The Renderer's Rings

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
WytRaven
Indigo 100

Re: The Renderer's Rings

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:27 pm

PureSpider wrote:the ray nudge distance of 0.1mm, right?
Just thinking...
I think it's 0.01 mm (1 hundredth of a millimeter).
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Nope it is 1.0e-4 m = 0.0001 m = 0.1 mm by default
Indigo Manual wrote:ray_origin_nudge_distance
Ray origins are offset by this distance after intersection, in order to avoid false self-intersections.
type: scalar real
restrictions: must be >= 0
units: meters
default value: 1.0e-4
Blendigo default is 0.00001m = 1.0e-5m = 0.01mm
If your diamonds are just 1.6mm in diameter, 0.1mm on either side is fucking much.

Actually - with the help of CTZn I found out that scaling the diamonds down just a tad (probably below ray nudge distance) causes a huge difference in their refractions (as opposed to coplanary diamond/socket faces).

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Indigo 2.0.8 Changelog wrote:* Changed self-intersection avoidance code.
With the changes the the self-intersection avoidance in 2.0.8 it would be interesting to know if the ray nudge distance is still relevant at all.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 am

WytRaven wrote:The diamonds are 1.2 mm in diameter and the distance between the stones and their sockets would be measured in micrometers I would guess. It's to small for me to be able to actually give you a distance. All I can say is that they are "floating" within their sockets. There is no intersection between diamond and socket.

The ray nudge is blendigo default: 0.00001
I'm not sure what you are replying to PureSpider as everything you just said agrees with what I said earlier...
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:26 am

I just confirmed that a gap of width < ray nudge distance actually changes the rendering result, wasn't sure about that one before!

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:54 am

So if you look at the floating glass test render on the last page do the diamonds look as though they are suffering this coplanar issue or not?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:12 am

The three stones perhaps yes, but that would take a test render to say.
obsolete asset

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:28 am

See the renders for comparison.
And not, it's not cause of the SPP, the refractions converge relatively fast.
Attachments
gap.png
With gap
gap.png (539.89 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
nogap.png
No gap
nogap.png (597.28 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 am

Yeah I can see what you mean...

I'm about to start remodeling the silver ring so I will try some different gaps myself and see how I go.

BTW I'm in IRC at the moment if you want to chat about this.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Ok so I have completly remodeled the silver inner ring.

I decided to do some decent research of jewelry design and in particular setting design before going ahead and discovered a couple of things worth noting.
  • Faceted translucent gems of any resonable size are always mounted with open backs
  • Strips of faceted translucent gems are generally set in slots or in raised claws
So taking these things into account I completely changed the design of the inner ring. I increased the size of the diamonds and therefore went for a single strip instead of three as creating three slots would have made for a ring that couldn't really be physically made; the silver would get too thin.

Despite the open back principle above the double ring design doesn't really allow for it so I have provided plenty of room in the settings for light to get in behind the stones instead where it can reflect off the inner part of the gold outer band. I also slightly increased the radius of the bevel on the inside of the gold band, but only very slightly as when looking at my wedding ring the bevel is very small (and no it doesn't hurt me :lol:)

The one last tweak of note is with the diamonds themselves. In the test render for the floating glass setup the uniformity of the diamonds sticks out like a sore thumb so each diamond in the new design has been rotated along it's axis somewhere between -1.5 and 1.5 degrees.

I said I wasn't going to use the floating glass technique again but with a little tweaking I managed to get it to perform at a reasonable speed and the double reflection has actually grown on me so I am rendering the new ring design against floating glass.

In the meantime here are some shots of the new ring design. There is a cross section of the diamond slot, a cross section of the gold band, and total shot showing the claw mounts for the three primary stones.

I tried to keep the claws small and unobtrusive as claws and raised settings are more of a feminine thing where this ring is supposed to be masculine (I'm not sure the masculinity has been preserved unfortunately)
NewInnerRing.jpg
NewInnerRing.jpg (135.26 KiB) Viewed 17277 times

Stur

Post by Stur » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 pm

WytRaven, the expert of technical drawings :P

Very nice and precise modling Wyt ;)

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:11 pm

WytRaven wrote:
  • Faceted translucent gems of any resonable size are always mounted with open backs
  • Strips of faceted translucent gems are generally set in slots or in raised claws
Could have told you that... :oops:

Nice design anyway, let's see how it will turn out :)

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:42 am

Latest test of new design. Just need to do the texture mapping and re-render and it's about done I think.
RenderersRingsTest2.jpg
RenderersRingsTest2.jpg (172.57 KiB) Viewed 17433 times

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:24 am

Is there a texture map with a noise pattern on the inner side of the ring ? That kind of noise looks a bit like Vray rendering artifacts caused by a low irradiance map settings for glossy reflections. Brings down the visual quality for me. Has a biased feel or smth.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:34 am

No this is without any texture mapping. It just hasn't converged fully yet. This is at ~10K spp.

EDIT: (Well I certainly hope that's all it is and not some weird artifact....I just noticed a distinct pattern in the noise...)

69 posts