clarinet

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Anthor

clarinet

Post by Anthor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:40 am

I tried simple shader (thank's SmartDen :) )

I'm not fully satisfied, any suggestion is welcome

Ciao :)
Attachments
clarinet04.png
clarinet04.png (851.11 KiB) Viewed 4590 times

cooler_inc
2nd Place Winner

Post by cooler_inc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:20 am

Clarinet looks pretty, but I don't like the table material similar to skin

eulgrand

Post by eulgrand » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 am

cooler_inc wrote:Clarinet looks pretty
+1

I like the "Blender" pen too.

The paper bump map could be scaled up a bit (looks wet).

I wonder what Tokio Hotel sounds like played on the clarinet... Not sure I want to hear though !

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:17 am

eulgrand wrote:
cooler_inc wrote:Clarinet looks pretty, but I don't like the table material similar to skin
+1

I like the "Blender" pen too.

The paper bump map could be scaled up a bit (looks wet).

I wonder what Tokio Hotel sounds like played on the clarinet... Not sure I want to hear though !
+1

or alternatively, scale the bumpmap, if it actually is one, down a LOT.... though, only if that doesn't show tiling too much.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 pm

A Great Image, but the only and main critisism is the articial look due to the perfekt shaders etc.

Besides the wet look paper and the human Skin Table, I also think you can mostly enhance the look of your paper!

Besides changing from Tokio Hotel to some proper Artist, I would'n let the paper look so perfekt. Try instead of the bump map some subtile deformations (maybe displacement), they catch light & shadows better than a bump, at the corners the paper coud be bend upwards a little etc.

I would also try some very small and subtile bump Map on your paper.
But the Pro way would be a very, very subtile blend between a very light phong and a diffuse material. check out this tutorial for the technique!

Also you could try to use another little more reflective shader for the inked parts of the paper, but the gain should be also very subtile!

Your instrument shader looks also to uniform to me. Try adding a exponnt Map for the bumpy parts using he bump map to get some more organic look & Feel for this mat!

Some subtile aditional lights to generate some interestings highlights & reflectons + shadows could be worth a try too ;-)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 pm

The desk/background texture looks fine - looks to me like leather. It's the colour thats really making it look 'human'. Try a real nice dark brown :D

I also agree that the bump texture on the paper needs to be scaled up - you really just want a hint of it as well.

Also - I ahve no idea what a clarinet really looks like or how it works but you have a hole, for making musical noises with?, that has nothing metallic over it - unlike all the others. A mistake?
Doug

Doug Armand

MadSwede

Post by MadSwede » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 am

Speaking as someone who've played the clarinet for a number of years and have a father who is a former woodwind repairman, the whole instrument looks rather strange.

I can't quite see what kind of reed would fit into that mouthpiece and the ligature is put on the wrong way around. Parts of mechanisms appear to be welded together and I'm afraid it looks quite off overall.

Another thing is scale. That's either one large paper or a really small clarinet. :) That's not too important however, as miniature clarinets could exist (never seen one though).

Thirdly, lower the bump on the body of the instrument. Most clarinets are made out of hardwood or plastic. At the moment it looks as though it was wraped in leather (intentionally?).

I hope you keep working on this. I've never been able to muster enough courage to attempt modelling one. Just because of the complexity of the mechanics and the damned ammounts of springs and fundaments. Take a good look at several reference images if you can't get a hold of a real one.

Good luck.

eulgrand

Post by eulgrand » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 am

I knew I had seen this logo somewhere. It is a Buffet-Crampon, isn't it ? I worked during several years for a company In Mantes-La-Ville, France, just a few hundred meters from their factory.
http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/index.php
Some pictures on their sites, unfortunately no close-up (as far as I could see).
:wink:

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:11 am

Oh and a tip, if that isn't already the case here: the 80% white (0.8 grey), often mentioned as upper limit actually is paper-white. So, if it's not already the case, change your paper's white to 0.8 ;)

Anthor

Post by Anthor » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:42 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is necessary for their translation (my English is poor). :wink:

However, it is partial, it is much more complex (for me), are also ingnorante in the field of music, I just like his sound :D :D

I'm working on

Happy 2009 :D

Attachments
clarinet02.png
clarinet02.png (976.34 KiB) Viewed 4185 times

10 posts • Page 1 of 1