The Night Before Christmas...

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
cookieofdoom

The Night Before Christmas...

Post by cookieofdoom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm

This is a series of images I'm doing on gingerbread men uprising to kill santa (as he eats thousands of their kind every year).

These are the plans that they've drawn up to kill him (done in GIMP)

This is just something to demonstrate their hatred for Santa. (Blender, GIMP, and Indigo)

This is their house where they store supplies and make their plans. (Blender, GIMP, Indigo... and I got the M4A1 model from the sketchup warehouse)

This is a giant gingerbread man taking a picture of himself in a bathroom mirror... It is not really all that related to the killing Santa Clause theme, but it's a gingerbread man so I figured I'd include it (Blender, GIMP, and Indigo).

Any suggestions are welcome. My next scene will involve a cup of milk, plate of cookies, and gingerbread hanging out to kill Santa (like in the blueprint plan). I'll also be trying to do a bookshelf with a sniper cookie in it. I'm just doing these for fun, and to learn. I really do appreciate input.

Thanks!

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Pretty funny! but... jpg > png :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:13 pm

well technically png > jpg in quality...I assume you are referring to size borg ;)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

cookieofdoom

Post by cookieofdoom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah... I work in PNG a lot because Indigo outputs in it, and it supports transparency, and it's lossless. I'll make a point to upload in jpg in the future. I take my 10Mb down connection for granted, sometimes. :roll:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:47 pm

I was having fun with the idea already, and it's fine work also.

"Sincerly"

;)

Hey a quick throw since you are at testing: see if milk can be approximated with an absorbing but ior-less medium, wrapped in a null+phong blend, or akin. Just 2 untested cents.

cookieofdoom

Post by cookieofdoom » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:29 am

CTZn wrote:I was having fun with the idea already, and it's fine work also.

"Sincerly"

;)

Hey a quick throw since you are at testing: see if milk can be approximated with an absorbing but ior-less medium, wrapped in a null+phong blend, or akin. Just 2 untested cents.
Thank you very much. I'm currently trying your idea of a blended material (at least, I think that's what you meant, I'm a bit of a beginner at this stuff). If it works, it'll be my first ever blended texture. :P

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:20 am

That last one is for his myspace! :lol:

cookieofdoom

Post by cookieofdoom » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:42 am

crojack wrote:That last one is for his myspace! :lol:
Facebook, actually. :P On that topic... anyone know how I can get better glare?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 am

I'm currently trying your idea of a blended material (at least, I think that's what you meant, I'm a bit of a beginner at this stuff).
I'm myself digging in these general material concerns atm, I'll be fully operative when the Maya exporter will support that all (closing by, hopefully).

So if you can directly blend the ior-less, absorbing specular with a phong go for it, I just can't tell if Indigo will take that. If either your exporter or Indigo do not allow that operation, assign the blah, blah-less specular to the mesh, duplicate the mesh, assign it either a) a non absorbing, Uber-high exponent glossy_transparent or b) a blend of phong + null. You can try to a2) downscale the blend/glossy mesh so the minimal distance with the absorbing mesh is above 0.0001m (default r_o_n_d if I'm correct). Or try to scale it b2) otherwise.

I'm sorry to send you in that mess, I'd love to test the jazz myself ! But I'm dealing with my own mess atm :D

cookieofdoom

Post by cookieofdoom » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:22 am

CTZn wrote:
I'm currently trying your idea of a blended material (at least, I think that's what you meant, I'm a bit of a beginner at this stuff).
I'm myself digging in these general material concerns atm, I'll be fully operative when the Maya exporter will support that all (closing by, hopefully).

So if you can directly blend the ior-less, absorbing specular with a phong go for it, I just can't tell if Indigo will take that. If either your exporter or Indigo do not allow that operation, assign the blah, blah-less specular to the mesh, duplicate the mesh, assign it either a) a non absorbing, Uber-high exponent glossy_transparent or b) a blend of phong + null. You can try to a2) downscale the blend/glossy mesh so the minimal distance with the absorbing mesh is above 0.0001m (default r_o_n_d if I'm correct). Or try to scale it b2) otherwise.

I'm sorry to send you in that mess, I'd love to test the jazz myself ! But I'm dealing with my own mess atm :D
I'm working with that idea right now... or something like it... My problem is that I can't seem to get the material bright enough... I suppose I could tone down the brightness of everything else... actually, that might be my problem. I have to go now, so I restarted the SSS render (which I forgot to do last night) as I'll be gone for a few hours.

EDIT: My wall was way too bright. I've fixed that (was .98... now .88 ), but I'm still gonna keep trying the SSS. I'll get back to the other method later. Thanks for all the help/ideas. :D

10 posts • Page 1 of 1