IES light visibility

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
StompinTom
Indigo 100

IES light visibility

Post by StompinTom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 am

Hey hey,

I just started playing around with IES lights and noticed that when I'm rendering a bunch of them, only one or two show up as white. The rest of them still emit light and everything, but they appear as a black material. The lighting is fine, I'm more concerned about their reflections and seeing the light sources in the rendering. I'd rather not photoshop them in afterwards as it seems like a broken feature...

Using Blender 2.49b, Blendigo 2.3.1, Indigo 2.2.12 (64 bit)
Attachments
100322_IESproblem.jpg
100322_IESproblem.jpg (200.26 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

dougal2
Developer

Re: IES light visibility

Post by dougal2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:39 am

Is it because of the viewing angle? If you are looking at the light at the angle at which it is not emitting, then you won't see any light coming from it.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:51 am

Hmmm... Never thought of that. It's possible, but sometimes it seems like it's not related to that, such as when I'm viewing the lights at an oblique angle (close to the ceiling or from far away), they are visible... I'll keep playing around with them, maybe I'll make sense of this!

bacon
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by bacon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:17 am

This problem I´ve also experienced... it has to do with emitting and viewing angle as dougal mentioned...
I haven´t experimented a lot with it, but perhaps it´s possible to edit .ies files so that they emit a small
amount of light in all viewable directions.

Another trick is to make the ies emitter very small and put it in front of a ordinary mesh emitter that emits
enough to make it visible. I´m not sure if this works well with reinhard...

4 posts • Page 1 of 1