First attempt at food visualization

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
neo0.

First attempt at food visualization

Post by neo0. » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 am

Wanted to do this for another of my scenes, but I figured I should do it separately.
Attachments
im1232304730.jpg
740 SPP
im1232304730.jpg (794.96 KiB) Viewed 4460 times

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm

make your burger bottoms flatter!

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 pm

+1 @ dmg

The fries are too straight and lack "bumpiness"
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neepneep
Indigo 100

Post by neepneep » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:43 pm

I like the pink sherbert sorbet but I doubt it tastes very good with fries :?

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 pm

neepneep wrote:I like the pink sherbert sorbet but I doubt it tastes very good with fries :?
Isnt it ketchup?

neepneep
Indigo 100

Post by neepneep » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:28 pm

No it distinctly looks like a pink sherbet sorbet (unless of course you mean its pink sherbet sorbet flavoured ketchup?)

either way, it still wont taste very good with fries.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 am

ne0 if there is one piece of advice that would do you the most good at the moment I believe it would be "slow down, and focus".

I don't know much about you, obviously, but from your posted renders and the types of questions you ask I get the distinct impression that you're young. Early to late teens perhaps? You seem to be in a desperate hurry to get "awesome" quick... Both modelling and rendering in 3D are art forms which take time and patience to master :)

I really think it would be good for you to pick something simple, say an interesting coffee cup (pick an object you can actually have in front of you physically) and model it from beginning to end with real accuracy; the difference between a good 3D model and a p'o's 3D model is not very much and more or less comes down to attention to detail. Attention to detail just means slowing down and taking your time to really see the reality of the object you are modelling rather than what brain thinks. Brains are lazy by nature when it comes to visualizing we only store fundamentals with few details so you need to learn to override your brain's natural laziness and really pay attention to true shape, form, and colour.

Once you have come up with a good detailed model (by detailed I don't mean millions of polys, I mean visually correct) then take the time to texture it correctly again overriding your brains desire to over simplify. I assure you that the amount you will learn in this relatively simple task will do you a world of good and go a long way to set you on the path to 3D rendering success.

If you think I am full of crap go take a look at some of BbB's renders that he's dropped here over the last year. The majority of them are quite simple from a content point of view and yet every one of them makes your jaw drop...the number one reason? Attention to detail in both modelling and texturing. Learn from the master's example young Jedi ;)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Im actually 22... I've been modelling on and off for the last few years as sort of a side hobby. Until a few months ago, I was using Yafray, which is very different than Indigo. A lot of people such as yourself have been using indigo for a lot longer im guessing. The concept of different material types has proved to be very different.

In addition, yafray, being biased, rendered very fast, and im not sure about having to wait hours just to do a test scene..

I admit my modelling isn't top notch, but I think im getting better. If you want to get an idea of my first stuff..

Now my later stuff

Im currently learning hexagon. Keep in mind im a poor college student who can't afford things like 3Ds max that cost $5000.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Neither do most people, but theres something called "torrent" for that.

Anyway, please oh please refrain from posting HUGE pictures. I think we mentioned this quite a few times.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:32 pm

neo0. wrote:Im actually 22... I've been modelling on and off for the last few years as sort of a side hobby.
Most of us do this as a hobby but it doesn't change the fact that 3D rendering/modelling is an art form that takes time to master (do we ever actually master it?)..
neo0. wrote:In addition, yafray, being biased, rendered very fast, and im not sure about having to wait hours just to do a test scene..
As I'm sure many have suggested before do small res renders for testing, or use region rendering if you need to see a small part close up. Blendigo has a very handy resolution percentage option which is great for doing lighting and layout tests without having to screw around with your base resolution settings.
neo0. wrote:I admit my modelling isn't top notch, but I think im getting better.
Of course you are. Practice makes perfect but I would highly recommend you practice with a package worth the effort.
neo0. wrote:Im currently learning hexagon. Keep in mind im a poor college student who can't afford things like 3Ds max that cost $5000.
The best $0.00 3D modelling package available is Blender; period. I would highly recommend you drop sketchup and whatever the hell hexagon is (ok had a look at it out of curiosity and it looks reasonable at a glance but has no indigo exporter of course...) in favour of the very solid and powerful Blender. It seems hard at first but I assure you that not only will you come to understand the interface, you will end up loving it and the unique power it affords.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:42 pm

WytRaven wrote: The best $0.00 3D modelling package available is Blender; period. I would highly recommend you drop sketchup and whatever the hell hexagon is (ok had a look at it out of curiosity and it looks reasonable at a glance but has no indigo exporter of course...) in favour of the very solid and powerful Blender. It seems hard at first but I assure you that not only will you come to understand the interface, you will end up loving it and the unique power it affords.
That i have to say is absolutely true. The use of hotkeys takes some getting used to but once you get it it speeds up your work flow a lot. I've recently tried 3ds max 2009 and it's been highly annoying to have to go click here and there to activate this or that tool.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

WytRaven wrote:
neo0. wrote:Im actually 22... I've been modelling on and off for the last few years as sort of a side hobby.
Most of us do this as a hobby but it doesn't change the fact that 3D rendering/modelling is an art form that takes time to master (do we ever actually master it?).
My opinion is that mastery is an illusion, just as perfection is. It would take forever for your hands to follow the paths of your mind.

- - - -

I would take Wyt's advices as pure gold if I was a 3d wannabee... still It takes some guts to refrain oneself from the to-get-now aberration, in everyday's life.

crojack

Post by crojack » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 am

Hey, don't bash on us sketchup users :cry::wink:

I think I read that neoO uses something else to model and just uses sketchup for the Skindigo exporter.

Which, I'm guessing, is why his stuff is always floating, his normals are usually wrong, and he asks tons of questions.

And sketchup is really a bad program to import/export out of , it's not made for that at all.

Basically what everyone is saying is learn a 3d program that has an indigo exporter and quit making it even harder on yourself.

There is a free version of sketchup also!

qomop

Post by qomop » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Neo0 : I have read almost all the forum, and as new member, i notice one thing about you : POST SMALLER IMAGES!!!!!! :wink:
anyway
your models are "too perfect" : i mean that it seems that there is no gravity and that the Hamburger has no weight! Add some more french fries, and try other setting for yer ketchup.

hope to see yer progress.

qomop

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Crojack is right.. I use various other packages (Im gonna start learning Silo one of these days to model) and export into sketchup. Problem is that I've been using this terrible, terrible script to import OBJs, which would hang for about 10 minutes. So, I followed borgleader's suggestion and am in the process of "acquiring" sketchup pro for it's more dependable import features. Yeah, for modelling, sketchup is kind of like Fisher Price My First Modelling package. The performance is terrible with high poly models too though..:lol:

3D software doesn't exactly hold any ideals. The programs that manage to have an easy to learn UI lack power, high polygon capability. The programs that have those two look like they gave no consideration to ease of use. It's obviously the case that when you add more to a program, the learning curve goes up a bit, but some programs.. Ugh, the UI doesn't agree with me. In many cases, the most basic part of the interface (switching selection modes between face, edge, vert, and object) are buried beneath miles of BS. In Lightwave and modo,also, they introduced the concept of layers which just seemed pointless and unintuitive.

I grew up on Wings 3D, a great beginner modelling program, but it lacks the power of other packages and it handles more like a coding program and isn't very aritst friendly.

I think im am going to freakin love blender 2.5. It's free, it's got a great toolset, it has fluid simulation (!), and the interface is easy on your eyes. Plus, with the UI revisions that they are planning, it could become perfect.

There we go, sketchup pro just finished downloading. :)

15 posts • Page 1 of 1