no competition but...WIP!

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

no competition but...WIP!

Post by Pibuz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 am

Hi guys!
I wished I could post this as my entry for the competition, but I don't have any spare time lately. ANY.

Damn.. But, you see, I always enjoy rendering something NOT boring (like the latest works I do for my firm...), so here's my wip. It is some sort of vestibule for an SPA center, obviously invented by me. I adjust some things around and here it is, VEEERY basic.

I am amazed by the out-of-focus feeling Stinkie manages to obtain in his images, so I tried to reproduce the feeling in my architectural non-artistic image, with a very bad result I must say. I think I'll kind of lose this in the following tests.
I don't feel very comfortable also with the colour and material of the couches: you know that in SketchUp the texturing of organic geometries is a real nightmare, not to say a mission: impossible.
I'll have to deal with this. Bof..

Maybe adding some more spots too.. I want some contrast between the front and the rear part of the scene, maybe light colours can help.

Enough chitchat: enjoy!

Comments and critics, but most of all TIPS, are greatly appreciated!
Attachments
SPA vestibule.jpg
Raw render. Only resized in PS half the original size. 16h, LOTS of artifacts!!!!!
SPA vestibule.jpg (1023.16 KiB) Viewed 4706 times

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Re: no competition but...WIP!

Post by suvakas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:41 am

Looking good. I like the right wall.
I'd do something with the material of the chairs though. Currently those are a bit too saturated or have too strong bump value?

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 am

Pibuz wrote:I am amazed by the out-of-focus feeling Stinkie manages to obtain in his images, so I tried to reproduce the feeling in my architectural non-artistic image, with a very bad result I must say.
Who's your daddy? I said: WHO IS YOUR DADDY? :mrgreen:

Filippo, I just apply a tad of Gaussian blur in Photoshop. :wink:

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:56 am

Maybe the front might have really low power lamps like log fire and in back brighter lamps that will be smoothly less brigt as they be more close to fornt rome. And soo large repeating patterns on wall doesnt fit there i guess. Lower reflection for floor maybe.

But nice work :D

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 pm

@ Suv:
the mat of the chairs you see in the image is plain oren-nayar. I've changed that, though :wink:

@ Stinkie:
I had the feeling that you obtained that effect right into indigo! YOU CHEAT!

@ Meelis:
Thank you for the tips. I'm definitely going to work on the mats and lighting..

Thank you guys!

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Stinkie wrote:
Filippo, I just apply a tad of Gaussian blur in Photoshop. :wink:
You just do that to annoy me don't you? :wink:
Doug

Doug Armand

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Here is my work after some little changes.
I'm absolutely satisfied, just need to adjust some minor things.

As always tips and critics are welcome.
This is straight Indigo output, no postwork (excepted a small resizing).

There are 5 light layers, I'll post some variations tomorrow. Enjoy!
Attachments
SPAwip2.jpg
SPAwip2.jpg (478.9 KiB) Viewed 4561 times

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:01 am

I like the color/lighting scheme very much too !

it's about details:

- the shading of the purple bottle looks wrong, some bump might help.

- the concepts of wall composed by separated panes and strict parallelism do not fit well together, I'd suggest a very broad and very subtle bump/displacement/reorientation for panes to make their reflections more realistic.

- the chairs have a very sharp edge, and their alignement looks a bit idealistic.

- add some gap/dark line at the floor/wall panes intersection ?

Details, details... I'm the devil :twisted:

Nah, nice one Pibuz, really.
obsolete asset

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 am

Nice Pibuz!!! I don't like the vase :S Bute i like the scene so much! :wink:

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 am

Hey Pibuz, great render you've got here :wink: But I would agree to Nick, that vase is a bit unsuitable as for me. And one thing I would suggest - rotating one of the chairs a bit. I like the left wall material, second and fourth chair mat a lot. Plus, good decision with stairs. Light, dark, light, dark... I like :)

Josh
Indigo 100

Post by Josh » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:44 am

Replace the vase with some abstract sculpture?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:28 am

Thank you all guys for your feedbacks!

@ CTZn:
- You say adding a subtle bump to the purple bottle would help? You know, It's always difficult to map textures over non planar objects in SU.. :roll: Maybe changing the material? Now is a plain phong with pronounced IOR but very low exponent, something like 20 or 30. Maybe a material kind of the green one, but turned towards a red tone would be better?

