Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
CoolColJ

Luxrender gets MLT on GPU!

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Luxrender gets MLT on GPU!

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 pm

This thread linked to is 1 year old, and was not updated since then...
I'm afraid that this is still a proof of concept without full integration into Lux :/
polygonmanufaktur.de

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Yeah I just noticed how old that post was.... :(

How about ERPT on GPU? Still much better than plain PT and quite MLT like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wTaW46gzA
This video shows the real-time execution of my ERPT and PT implementations on the GPU. The Invisible Date scene shows the performance difference between PT and ERPT. Because all light in the room passes trough a small crack in the scene geometry, PT has a hard time finding light transport paths. ERPT does not have this problem. Whenever a light transport path is found, similar paths are easily obtained trough mutations. As a consequence, the overall variance of the ERPT rendering is much lower.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:58 pm

polygonmanufaktur.de

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 am

CoolColJ wrote:How about ERPT on GPU? Still much better than plain PT and quite MLT like
[Citation needed]*

* And YouTube propaganda is not a citation, see the recent "Infinite Detail / Voxels are the Future" controversy ;)

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:58 am

lycium wrote:
CoolColJ wrote:How about ERPT on GPU? Still much better than plain PT and quite MLT like
[Citation needed]*

* And YouTube propaganda is not a citation, see the recent "Infinite Detail / Voxels are the Future" controversy ;)
I saw the original voxel videos ages ago, how did it end up? They did look interesting...

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:00 am

I don't know, but Battlefield 3 looks pretty good without voxels, don't you think? 8) I don't see all the game developers scrambling to re-do everything with Future Magic Voxel Technology (TM), which in itself is a statement...

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:20 am

Out of curiosity, what kind of new developments are out there in terms of those kinds of algorithms? I mean, MLT became huge and is now quite popular and I'm sure there are improvements, new algorithms, etc.

This ERPT stuff looks interesting (just from the pretty pictures and taglines) and I've heard other methods mentioned here and there (anyone remember Hungry Cat?), but I have no idea what people in that field are talking about these days.

Anything worthwhile? Anything that Glare is looking at?

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:28 am

Also not that new, but I found it interesting:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ted-detail

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:43 am

lycium wrote:
[Citation needed]*

Well here is the guy's paper - plenty of GPU info, maybe you guys can make it work? 8)

http://graphics.tudelft.nl/~dietger/thesis/thesis.pdf
The Energy Redistribution Path Tracing (ERPT) algorithm as proposed by Cline, is closely
related to the MLT algorithm from last section [11]. However, ERPT does not suffer from
startup bias. Also, ERPT does not require an accurate and unbiased estimate of the normal-
ization constant c, although it can increase performance. Furthermore, the mutation strategy
used in ERPT does not need to satisfy the ergodicity constraint.

lycium

Post by lycium » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:47 pm

It's surely not the first time we've heard of it, and we don't rush to implement everything we read about :idea:

Wasn't ERPT supposed to save a certain "unbiased" renderer from its convergence problems, because the previous magic bullet (MLT) never happened? I think I heard some propaganda like that, don't remember the details...

I'm not questioning the work in the thesis, but I do want to point out that there are many good methods out there, and each would say they are the best thing ever ;)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:06 pm

lycium wrote:It's surely not the first time we've heard of it, and we don't rush to implement everything we read about :idea:

Wasn't ERPT supposed to save a certain "unbiased" renderer from its convergence problems, because the previous magic bullet (MLT) never happened? I think I heard some propaganda like that, don't remember the details...

I'm not questioning the work in the thesis, but I do want to point out that there are many good methods out there, and each would say they are the best thing ever ;)
The thing is ERPT works on a GPU, MLT is much harder to do I presume :)
And ERPT does things PT finds hard to do

Win, Win :lol:

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:16 pm

here is a video by the guy who wrote the paper comparing PT and ERPT on a GPU
The smoothness of ERPT is very nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9X_PhFIL1o

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:28 pm

lycium wrote:It's surely not the first time we've heard of it, and we don't rush to implement everything we read about :idea:
The point here is that I'm maybe not the only one who would like to see a new nice speed boost for Indigo, since speedups are awesome new features everybody loves!

The biggest reason why not everybody uses unbiased raytracers is speed of the engine, and not some misssing beginner Tutorials ;)

Fast engines even can afford a unholy pricetag, like "VRED" or "Arnold Renderer"
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Luxrender gets MLT on GPU!

Post by zeitmeister » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm

I know guys who earn their money with VRED. But from time to time they use Indigo, too.
So there might be potential

The main features I like on VRED:
- very fast render refresh
- very relieable and stable in network rendering
- fantastic Material Library for nearly everything (especially Automotive)

You choose a 3D model, you choose a backplate hdri, you choose the materials, AND IT almost FITS VERY CLOSE TO REALITY.
Never seen that before.

Hm.
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

18 posts