Thea Renderer pricing

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Thea Renderer pricing

Post by Doug Armand » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:32 pm

I'd say judging by this that Indigo pricing is very competitive - Thea is even charging for the exporter :shock:

http://www.thearender.com/downloads/The ... Policy.pdf
Doug

Doug Armand

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Thea Renderer pricing

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:28 pm

The Indigo Lifetime license was simple a Hell of a deal!!

But compared with the regular price Indigo aims for Thea is quite cheap (even when paying 20€ for a exporter :lol: )
http://www.indigorenderer.com/buy wrote:Full licences cost 295€... This is our discounted pricing for early adopters, once Indigo 3.0 comes out, the price will go up to 595€.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm

hmm it seems for the indigo 3.0 price you can get a thea std license + 2 slave whic is a total of 4 slaves. thats some competition.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:49 pm

I was referring to the current pricing - as that is what is available now. :wink:
Doug

Doug Armand

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 am

Doug Armand wrote:I was referring to the current pricing - as that is what is available now. :wink:
Yes yes, and I'm projecting in the "near" future :lol: We're complementary :wink:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 am

Doug Armand wrote:I'd say judging by this that Indigo pricing is very competitive - Thea is even charging for the exporter :shock:

If it's their work why not charge it? Or they could raise the price and then have the exporter free ;)

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:09 am

Borgleader wrote:
Doug Armand wrote:I was referring to the current pricing - as that is what is available now. :wink:
Yes yes, and I'm projecting in the "near" future :lol: We're complementary :wink:
and when Thea is out of beta and at version 1.0 who knows what they're pricing will then be? :wink:

So in more detail I say that Indigo is now a mature product - so at this point in time I repeat it is more than 'competitive' with Thea. When Indigo is v3.0 and Thea is V1.0 will that still stand? who knows.

Wow how do I get into these arguments over such trivia as a simple news-ish announcement? :shock:
Doug

Doug Armand

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:16 am

ZomB wrote:But compared with the regular price Indigo aims for Thea is quite cheap (even when paying 20€ for a exporter :lol: )
http://www.indigorenderer.com/buy wrote:Full licences cost 295€... This is our discounted pricing for early adopters, once Indigo 3.0 comes out, the price will go up to 595€.
Thea Renderer cost :• Single License - Price 295 €
Contains: Studio, Biased Engine(s), Unbiased Engine(s).

So what your really also saying is that at this moment in time Indigo is cheap - ie good value - ie competitive?.

Kinda what I was saying in my OP :wink:
Doug

Doug Armand

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:18 am

pixie wrote:
Doug Armand wrote:I'd say judging by this that Indigo pricing is very competitive - Thea is even charging for the exporter :shock:

If it's their work why not charge it? Or they could raise the price and then have the exporter free ;)
Will you pay for an Indigo exporter?
Doug

Doug Armand

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:27 am

Doug Armand wrote:
pixie wrote:

Will you pay for an Indigo exporter?
Am I not? Put it another way, do you like the goods price to be upped up so that a bit latter on an heavier discount can be made? It happens all the time.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:04 am

One can't really compare Thea with Indigo. Thea comes with two render engines: an unbiased and a biased one. And I'm fairly certain it'll have all sorts of useful bells and whistles Indigo hasn't got (yet).

As for paying for exporters, I am confident Whaat et al don't work for free.

*Stinkie badly wants modo exporter for Indigo*

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:14 am

Doug Armand wrote:and when Thea is out of beta and at version 1.0 who knows what they're pricing will then be? :wink:
This is very clear written down in the PDF you linked Doug :)

Code: Select all

• Single License - Price 295 €
Contains: Studio, Biased Engine(s), Unbiased Engine(s).
• Standard License - Price 390 €
Contains: Studio, Biased Engine(s), Unbiased Engine(s), 2 Slave Licenses.
Doug Armand wrote:Will you pay for an Indigo exporter?
I think this is simple the way they handle to get the Exporter Writers payed. Quite smart in a certain way... somehow :lol:
polygonmanufaktur.de

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 am

Doug Armand wrote:Will you pay for an Indigo exporter?
I actually already donated in behalf of Yves great work, that even before I've went into the Indigo 100s deal, and if memory serves me well it was this very same amount... so I can actually say been there done that ;)

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:07 am

OK I'll revise my OP:

Indigo - very competitive as long as you compare it to itself?

everyone happy? :wink:
Doug

Doug Armand

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:28 am

Ah s@d it - lets stir up some controversy - I mean reasoned debate :wink:

BTW for this I am ignoring the fact that with Thea you get Studio, Biased Engine(s), Unbiased Engine(s). Why? Well if I wanted anything other than unbiased then there are plenty of other options out there already - so for me it's not an issue. I migrated from 3DS Max because biased renderers had trouble doing what I wanted, ie real photo-realism - so why would I go back?. your mileage may and probably will vary :wink:

So the options are:

Thea is a beta version and you can pay for it now for a Standard License - Price 195 € (introductory price 50% discount). This is cheap but then again Indigo was free in beta.

Or wait till it's out of beta and pay for a Single License - Price 295 € which contains: Studio, Biased Engine(s), Unbiased Engine(s). This is competitive (at currently listed prices for both products).

Or wait until V3.0 of Indigo which we then have a price of €595 as against €295 for Thea. But Indigo will then be a v3.0 and on its way to being a mature product as opposed to a v1.0 barely out of beta version.

Hmmm - does that sum it all up? make your own conclusions as to what is competitive. After all thats what capitalism is all about right?

As for paying for the exporter to be fair to the Thea crowd thay are saying this upfront. Not sure how happy Indigo users would be if they started to charge for it though.

For myself if it meant reliable, frequent and upto date exporters I wouldn't mind. It's a business expense after all. As long as the Indigo guys don't get carried away with the dollar signs that is :lol:
Doug

Doug Armand

15 posts • Page 1 of 1