Another animation test WIP

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Grimm

Another animation test WIP

Post by Grimm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:50 pm

My first animation test went well enough for me to try and tackle another one. This will be an intro to a short I'm working on with my kids. No animation yet, hopefully soon, but here is a first test image. I used some MODIS data of Alaska from my work (I work for a university satellite data clearing house) for the Earth texture. Both the Earth and the ship were modelled in Blender and then rendered in Indigo. I then composited all of the parts in Blender. The image is HD (1280x720) so those with slow connections beware. I'm still learning and the learning curve is just about killed me. :) I will be matching this with some video I shot of my kids running around the yard so we will see how it turns out.

http://www.frostyfoot.com/images/intro-test.png
Grimm

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:41 am

dude, that earth looks great.

so, the kids are going to be giants walking the earth? :)

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks crojack,

That's a good idea for the kids. But, no, the ship will land and chaos will ensue. I should post my story board. I have been learning how to make movies and everything that is involved. I'm just now, after about 8 months of studying, getting parts of this figured out. Not to mention getting the equipment to do it. :? It is lots of fun though. :)
Grimm

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am

Ok, here is another test. It's looking better but I don't think I'm going to do much more to it. Next is animating it. :)

http://www.frostyfoot.com/images/intro-test2.png

Also for those who are interested here are the storyboards for this little project.

http://www.frostyfoot.com/images/storyboard1-s.jpg
http://www.frostyfoot.com/images/storyboard2-s.jpg
Grimm

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 pm

The first part of the animated intro is finished. Right now it's just a 20 second sequence of flying over the earth in space. Later I plan on compositing the spaceship onto the earth sequence. I rendered it with Indigo v1.1.9 on 4 nodes with a total of 7 cores. It took around 8 days to render after which I brought it in to Blender and composited some atmospheric haze and did some color correction. It was rendered at 24 frames per second as that is the frame rate I captured my video at. The resolution is HD at 1280x720. Here is the animation at vimeo, let me know what you think.

http://www.vimeo.com/1785327
Grimm

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:03 pm

looks cool so far.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Looks good, but did you really rendered all those frames in indigo ?
Sry, but if it is so, then it's a complete waste of time and energy.
You could have done only one big res rendering and animate the scaling of it using any video app. The effect would have been the same.
But anyway.. it really looks good and it's your time so... :wink: 8)

[edit]
If the earth would have been slightly rotating, then the rendering would do the justice, but now the effect is completely 2d.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 am

Well, not entirely... Camera imperfections and vignetting can't be used in case of zoom drive... Though, that's not wanted in such a thing, anyway^^

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:23 am

Thanks guys! It's been a learning experience. :)

suvakas - Yes fully rendered in Indigo. It probably would have been better to just have rendered it in Blender or like you said do a simple 2D pan and zoom, but I wanted to see how Indigo would handle it. There is a slight rotation of the earth although it might be easier to see in the full HD resolution. If you look at the sun's reflection off of the water at the beginning you can see it move, and new details become visible over the top of the earth as the animation runs. So not a complete waste of time, it's just real subtle. :wink:
Grimm

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 am

Ok. Point taken.
Keep it up ! :wink:

10 posts • Page 1 of 1