Observation room

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
neo0.

Observation room

Post by neo0. » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:04 pm

So, supposedly in the far future, humanity abandons earth and lives in a gigantic spaceship...

This would be one of the giant observation rooms.. The figure there is for scale..

What I want to do is put a bunch of holographic readouts around the room.. WHich I was thinking could be done by blending a specular mat with... an rgb emitter?

What if I wanted to put colored displays on the glass itself?
Attachments
say.jpg
say.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 2654 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:52 pm

Where'd you take the Master Chief model from?

Also camera position is a bit odd. The right part of the image looks a tad empty compared to the left part of it. Also I'd narrow the picture a bit and by that i mean use a 16:9 ration instead of the default 4:3. But that's just me, a fan of "hdtv" format.

As for the floor, I'd add some bump to it. I'm guessing you used one of the shaders from the shader thread, which in itself isn't a problem, merely a statement. Now if you could modify this or re-use it somehow (I have no idea how) to use this and bump/displace your floor it would add, imo, realism to the picture.

I find the left column to be insterestingly designed. I would however expect the observation room "window" to have an actual frame. This one looks like an open hangar bay door. Maybe a bottom "railing" of some sort in roughly the smae style as the column? I don't know just a thought.

The background picture is nice but unfortunately it's one tone. I mean...the stars are blue? Strikes me as odd. maybe a photoshop job could fix that, not sure though.

Last but not least, a render with more SPP would be great. The master chief looking character is totally blurred. Although that may be from it being out of the cameras focus (which isn't a bad thing). But still more SPP.

Keep at it you're making progress and that's good :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Before I dropped it, I remembered a setting in indigo 1.1.2 that allowed you to adjust something called "z" (whitebalance I think), which could adjust how blue your render looked. Yeah, the backdrop does look odd... Im not sure why it's turning out like that. Im using the "Ghost Glass" shader for the window and for illumination, im using two rgb emitters, which are both nearly pure white.

I really dont understand why everything looks so blue.

EDIT : a little bit of photoshop correction for comparison.
Attachments
sainthedark.jpg
sainthedark.jpg (397.09 KiB) Viewed 2639 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:59 am

Z is more or less the B component but in XYZ space. nothing to do with whitebalance.
White balance can be changed via the two sliders in Lab space... in the white balance tab

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:34 am

Kram means the white balance can be changed from one of the Indigo UI tab I believe ;) experiment with presets there !

For holograms... yeah you want that don't you :mrgreen:

Better use null than specular to blend with the emitter, the more null over emitter the better, but keep in mind that the light power will then be reduced by the same magnitude.

Use a high f-stop ... just in case.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:31 am

Skindigo isnt letting me blend a null with an rgb emitter.. I wanted text/graphics in the hologram, so how would I do that? Would I have to blend the rgb/null with a diffuse map?

Would be cool if someone uploaded the mat to the db..

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:53 am

Actually the igs code version 2 is needed to support what I said in the exporter, one can't mix a meshlight with a material, may it be null.

We can't stress you enough on getting used with a secondary modeling application beside Sketchup to access more advanced 3d features, like deformations or projections.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:28 am

So when is thatIGS v2.0 going to be incorperated?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:35 pm

I can't tell you, this depends on wether, or how exporters manage it.

I think new code can be used after old code but not before, within the scene description. Look for an emission code example in the forum, mix null 99% with a dummy lambert and after export, replace dummy lambert with the example code in igs/xml. Make sure that the pasted code is the last material defined, but before the blend material. Use latest Indigo for that, thought that's all theory from me...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Would it be possible to create something like a display built in to the glass? In other words like the painted glass, except colored?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:38 pm

neo0. wrote:Would it be possible to create something like a display built in to the glass? In other words like the painted glass, except colored?
just put a semi-transparent or opaque emitter right into the glass object and set it to whatever color you want.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1