hi : what i understood. any other tips?

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
djegoo
Indigo 100

hi : what i understood. any other tips?

Post by djegoo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:55 am

hi

i am a brand new Skindigo User, and i first of all want to thank the developpers of this freaking hot software because it is exactly what i was looking for
i have been working on Vray, Artlantis2, podium, then Maxwell but these softwares weren t so well adapted directly in SKetch, or too unfriendly to use, or not accurate enough (however, sometimes, i need to be fast so it still happens that i use them.
and now that i found Indigo, seeing that Whaat was actually also on sketchucation, my curiosity advised me to follow this awesome guy with his awesome work and tutorials and SU plugins!

that s it for the introduction.

so here is the point of this subject :
i am learning to do interior Renders with indigo. so after doing all the tutorials i would like to show you what i am applying to my renders, to know if you could tell me if something is wrong or misses or any else.

This scene composition is not very interesting, it is just a test. however, i wanted to crowd it with objects, since i m used to render complicated scenes with lots of furniture and natural+artificial lights, and many details.

so, for this scene : here is what i did
-BidirMLT for tracing method (it is better for interiors with lots of indirect light and faster for caustics according to tutorial?)
-Exit portals in front of the windows. hope i did them correctly
-NO pure white or black color,
-"what else"?

i would like to know if there is something i did wrong? or if there is something i could do do improve render speed? or if there is any technical manipulation i could do another way?

thanks, i hope you will answer
this is a 4hou render for a 1376x681 resolution (the sketchup viewport). i know sometime renders reach 30hours of render, but in average, how many sample/pixel do i have to reach to have a supaclean picture? something like 2000?
Attachments
4heures 530Sample30microscond.png
4heures 530Sample30microscond.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1995 times

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: hi : what i understood. any other tips?

Post by Zom-B » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:04 am

set your light emitting materials to pure black diffuse material that emittes light in a color you like to.
By this renderings speeds up nicely if you have bigger light emitters at least!
ExitPortals + no pure black white (80% & 20% also for colors!!!) are quite right here too!!! :D
polygonmanufaktur.de

djegoo
Indigo 100

Post by djegoo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:43 am

hi

thanks a lot for answering!
i have a newbinoob question though. why pure black for the emitter color? is there a particuliar reason?

here is a new version, i added some bump on the floor because materials details are also in rendering speed.

actually, in the previous scene, i did not use exit portals, i was wrong, but in this one i did

4hours of rendering too. looks like even if there have been less Sample/pixel (464 although the first is at 530) the result has been faster and more accurate!

another question : i have 1cm thick glass on the low table on the left. is there something particuliar to do to the glass ? since some light goes through it? a kind of technique like exit portals? or do i leave it like that?

regards, Diego
Attachments
Exitportal4hours464sample34microsecond.png
Exitportal4hours464sample34microsecond.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1968 times

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 am

Hi,

Welcome to Indigo! To answer one of your questions, I would expect the render to be very clean after 2000 samples per pixel. (maybe even 1000 for this type of scene). Interior renderings almost always take long to clear due to the many light bounces. If you have complicated light paths such as lots of glassware or subsurface scattering, it might take upwards of 10,000 samples per pixel to be noise free. If you plan to be rendering at medium to high resolutions and want it done quick, you'll be needing some serious computer horsepower or network rendering. That's just the nature of unbiased rendering.

Zomb was right about colors, though. Make sure your colors aren't so saturated. Less saturation is more realistic and will render faster.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:46 am

djegoo wrote:i have a newbinoob question though. why pure black for the emitter color? is there a particuliar reason?
Pure Black color simply doesn't bounce any light, so any rays that hit the emitting mesh (material) get ignored. Since Light emitting materials / meshes does emit light by themself, any other light interaktion can be dismissed (by setting material color to pure black).

Exit portals lower the amount of samples, but their quality is much higher, so you get a better image after the same time!
polygonmanufaktur.de

5 posts • Page 1 of 1