:mrgreen:
I just saw the customizable search field :mrgreen:

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: [REQ] v.4 - New UI elements.

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 pm

arc en ciel wrote::mrgreen:
I just saw the customizable search field :mrgreen:
8) yep that solves your problem. But sort by kind is still a good option..

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:33 am

Attempting to use indigo in a professional environment and while the results are pretty awesome (clients were pretty impressed) I'm find thing that the UI could use a few things
1) Each section could use "reset to default" and "save/load preset" options. That was, when I move over to sketchup to make a quick changes I don't have to fiddle with indigo to get back to where I left off. Ideally there would be a "live connection" option where sketchup and indigo can communicate with each other without the need to load up indigo every time you make changes.

2) I would like to be able to adjust my light sources in indigo. So, this means set light layers, adjust power, etc. Having to constantly switch back and forth between indigo and the host app slows down your work flow by quite a a bit.

3) I would like to be able to daisy chain computers for faster rendering in a more intuitive way. Should be as simple as adding your computer to a pool of shared rendering devices and then specifying hosts and slaves. Nikon does this in a really simple wth their flash lighting.

4) I would like to be able specify a color range for absorption.

5) Aforementioned render prioritization where you can tell indigo to focus more more on certain parts of your scene would be really useful as brighter parts almost always are faster than shadows.

6) Render more suggestions to take the guesswork out picking the right one. Would almost make indigo more "idiot proof" for new users.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:13 am

neo0. wrote:
3) I would like to be able to daisy chain computers for faster rendering in a more intuitive way. Should be as simple as adding your computer to a pool of shared rendering devices and then specifying hosts and slaves. Nikon does this in a really simple wth their flash lighting.
I don't use Sketchup much...so i don't know the interface there. But C4D's teamrender is pretty simple to set up and intuitive as it gets.

neo0. wrote: 6) Render more suggestions to take the guesswork out picking the right one. Would almost make indigo more "idiot proof" for new users.
What suggestions? Indigo's learning curve is pretty easy ( ISL not counted ) IMO. Give it a bit time.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:35 am

Nick recently introduced tool tips to pretty much all material settings. There may be more coming, but it's not bad by any means atm. Try V-Ray, now there's a bulky piece of software.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:34 am

neo0. wrote:...make indigo more "idiot proof"...
I'm sorry, I know I'm taking this out of context a bit, but this always bugs me - Indigo is a serious piece of software, not some rinkydink phone app. it's like any tool needed to make something. if you can't be bothered to put the time in to learn how to use your tools (in any discipline), then you are not going to get very far. people post amazing work in these forums all the time - are they all super geniuses? no, they've just taken the time to learn how to use the software. besides that, I think the basics of Indigo are very straight forward and waaaay easier to get into than many other rendering packages. there's always room for streamlining some things and adding features to improve workflow, but I never want to see anything dumbed-down. that goes completely against why I chose Indigo in the first place.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:45 am

FakeShamus wrote:
I'm sorry, I know I'm taking this out of context a bit, but this always bugs me - Indigo is a serious piece of software, not some rinkydink phone app. it's like any tool needed to make something. if you can't be bothered to put the time in to learn how to use your tools (in any discipline), then you are not going to get very far. people post amazing work in these forums all the time - are they all super geniuses? no, they've just taken the time to learn how to use the software. besides that, I think the basics of Indigo are very straight forward and waaaay easier to get into than many other rendering packages. there's always room for streamlining some things and adding features to improve workflow, but I never want to see anything dumbed-down. that goes completely against why I chose Indigo in the first place.
Just what I tell here since years, but some people are more interested in button colour of the GUI then in capabilities of the Renderer itself...
polygonmanufaktur.de

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:50 am

Zom-B wrote:
Just what I tell here since years, but some people are more interested in button colour of the GUI then in capabilities of the Renderer itself...
UI and semantics are important and do not have to come at the cost of a less capable renderer. :) Agree with Fakeshamus though.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am

FakeShamus wrote:
That doesn't mean good principles of ui/ux design should be ignored. A lot of indigo's ui has a very technical feel. Heck, the texture editor almost requires a degree in math to use. A technical background is pretty common among indigo's fan base, but not everyone understands or wants to deal with the tedious technical aspects. Calling it the "color of the button" is essentially thumbing your nose at good ui design.

The texture editor gives us "A", "B", and "C" which don't mean much the to the average person.

Point is that when the user has to think more about the UI, it gets in their way and slows them down.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:42 am

neo0. wrote:
FakeShamus wrote:
The texture editor gives us "A", "B", and "C" which don't mean much the to the average person.

Point is that when the user has to think more about the UI, it gets in their way and slows them down.
Once you understand it you don't think about it, its not rocket science, if you can give an easier yet with the same kind of function (I would imagine somehow akin to photoshop curve function) then why not, but if it is just to be simple by cutting features, that is a big no.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:05 pm

:wink: It's good to see this comments & thoughts.
It all seems from every part that everyone loves Indigo much and want to make it better. :)

FakeShamus has a point you have to learn and dedicate a bit of your time. A simple UI refresh won't solve that part. Indigo is a very advanced engine on OSX it's simply the king of the hill. <IMO

But that said it's also very clear that it deserves better than 24x24 smudgy png icons. :!:
( And a separate Mat editor..but that's another topic for another time )

I agree that the most important part is getting Indigo better and golden under the hood. And UI comes after this.
But the UI needs to change...(many things have been fixed and added since this thread started) but there is still more to do. It's not about making it "idiot proof" i would hate it if everyone would start rendering with it and became mainstream. It's just about having a a very well thought out and on point experience....which let's all of your focus be on rendering and not looking for stuff.

BUT THERE IS A SIMPLE FIX : We just need to clone ONO & Mr.fused ...and make approximately 39-50 copy's from them. And all will be fixed and uploaded by tomorrow 5:00am. :lol: 8)

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:03 pm

Definitely agree with Originalplan :)

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 am

Originalplan® wrote: BUT THERE IS A SIMPLE FIX : We just need to clone ONO & Mr.fused ...and make approximately 39-50 copy's from them. And all will be fixed and uploaded by tomorrow 5:00am. :lol: 8)
I gave it much thought......
i think we have to clone lycium too. :D

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 pm

A lot of things changed UI & otherwise in the last months with v4 BETAS.
All in a good direction! Looks & feels fresh!

One thing that could use a bit of re-think i feel is the material creation inside Indigo.
Now we have a nice modular setup inside Indigo which is great.
But for only creating materials UI wise it's still a bit divided.

Would be awesome if we could close the MAIN render window. So we would end up only with the progressive Material preview window and the sub windows that are needed to create materials. (textures,mat types etc..)
Material preview has all the sizes and objects already to check your material and the relevant spp sample sizes.

So without creating a separate app for only mat creation. I think the most on point and user friendly way would be to have a third pre-built theme in the option menu. Only for material creation.
So you could choose between the dark & bright UI and a +1 Material layout.

Anyways i think this could be very useful. Let me know what you think.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:44 pm

It's been a few months since we got the NEW dark UI.
I wonder how many of you got back to the LIGHT Grey UI for the standard workflow ??
Did any of you go back?
Just wondering.

60 posts