Liquids Test Thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
WytRaven
Indigo 100

Re: Liquids Test Thread

Post by WytRaven » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:37 pm

To be honest, although the env map version does look nicer the difference in rendering time just isnt worth it for a test scene. We need speed over sex appeal :lol:

I also notice that it converges significatly faster without the env map. compare 10Kspp (no env) vs 63Kspp (with env)...big difference in the liquid convergence if you ask me...

I'll be interested to see how an env version with exit portals goes...
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:40 pm

WytRaven wrote:I also notice that it converges significatly faster without the env map. compare 10Kspp (no env) vs 63Kspp (with env)...big difference in the liquid convergence if you ask me...
Noticed that, too.
WytRaven wrote:I'll be interested to see how an env version with exit portals goes...
The env version with exit portals is pretty much the same as without them as the exit portals would be at the same position as the scene boundaries are anyway... or am I wrong here? :?

So let's stick with the no env version for the sake of rendering speed. :mrgreen:

€dit: Optimized the igs, removed unused materials and so on.
€dit 2: Changed the background position a bit so the grid texture fits to the pot's body.
Attachments
teapot_liquid_noenv.zip
(725.77 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am

I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but in real life orange juice never turns black unless it's geared towards a certain scale. You can pour it into a small cup or a big one and it still looks very much like orange juice.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am

neo0. wrote:I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but in real life orange juice never turns black unless it's geared towards a certain scale. You can pour it into a small cup or a big one and it still looks very much like orange juice.
.... What? Are you referring to the bidir bug or whatnot?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 am

Borgleader wrote:
neo0. wrote:I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but in real life orange juice never turns black unless it's geared towards a certain scale. You can pour it into a small cup or a big one and it still looks very much like orange juice.
Nope. My OJ turned black when the scale was too small. That was the problem that a few people discussed with me on the previous page.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 am

neo0. wrote:
Borgleader wrote:
Nope. My OJ turned black when the scale was too small. That was the problem that a few people discussed with me on the previous page.
That thingg about small faces turning black?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 am

Yep. The whole discussion we had about scale. In real life, oj still looks like oj whether it's in a 2 inch of 5 inch glass.

EDIT : Bidrectional MLT = 31,000 samples/sec and plain MLT yields around 60,000 samples/sec. Around twice as fast.
Last edited by neo0. on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 am

neo0. wrote:Yep. The whole discussion we had about scale. In real life, oj still looks like oj whether it's in a 2 inch of 5 inch glass.
Yes, and that's a bug right? And isn't it related to bidir? like if you use the same scale and turn off bidir, do you still get it?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:34 am

Both are at around 30 spp
]Bidirectional MLT

MLT

Notice the slower convergence on the first one. Not only do the samples take longer, but it will also need more of them to obtain the same result as MLT.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 am

Yeah yeah finally learn how one does liquids in a glass right, okay?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:34 pm

The two renders show some interesting differences between Path Tracing and MLT (bidirectional turned off for both renders). The PT result is the best quality with almost none of the blackness around the rim of the glass, the meniscus of the juice, or the base of the glass. I wonder if this a bug with MLT or if the settings for MLT just need to be tweaked. I only had Max Num Consec Rej set at 500 for the MLT render. I will try another render with it set higher.

If you recall from my other posts, when bidirectional is turned on, there is significant black artifacts for BOTH PT and MLT methods. However, I am not posting examples of that here.

The PT version rendered much longer than the MLT one did. However, I think they both converged at a similar rate. I just stopped the MLT one before all the noise cleared.

Tests are with Indigo 2.0.12
Attachments
juicePT.jpg
The PT render. Very nice result and similar convergence rate with the MLT.
juicePT.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
juiceMLT.jpg
The MLT render. Notice the blackness around the rim, meniscus, and the base of the glass
juiceMLT.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 2492 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Nice nice :) Could you post your scene? I could also let it render overnight, I have 4Gb of RAM & a 2.4Ghz quad core so I think I should be able to handle a pretty high setting.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi Whaat,
just remember that any non-infinite M.N.C.R is actually biased. And 500 is a rather small value - I don't think you're giving the MLT algorithm enough chances to sample the tricky areas of the path space.
Try cranking up the MNCR to a million or so :)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:59 pm

OnoSendai wrote:Hi Whaat,
just remember that any non-infinite M.N.C.R is actually biased. And 500 is a rather small value - I don't think you're giving the MLT algorithm enough chances to sample the tricky areas of the path space.
Try cranking up the MNCR to a million or so :)
Yes, you're right! This is the ticket! I am rendering a new one with MNCR at 2000 and the result is looking much better!
Attachments
juiceMLT2000MNCR.jpg
juiceMLT2000MNCR.jpg (136.82 KiB) Viewed 2484 times

matsta

Post by matsta » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:05 pm

thanks for wasting like a million megs of my hard earned cap on the two ugliest images i think i've ever seen neo! ill drink to you this evening.

@ Pure, that last teapot was hot!
@ Whaat, biggest problem with OJ renders is that nobody wants to model pulp :< until someone does that they will never truely be accurate.

Loving this thread btw!

157 posts