Living room

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey Psychotron...

if working with wooden frames, you should check out RL how this is mostly handled.
The main way for wood, is working along the texture, just like this:

Also try some bump on the seams on the edges where the wooden parts come together!

for your wooden material try a phong with some exponent map and some low Exponent values, by this you get some very subtle bumpy effect, that sells you image better ;-)

Also think about how to open your window... if possible some extra detail (openening handel, metal bearing etc.) would help here too ;-)

but anyway, so far so good for being n00b :!:

BTW: I also hope you use some exit portals for your windows to keep rendertime low!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Psychotron80

Post by Psychotron80 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:13 pm

Hey ZomB,
thanks a lot for your observations, I'm very grateful for your help. On the points:
ZomB wrote: Also try some bump on the seams on the edges where the wooden parts come together!
can I do this by simply separating the pieces by, say, 1mm? or is there a better way? can you briefly explain it to me?
ZomB wrote: for your wooden material try a phong with some exponent map and some low Exponent values, by this you get some very subtle bumpy effect, that sells you image better ;-)
I'm using Beech Wood from the Material Database...is it ok? any better idea?
ZomB wrote: Also think about how to open your window... if possible some extra detail (openening handel, metal bearing etc.) would help here too ;-)
yep I'm working on this. any suggestion for a good material for the metallic parts?
ZomB wrote: but anyway, so far so good for being n00b :!:
thanks...!
ZomB wrote: BTW: I also hope you use some exit portals for your windows to keep rendertime low!
yep, I'm using them!

Thanks again ZomB!

Psy

Stur

Post by Stur » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46 am

Good work.

You asked for some remarks so here is one :D :

I'm not sure it's realistic to see two windows so close in an angle. Well, it's just a personnal thought, nothing scientific. But I think it's weird. What's the point in having a small window so close to a big one ? The big one probaly lets enough light to enter so there is no need for a second window at this place of the room. Furthermore, unless your windows open from bottom to up, they will collapse each other if you try to open both.

I think the distance between the windows and the corner should be equal to the part of the window that opens. Sorry for my english, it's hard to explain in a good style but I think you see what I mean.

Psychotron80

Post by Psychotron80 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:28 am

Hi Stur,
thanks for your observations. Short reply for all of them: the room is as it is because I'm modeling a real living room.. :)! So it's forcibly realistic...!

The smaller window opens "from above" (I don't know the exact english word for this...).

Cheers,

Psy

Psychotron80

Post by Psychotron80 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 pm

hi everybody,
I have a small update to my living room. I still have trouble with the error I reported at http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=5318, and as suggested I'm trying to identify the mesh which is causing the error.
As you can see, the handles are missing, but I'll make them in a while. Differently from the previous images I posted, now the sun is used correctly with its angle shining into the room. I used the marvelous Fiat Lux Blender script to calculate the sun position, which you can find at http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... un+blender.

As usual, any comments are very welcome!

Bye!

Psy
Attachments
im1231895459.jpg
im1231895459.jpg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Last edited by Psychotron80 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadSwede

Post by MadSwede » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:18 am

Very nice lighting and materials but to have the hinges as they are placed on the far left window seems impractical.

Converting images to jpg before uploading will lessen the strain on the server by the way.

Psychotron80

Post by Psychotron80 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:43 am

Madswede, yes the window is definitely impractical! But this is how it is in reality (and I'm modeling a true room).

Concerning the image format: as a n00b I didn't think about that, sorry! Thanks for pointing it out I will keep it in mind for my future posts

22 posts