Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Output format

Post by Pibuz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi guys!
Yesterday I saw my girlfriend-photographer fiddling around with her photos: she works with photoshop CS5, and told me that this version allows to open some kind of RAW file which are generated by some professional cameras (she has a Nikon D700, don't ask me more..). I took a look at the procedure she follows to adjust her photos, and it turns out to be very cool and simple! There are some sliders about temperature, sharpening, detailing and other cool stuff, and with minimum play you can go out with majorly adjusted images.

Raffaella tells me that these RAW files (coded with the extension .NEF, btw...) are in 24bits, so sort of HDR files I think: would it be possible to make indigo save the image in this format too? The post processing would be easier :wink:

Thanks a lot!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Output format

Post by Zom-B » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Question here is how much the photograph Informations are relevant for postprocessing in such a tool?!
You also could try opening a saven 32bit EXR, reducing to 16bit Color and saving as PhotoShop RAW file...
Open that in that Tool, and see if it works out for you :)

Some general Photoshop loading plugIn for IGI files would be interesting too ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 am

Hi Pibuz,
as far as I know, RAW files are proprietary formats, so it's not necessarily possible to load them effectively.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 am

Those RAW files are direct dumps of all the info that the camera records, so it makes it possible to adjust a lot of the things you'd set in your camera after shooting, very handy.There is a lot of camera-specific and useless information there that you wouldn't need for images generated digitally (camera profiles, responses, etc. ) so something simpler would do it for renders.

What ever happened to Violet? As far as I remember, that was a standalone post-pro program for Indigo which essentially did the same thing. Using an IGI in such a way then amounted to the same thing as tweaking RAW files in Photoshop, which was pretty cool. It'd be great to have more post-pro options :)

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 am

Why not render to .EXE then use a program like PhotoShop or HDRShop and convert to HDR.
Then you can either tweak to your hearts content in PShop, so so results, or use a dedicated HDR program like Photomatrix, http://hdrsoft.com/, to tweak it?.

Personally I find a 16bit .TIFF file is normally enough for most bouts of manipulation but then I don't like to torture my image files till they scream :lol:
Doug

Doug Armand

davidbaird

Post by davidbaird » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:37 pm

We have been experimenting with Photomatix HDR software ($100.) for both raw architectural photos & for Indigo.
Since Indigo is based on photography, we thought that we would try the same technique for combining multiple exposures in Indigo using Photomatix....it works & can give you various effects. We save multiple ev's from Indigo in .tiff format then import them into Photomatix....& then there is lot's of adjustments to work with. I have been told that CS5 Photoshop has a similar "tone mapping" function now. There are a lot of more sophisticated HDR tone mapping programs on the market along with a lot of free ones (that I found were lacing).

6 posts • Page 1 of 1