Black glass artefact w/o normal smoothing

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:49 pm

neo0. wrote:Okay, einstain, tell me, what is so obvious here? I was making a simple suggestion.
I simply can't believe that after having this render output you checked your mesh, and haven't seen something similar like this in sk:

A simple suggestion can still be a very, very, very stupid suggestion, and tells a lot about the one who suggests it...

Its no shame of being new to something, but it is some if you are to lazy to try figuring out something for your self!!!

Einstein over & out... ;-)
polygonmanufaktur.de

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Nope. Never saw that. Damn.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:43 am

This happened because the inner and outer shapes have a different topology (simply put: faces connections around the handle), hence reacted differently after smoothing. The handle is adding more tension to the outer surface, wich in turn has more constraints and smoothing is happening on smallers regions there.

The inner region in the other hand can be relaxed on a wider scale because it hasn't the same topology (less faces over the same superficy), resulting in a smoother shape, and interpenetration with the outer shell.

Now on a personal note again, you should have checked the object where Indigo was rendering it black, that would have saved you some hassle here, and would have finally given you a good reason to be so self-confident on others mistakes... still you can improve that.
obsolete asset

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:16 am

neo0. wrote:
Indigo does check for degenerated triangles at startup time, and more. But it can not design things for you, so do things right.
I wasn't asking it to design things for me. This is simply another error, like degenerate triangles that it could warn you about.
Finding degenerate triangles is as simple as checking if two of the three vertices in the corners are on the very same position or, more accurate, to check if the three are on a line in space. Relatively simple; probably relatively quick.

Checking for normal directions needs far more advanced math which a) triples or quadruples the time to load the mesh and b) does the same with the whole Indigo file size or c) is so low quality that it's not of use at all.

Indigo relies on you, being able to decide yourself, what's inside and what's outside. If you can't distinquish between "inside" and "outside", you're really wrong in cg at all. (Except for very few very VERY complicated meshes. Though, such meshes usually can't be corrected too well by ANY computer either... So, still no use for something like that.)

19 posts