Get feedback from others on your works in progress
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Memorial

Post by Pibuz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 am

This is a really WIP work.
The initial intention was to test the quality of the tree.
Then I added the surrounding walls.

uhm

Then I tried to put some displacement around, added the pebbles. Not convinging, atm... :evil:

Then I worked a little on the concrete mat, which always turns out to be very difficult to me to realize..

Then I was very sad about the first texture for the floor, so I substituted the original one with a custom-batched texture made on the spot. Then I tried to get a wet floor feeling, with some puddles around. Only thing I am pleased of, at the moment :wink:

Then I found that the scene was lacking the SUBJECT so I made the plate, and magically this became a memorial!! :lol:

I've made several test playing with different sky and sun settings. It is soooo cool you guys have implemented this feature 8) I like this combination for I wanted to have a high contrasted image, to obtain an overall warm feeling. I plan to post some of my tests about (light layer setting) to show our newbies what a powerful tool it is!

So, first image.
Enjoy!
Attachments
memorial_forum.jpg
memorial_forum.jpg (752.94 KiB) Viewed 3629 times

Borgleader

Re: Memorial

Post by Borgleader » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:42 am

I think it's a great start, even when taking to account all the points you mentioned.

I would however try to make the plate stand out a bit more. Like you said the scene was lacking subject and now, I find the subject is a little too subtle. Of course I had the "luxury" of reading the thread title so I knew but I asked myself, if I hadn't read it, what would I have thought the subject of this was? And honestly, I think the tree would've been my answer. Something like, "there's always a ray of hope amongst all the clouds" (a metaphor for the single plant alone in this very cement, human made environment).

I guess making it a night scene and having a light shine straight onto the plate would be overkill :lol: but I'm sure there would be a way of somehow indicating more clearly the subject of this scene without ruining the rest.

Anyway that is my 2c (yes I realize that's a lot of text for only 2c :wink: )
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 am

Thank you Borg for you quick answer!
I really think I'm going to play a little with night shots too, here. Having light layers is just too cool. I HAVE TO USE THEM! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I think the plate is small too, but...

but...

...I think I modeled it drown by my heart. I find it to be somehow..discreet.

I have to say something else. Yesterday I finished a short book I bought some time ago.
The book's title is "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". It kind of stroke me. A lot.

Perhaps unconsciusly I have been somehow influenced by the story. The main character is a very young boy. I think in my imagination I represented him. That's why the plate is so tiny.

BTW, I agree with your opinion that the scene is still quite empty. I'll try to add some light fixtures or something.. Thank you!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 am

Sky looks a little dark to me.
Very nice scene tho!

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:01 pm

Good start, water is realy greats!!!

maybe try with env map, I agree with Ono, sky is a bit dark and a bit empty to me :wink:

benn

Post by benn » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:29 pm

A skyline in the distance maybe?

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Pibuz i like the scene....but i dont like the pebbles...appear without depth!!!!

Good luck :D

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:10 pm

Sweet render, dude... I prettty much agree with everything that's been said so far though. The sky is a little distracting.. The pebles on the ground also seem pretty flat.. At that angle a bump map probabaly won't do, I'de go with displacement.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 am

Heya!
This is a little update.
Tweaked the displacement on the pebbles a little, and the result is far more convincing (to me).
Added some objects and lights, and made some minor changes to the materials.
Added a sky to test the alpha map.
The current version is rendering with 4 light layers. I'm planning to add some more details, and some other objects, such as candles and stuff.. Maybe a chair or something to sit on?
Tips and suggestion welcome!
Attachments
memorial_wip.jpg
memorial_wip.jpg (517.37 KiB) Viewed 3238 times

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:38 am

Tree looks like it's painted onto the wall, and the leaves have a bit of white fringe on them?

Maybe you could add a bench? :)
samlavoie.xyz

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 am

I agree that the lighting is loosing contrast between the tree and the back wall.

You can set the exact position in height of the peebles by specifying a negative value for the "c" parameter of the displacement texture (in scene units), now there's a gap. "c" doesn't modify at all how displacement looks like, but it's pushing the whole block up or down along the initial triangles normals. If the "c" value is around -"b"/2 then the displaced mesh will look about at the same height than the initial plane. i.e. for b = 0.05 and c ~= -0.025.

Nice improvements overall, we'll have soon another excelllent shot from you Pibuz ;)

edit: I must say that I was liking very much the dark sky version, I love that lighting at the end of the day when the sky is overcast, it's quite unreal but happens.
obsolete asset

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 am

Hi guys! Thanks for your feedbacks!
With GI only, I find the tree a little flat tot.. :?
I'm going to have a look at the lighting again.

Thank you CTZn for your hint about c value: i'm going to test it soon!

Godzilla: when I wrote about adding a chair I meant a bench :lol:
BTW, I'm thinking about some sort of concrete-carved sculpture which is possible to sit on..
Any ideas? :wink:

The white fringe is probably due to the alpha map: i added the sky in such a hurry that I didn't pay too much attention to the threshold.. Btw, this is meant to be a temp sky: I plan to substitute it with a more suitable one very soon.

In the meanwhile, here is another light setting. What do you think?
(aperture enabled)
Attachments
wip_raw.jpg
wip_raw.jpg (627.65 KiB) Viewed 3209 times

12 posts • Page 1 of 1