little sucker and voila! Everything's working as it should (:

Thanks for the help and tips Polinalkrimizei!
Aamaa

4 posts • Page 1 of 1