- Concerning the wall, do you mean the right ceramic wall, being too "planar"? You're right, at the moment it is a very simple b/w texture, set as diffuse, bump and specular map :lol: . The tiling of the texture determines the vertical joints. Creating what you mean would not be easy at all: I'd have to prepare a big texture for the whole wall, or better to MANUALLY MODEL the tiles, introducing a little rotation to each tile. Wouldn't that be a little crazy? :D I mean, if you think it could help improving realism A LOT I'd do that..

- The chairs, the chairs.. :roll: I'm not convinced either, CTZn. Perhaps it is the wrong model. They're arranged in a a line to give some "order and discipline" feeling, but I was thinking about a little element to disrupt this.. A towel, I don't know.. Do you think I have to change the model or just some orientations?

- There is already a small gap between the right wall and the floor, 1cm x 1cm. On the left, in the corridor, I've imagined another kind of detail, where the (stone) skirting is aligned with the outer edge of the actual wall. There is a tiny gap 7/8 cm up the floor level: that is the separation between the skirting panel and the wall :wink: Too little to be seen, indeed. Minimalism...

@ Nick:
- do you mean the far vase in the background? I think I will get rid of that VERY soon. I HATE sketchup plants.. :evil:

@ Dakiru:
- Thanks man: it's always nice to have good feedbacks like yours. Really boost morale! thank you!
I'll try to rotate a little the elements on the left, don't know if they'll be THOSE models or others. Don't know why but here at my office I have a really mean library!

@ Josh:
- Replacing the plant with an abstract sculpture. That would be interesting. Some ideas? Some...LINKS? :D
..Now that you made me think about it, I'm recalling a very nice piece of furniture by ANDO named "the thinking man". That would work better, indeed..

BTW, thank you all guys. You don't know how important to me is to hear your comments and critics.. Really. One can think that a man who does renders should have his own-made satisfactions, but rendering is a kind of art, and art is for the others. So if any likes an image, that gets to be somehow useless. Sadly. I hope you really enjoy my images. It is essentially important to me. Thank you for the time you spend in giving me hints and tips.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:33 am

I mean the vase at right!! :wink:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am

Pibuz wrote: - You say adding a subtle bump to the purple bottle would help? You know, It's always difficult to map textures over non planar objects in SU.. :roll: Maybe changing the material? Now is a plain phong with pronounced IOR but very low exponent, something like 20 or 30. Maybe a material kind of the green one, but turned towards a red tone would be better?
Changing the material should do, rubber is just too odd for a vase :D
Pibuz wrote:- Concerning the wall, do you mean the right ceramic wall, being too "planar"? You're right, at the moment it is a very simple b/w texture, set as diffuse, bump and specular map :lol: . The tiling of the texture determines the vertical joints. Creating what you mean would not be easy at all: I'd have to prepare a big texture for the whole wall, or better to MANUALLY MODEL the tiles, introducing a little rotation to each tile. Wouldn't that be a little crazy? :D I mean, if you think it could help improving realism A LOT I'd do that..
Honestly yes, I'm pretty sure this can make the difference between a CG scene and man made work. I'm definitly not up to date regarding ISL, but I think there are some simple noise functions available in SkIndigo that you can smooth out and scale way up in order to mimic these planarish deformations, without changing the geometry at all. Something subtle really, just distinguishable in reflections.
Pibuz wrote:- The chairs, the chairs.. :roll: I'm not convinced either, CTZn. Perhaps it is the wrong model. They're arranged in a a line to give some "order and discipline" feeling, but I was thinking about a little element to disrupt this.. A towel, I don't know.. Do you think I have to change the model or just some orientations?
Go for order and discipline, but again you don't want to give the idea that the distance/orientation/whatever relationship between each chair was computed and effected by a robot ;) 3° there, 2.5mm here... I mean, the place is not real if no one was here before, there MUST be some tracks about this past presence. Some wild detail, may it be subtle. It really doesn't have to be obvious, it's just to trick our brain a bit, as opposed to bore it. kay I'm brainiac myself :mrgreen:
Pibuz wrote:- There is already a small gap between the right wall and the floor, 1cm x 1cm. On the left, in the corridor, I've imagined another kind of detail, where the (stone) skirting is aligned with the outer edge of the actual wall. There is a tiny gap 7/8 cm up the floor level: that is the separation between the skirting panel and the wall :wink: Too little to be seen, indeed. Minimalism...
That kind of details I was talking about ! Indeed I missed it :lol:

Keep the good work coming Pibuz, and your mind open like it is now, as we enjoy both !
obsolete asset

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:04 am

Fantastic rendering!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

19 posts