Hectophone

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
MadSwede

Hectophone

Post by MadSwede » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:05 am

This thread is solely for suggestions about tonemapping, cropping and possible PS-corrections of this rendered image. It's been rendering for 68 hours and is at ca 15400 spp (I was out of town...and I can stop whenever I want).

As of now (ca 17:00 GMT+1) I'd like any suggestions for tonemapping etc. I'll keep Indigo going for another 4-5 hours, but I'm afraid my computer's already developed sentience, and hate of humanity. :lol:

If you've got a better idea for a setup/lightning, tell me. I was pretty satisfied with the concept and models, but scene and setup are always my weaknesses.

Oh, and for anyone not bashing their heads against their keyboards, the name is a pun based on a certain prefix and a unit of mass.
Attachments
HPhone2.jpg
HPhone2.jpg (308.45 KiB) Viewed 4254 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 am

Swede, you are MAD! :D
cool model, really!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:11 am

Beware Kram, his computer is going to hate you too :D

That said madswede, your question is a bit too broad to be answered efficiently, what do you want to heard about ?

Tonemapping depends on your scene and own tastes, for instance linear may do better than camera with saturated textures.
obsolete asset

MadSwede

Post by MadSwede » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:51 am

Kram1032 wrote:Swede, you are MAD!
Enough with the compliments. :)
CTZn wrote:That said madswede, your question is a bit too broad to be answered efficiently, what do you want to heard about ?

Tonemapping depends on your scene and own tastes, for instance linear may do better than camera with saturated textures.
I guess you're right. What I was looking for was feedback along the lines of, "too cold/green/warm" and that will of course, as you said, always will be based on personal preferences (or indoctrinated knowledge from educations :wink: ).

Thanks for the tip about linear tonemapping. I'm currently saving several different versions to compare later. I really hope that Indigo, at some future stage, will have the capability of saving png's, exr's etc. at any point during rendering.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 am

let's start with "a tad too neutral"
either make it warmer or cooler^^ As this looks pretty casual to me, I'd say, warmer...

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 am

hey Swede.... lovley scne you got there! I donate you my 2 cent:

The wooden shelve could maybe use some more phongish look... more IOR could help here... atm it looks way to diffuse for MY eyes.

Your venyls look pure black :/
Some displacement for the relife and a nice phong (higher IOR) could enhance them.... don't use pure black color... its not realistic!

The texture for the shelf could use some reduced red chanel, its to orange and seems to be more sepia/brown in real world.

try to use some exponent maps for your phong materials to get some subtile imperfaction.... dirt ore scratchmaps seems to do a good work here!

The floor needs more IOR, low (scartch) bump or exponent map, and tiling seems to be to low, the wood looks to big.... and also low res!
polygonmanufaktur.de

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm

ZomB remember that now every kind of wood used for furniture is polished, so it's more or less a matter of taste wether to make it phong or diffuse, same applies to the floor ;)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm currently saving several different versions to compare later.
That's a good approach I believe. Since you are at testing, do that exercise of reducing textures saturation to 10% of their actual state, that could be instructive and goes with image mood. At the end you'll find that the textures were not that much saturated, but as I said that's an exercise, if you want :)
obsolete asset

MadSwede

Post by MadSwede » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 pm

ZomB wrote:Some good advice
Thanks. The material for the shelf had actually got the IOR/exponent I wanted, but I'd left the bump way too strong.
I agree about the redness, I'll alter that and try to fix the scales of everything.
About the vinyls, the material was a very dark reddish brown with a bump map for the tracks. After reducing some brightness and contrast settings on my screen I realize that it wasn't visible.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1