The Renderer's Rings

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
WytRaven
Indigo 100

Re: The Renderer's Rings

Post by WytRaven » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Borgleader wrote:lol oops didnt see that...well oddly I got it to work O.o
No worries borg. I'll give your edge loop positioning variation a go tonite and see what happens.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Polinalkrimizei wrote:And what is so wrong about this one? Distortion can be removed quite easily via proportional editing!
If all I was doing was scratch maps then that would probably work fine Pol but as I am also wanting to place a maker's mark and serial number on the inner side of the band (which is why I am trying to map to a rectangle) it just wouldn't be practical. But thanks for the suggestion anyway :)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 pm

Got your point. So, does indigo work with multiple uv sets?
In this case just select the inner faces around the area you want to texture, go to side view, select "cylinder from view". In blender it is easy to add more than one uv set to any mesh (edit menue).
Alternatively: Try projection painting!! It is much more fun :wink:

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:35 am

Ok so after much work I have finally achieved what I was trying to do. I tried various ways including those suggested here with little luck so I went back to my original idea of pinning all bored uvs. It worked but my gawd it shouldn't be that hard :shock:

I have learnt though that blender's "industry leading" uv unwrapping is great on organic or poly simple objects but give it something that is a "perfect" shape with non-uniform poly sizes and it shits itself bad. Oh well we can't have everything I suppose.

The left and right edges aren't perfect but for my purposes this is good enough.

Here's what I was after and now have:
UVCorrect.jpg
UVCorrect.jpg (171.71 KiB) Viewed 3306 times

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:03 am

Cool beans.

I'm curious- what's the resolution of the map for the ring and how many polys does the ring have?
samlavoie.xyz

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm

The texture is 9000 x 2250. It's only that large because the scratches need to be very very fine to look at all realistic.

The gold ring has 24,480 quads. I could probably get away with less around the circumference of the "tube" where most are used for the slightly convex inner surface but the 360 divisions around the ring circumference are definitely necessary to ensure a perfectly curved edge. Could probably get it down around the 12k quads if I could be bothered doing it now :P

BTW that is not the actual final map. I was just using that image to get the UVs done. The final map looks (well one of the two) like this:
GoldRingBump01.jpg
GoldRingBump01.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Obviously massively reduced in size :) Each ring in the rendered scene has it's own slightly different map; different serial number and different scratching. The maps are seamless along the short edges only as the long edges are hidden behind the silver rings.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Wow thats great!
Wonder how you created the number and stamp?
Photoshop brushes? Clever usage of some fonts?

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 pm

PureSpider wrote:Photoshop brushes? Clever usage of some fonts?
Serial and maker's mark were all done with fonts. I chose the main font because it's very simple and is similar to the one used on my real ring. The mark font is just a simple serif font and the ring is an alchemy symbol from an alchemy font :D

After rasterizing I just did a little selection transformation to break up the uniformity a bit, which is something I noticed on my wedding ring, and did 3 or 4 simple box blurs to get an ever so soft edge (with a lower res map you would probably only do one to avoid softening the edge too much).

The two rings have consecutive serials :)

It's mirrored on both axis' 'cause I couldn't be stuffed moving my UVs along the X axis and inverting along the Y...it was easier to do the "fixing" in photoshop :lol:

Also a note on this map: The horizontal centre of the map is less scratched on purpose as this is the inner ring portion which gets naturally polished by rubbing on the skin :D ...just in case you were wondering :lol:

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 am

Ok I'm convinced there's a bug in Indigo with small polygons. That weird patterned noise on the inside of the ring renders exactly the same when no textures and no HDRI env map is used.

I thought maybe it was just some feature that was slow to converge but after 20K spp on my current render it is still exactly the same. I will leave current one going for another 20 or so hours and see if it changes but all signs are pointing to "not a freakin chance". :roll:

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:43 am

Zoomed in example image so you can see what I'm referring to.
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 3165 times

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:53 am

Did you notice the pattern is mirrored?
Dunno what that shows, just wanted to mention it... :?

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 am

Purespider, yeah I see that, I also see the numbers from the makers' mark. I wonder if the texture is still on there somehow?

Actually polina's method works well with vertex groups, one each for the 'inner' and 'outer' sections of the ring. Unwrap them separately. No tweaking was done besides moving the outer uv group down.
Attachments
vertexgroups.JPG
vertexgroups.JPG (83.89 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 am

dmn wrote:Purespider, yeah I see that, I also see the numbers from the makers' mark. I wonder if the texture is still on there somehow?
Yes the texture is on there. This is from the current render. I previously tried with no textures and no env just to see if that was the problem and the results were exactly the same.

By the way, now try that unwrapping method on a mesh that is not evenly distributed round the "tube" of the ring.

Render is currently at 30K spp with no change...

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi Wyt, the pattern bug is due to a self intersection issue.
I've made some changes to the code already, so hopefully this should be fixed in the upcoming 2.0.10.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 pm

OnoSendai wrote:Hi Wyt, the pattern bug is due to a self intersection issue.
I've made some changes to the code already, so hopefully this should be fixed in the upcoming 2.0.10.
Ah well that's a relief just knowing what it is. Thanks for the update. I'll wait for 2.0.10 before wasting more electricity rendering this thing again ;)

69 posts