Substation W.I.P.

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Archiman86

Substation W.I.P.

Post by Archiman86 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:39 am

Hello all,
This is something that I have been working on at work for presentation purposes. I have been rendering in blender internal, using yafray, luxrender and now indigo trying to figure out the best way to get as realistic of a piece as possible. The objects were all created in AutoCad and then imported into blender and tweaked. Right now the scene is definitely in progress, due to the faceted cylinders and missing materials. If there is any suggestions of materials, changes to the environment, changes to the scene, etc. that would help make it look more realistic it would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to find a realistic gravel texture for all of the renderers and have been falling short. I had a bump map created with voroni that looked ok, but still open to suggestions. Also, this is the first time i have used indigo with a uv mapped image, and I was wondering what would be the best way to make the image "a part" of the overall composition.

Regards,

Dan

Also, I left a large area int he foreground because I plan on putting a company logo and client logo there..
Attachments
im1220631585.png
im1220631585.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2747 times

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:12 am

Material on the poles looks a bit off.. Unles of course, you're going for a stylized look..

beyer

Post by beyer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:31 pm

It has potential, but nothing in the image really rings true to me I'm afraid.

The scale of the image throws me. Aren't those wind power generators massive, as in heights approaching 100 meters? And aren't they usually widely spaced apart (~5x's the height) since putting them close together is less efficient? Further the majority of your turbines appear to be sitting directly behind a large ridge, which to the untrained eye seems precisely the wrong place for wind turbines.

Here's some things you might consider: bring the ridge in closer, reduce its height by a corressponding amount, and add ~10 turbines scaled up by a factor of 10-20 along the ridge line (ie only have a small number in the entire image). You could also consider making the fore ground less busy, and perhaps adding an element (like power lines say) that connects the foreground and the back ground so that the the connection between the two elements is clearer.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:00 am

Just go on with materials, try shiny ones on curved syrfaces (the "wings ?) "to draw attention, experiment anyway. Then play with tonemapping and send back.

As beyer said it has potential, it is just into an in-between step now. :)

Hint on tonemapping: reinhard is adaptative, cool for "previewing" the scene, but when adjusted, linear, and furthermore camera tonemapping are better as far as realism goes.
obsolete asset

Archiman86

Post by Archiman86 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:13 am

Thank you for the feedback. I do agree with you, the substation in the foreground is alittle large, and too cose to the turbines. I am working on correcting that. however, the turbines and the whole background for that matter is an image. It is an actual image of a site that we are working on, so therefore, the size, scale, and location of the turbines are correct. I do need to scale the substation down alittle with respect to it. I am trying to get a view from the proposed substation to the corresponding turbines. I will take all ideas into consideration and update as soon as I can.

thanks again.

FYI: the turbines are facing TOWARD the camera so the ridge has no effect on them. That is also why the ones further back on on that ridge, and there arent any behind it..

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Nice start

Try white balance d65 for exterior scene, it correct the "blue effect"

6 posts • Page 1 of 1