My first living-room !

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
madcoo
Indigo 100

My first living-room !

Post by madcoo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi all !

Well, not long ago I posted a couple of images (a "concrete" sofa along the beach :lol: and an armchair)
This time I've finally modelled a living-room.

For those who don't know me yet, I'm only a newbie in 3D, and I'm looking for advice - so please do not hesitate and comment on this !!!
:D

Render time : 12 hours 35 mins

I'm not quite happy with :
- THE BOOKS : the texture needs more details - at least something that looks like a title on the cover, or an image. The pages don't look real either (they look like a white "block"), although I used a texture on the mesh :(
- THE TABLE : here again, although I used a wood texture, it doesn't show very well :(
- THE LAMPSHADE (the smaller one on the right) : i spent hours working on it, and that's the best result I could come up with... I used a Matt Emitter (RGB, not Blackbody) for the lampshade itself, and also modelled the lightbulb as a Matt Emitter (RGB too). Then I played around with the light layers settings... Any help with this is welcome! :D

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Visit my website!
http://www.fairview-3d.com Studio 3D

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Re: My first living-room !

Post by zeitmeister » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:17 am

Looks great!

madcoo
Indigo 100

Post by madcoo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 am

Thanks!

Do I have the right "technique" for the lampshade?
Visit my website!

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi Madcoo!
I really have to say that for a beginner you're on the right track, I think!

I guess this is done from...blender? and with the multilight technique.
For archviz interiors I think that is the best way to have the possibility to "change moods" afterwards, so good choice :wink:!

I find the second image to be the best of your "triptych", perhaps being richer in light variations (more sources, with different colours) which I find to be a good trick to ensure a good level of realism.

The third obviously lacks a little more calculation so that's really not accurately evaluable at the moment. But I think you already know that :wink:.

I usually treat lampshades as blend materials, not like emitters, but that's a personal choice.
I think you can try with simple diffuse transmitters, or try to blend a diffuse transmitter with a phong, to give it a little reflection.

Last thing I say is that your window needs a curtain or something like that, just not to see an inconsistent exterior.

One question: the light entering from the window (which I see in the mirror) is a light coming from a sky, or is it a simple emitter? If you used sun/sky, have you used an exit portal?

madcoo
Indigo 100

Post by madcoo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Pibuz!

Thanks for your encouraging comments !

Indeed, it's been done in Blender. I only use Blender in fact.
I tried to use Sketchup, but I got a little "frightened" by what I've seen in several forums, about UV mapping with Sketchup - apparently you have to manually unfold every face of your meshes to get a UVMap!!!!

The entering light is from the Sky - thanks for asking me if I use Exit Portals because.... I've heard of them but I haven't got a clue about their use !!! :lol:

So if you could explain this to me that'd be great!
:wink:
Visit my website!

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 am

What I think is that SketchUp is great and SkIndigo is smart and intuitive.
What I think also is that at the moment SU lacks a great part about the mapping, though for my architectural needs it has (almost) always been completely satisfying. But I have to admit that a designer would encounter several problems when doing his job with SU.. :roll:
Another non-secondary part is a good handling of heavy geometry (big files, accurate-modeled objects,...): someone here and there tries to post something to ensure the users about the easy handling of such a load of geometry, but for my multi-year experience I can say that it isn't completely true..
Apart from these considerations, I've always worked with sketch and I posted here in the indigo forum some examples which I find to be interesting the same way as renders from blender or 3dsMax. Obviously you'll hardly find a tree or a plant in my renders, ok, that's true :?

BTW, coming back to our business: what are exit portals.
Basically "exit portal" is a simple shader which assigns no physical properties to the surface which is applied to: it only acts as an "open window" to the environment.
Let's make it clearer. In you render the sky is all around your geometry. An exit portal placed in the right place could just "erase" all the light of the environment EXCEPTED the one which enters your room through the door. This will really speed up the convergence of your image: you won't have more samples per pixel, as far as I know, but you'll get to have less noise in a same amount of time.

You're wondering how to use such a fantastic tool?
Just model a rectangle outside the window. Make sure that it covers the entire hole you cut in the wall to host the window. Assign a colour to that rectangle, and make it an EXIT PORTAL through your application's plugin. Done!

You're welcome :wink:

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:16 am

I think this picture done by suvakas explains a lot

madcoo
Indigo 100

Post by madcoo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:55 am

This is just GRRREEEAAAAT !!!!

Thanks a lot guys!!!

(I'm working on another scene, I'll post it when it's done)
Visit my website!

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 am

hey mad! I just realized that there are NO MIRROS in your scene! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I exchanged your door to another room for a mirror! :lol: :lol: :lol:

what a geek....

madcoo
Indigo 100

Post by madcoo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 am

Don't worry !!!
:lol:
Visit my website!

10 posts • Page 1 of 1