What do I need to fix in this scene???

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
tannerw_2010

What do I need to fix in this scene???

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:20 am

I guess you can say this is my first scene i have been rendering, and it mainly is just wine pouring into a cup. I know the background from the window looks flat out terrible. This is the first render i had with it. All it is is a plane with a texture. I cant seem to get the .exr HDRI lighting to work, so i made a makeshift version that is laughable. Other than the Bg, what do I need to fix to make this look more lifelike??? I used Blendigo for the scene (latest stable version whatever that is).
Thanks P.S. Even though i already said it, The background is flat out BAD :oops: !!!

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:21 am

Oh and on top of things, how would i get the background to look like a real background??? Thanks

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:51 am

Nice! The fluid looks awesome!

So, to make it more lifelike...

Wine pouring into a wine glass might look a little more realistic. Also, give the glass some absorption. Right now it looks too clear to me. :) The wine bottles are faceted. Did you "Set Smooth" for them?

What kind of problems were you experiencing with .exr maps?

Looking good though! I'm enjoying watching this project evolve.

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:11 am

When I loaded the .exr maps, I just got this black world. There was no light coming through, it was all black.

Originally the glass was a wine glass, but for some reason when I bake the fluids even if the Domain is a cylindric shape, I get a "square" domain. So the wine pours in a square like shape, so I had to compromise and make a square glass. :(

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:16 am

Hmm, where did you get the maps? Did you try adjusting the gain? What if you turn off the meshlights and try to use an env map? Still black?

As for the fluid issue, what was your setup? Did you have a large enough domain box?

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:51 am

For the maps I acually got a JPG to EXR converter, and did a test with it and it seemed to work, until I put it in my room scene. I did mess with the gain, but idk. I'm not even sure I am doing it right. What I am doing is going to enviorment, and clicking enviorment map and loading the exr file, but nothing.

I was just messing with the fluids simulator, and tried about everything, and just couldnt get it to fall into a cylindric shape. IDK whats the problem on that :?

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:55 am

As for a visual description of what I am trying to accomplish, here is a video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKaQI5cd ... re=related

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:14 am

EXR maps are more than just plain images. I don't have a complete technical understanding of them, but from what I understand, a photograph is taken at multiple exposure levels. These photographs can then be compiled into an HDR image. The information from the different exposure levels can be used to estimate the light sources in the photo. The HDR image can then be used to light your scene with the same lighting in the photo.

So, you may not get good results using an EXR generated from a single image . You might want to download some maps which contain this HDR info. Several free ones can be found at http://www.debevec.org/Probes/

As for fluid sim, you need a domain box that surrounds the wine glass, or at least the part of the glass where the fluid will be. The wine glass needs to be set as an obstacle.

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:33 am

After searching more videos on youtube, I figured out how to get it working.

I will try some of the maps you recommended. As for a background, would the enviorment map work for it as well???

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:48 am

Yes, as long as you select the right type. The ones in the link I sent you are obviously spherical. :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:52 am

Hey tannerw_2010 nice first one for sure !

What took my eye immediatly is... damn, I couldn't read your picture ! It took me some time to grab that the liquid was falling onto a reflective surface (wich in my mind was just the ground further), and believe it or not but I had to read about the glass to see it :shock:

Ok, now what's wrong ? Lines, alignement, perspective. The glass itself is vanishing half in the vertical lines, half in the horizontal ones frome the sink.

1 - avoid aligning camera with big shapes (and the glass with the desk too), change camera position.

2 - the window is too low and the background is upside down, that does matter for human brain.

Optionally boost mid tones, there's a lot of contrast, Indirect lighting is not perceptible. That's bidir only ?
obsolete asset

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:09 am

There is an etched glass amt in the MatDB, that might look pretty cool on the glass the wine is going into-

I'm not sure if the window is too low, or if it is just too short, from the persp. I don't think you would see the top of the window. It kind of makes it look like that wall is shorter than the perceived wall behind the camera.

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:20 am

how would I boost the midtones???

tannerw_2010

Post by tannerw_2010 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:00 pm

I still couldn't figure out the HDR Lighting, I downloaded one of the files from the site you gave me, and It didnt even attempt to render. I think its because it was a .hdr file instead of a .exr file...

Tommorow I will hopefully post a slighly altered scene with a more visible cup this time :P. I wont be able to change the camera angle becuase the fluid coming from the cup is larger than the wine bottle so i have to keep the perspective the way it is otherwise you will see some wine around the bottle. :roll:

MSUdom5

Post by MSUdom5 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Ahh, yeah, you have to convert the hdr file to exr. Forgot to mention that. There are lots of free programs that do this. I use Picturenaut. (http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/)

29 posts