Sparse interior

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
paco

Sparse interior

Post by paco » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 am

Hi all,

I'm new to Indigo and this is my first attempt. I plan to add furniture when I get a chance, but would appreciate any comments at this early stage. I used something called "Wood Workshop" for the wood textures (+GIMP) which seems pretty handy -esp for the floorboards. What does everyone else use?
Attachments
paco_room.jpg
Simple room. White background only used for the lighting.
paco_room.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 am

Nice but the edges between walls/floors and whatnot could use some beveling. its too sharp.

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:21 am

Hi paco quote Borgleader and on my opinion the measures of parquet is too big... reduce it and update...however good start!!!
Luca. ;)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:09 am

textures are too big. its either a house for little kids/midgets, or those are massive boards!
nice composition though! i would show a bit more of the stairs n a bit less of the right wall (so basically move the view to the left a slight bit, so the dividing wall between stairs and room is about one third of the way across the image).
those walls are pretty thick too, but depending on what theyre supposedly made of, it could be plausible.

the doors at the far end need more connection details. just cuz right now they seem a bit flat, as if theyre made of cardboard and paper.

paco

Post by paco » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the boards are big. I'm working from a photo and they are in fact very chunky boards - I'm hoping that once I put some furniture in it will have more of a sense of scale.

Borgleader: Regarding beveling - I have a post on this topic at
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=4530
I did try beveling the wall/wall interface on the left but it didn't make that much difference (?diffuse material).

Regarding the wall/floor interface - should that really be beveled? I'm using blender and typically use the "bevel center" script with an amount of 0.005 and 2 recursive divisions - is this ok?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am

I don't think the wall/floor join should be beveled.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:32 pm

I don't think the wall/floor join should be beveled.
Nah, not beveled. The walls should be lifted ever so slightly off the floor, or better yet, the floor pulled away. Best solved with molding :)

BbB

Post by BbB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 pm

Bevelling is very much a matter of common sense. Diffuse mats on objects that are not too close to the camera usually don't need bevels. The stairs do, though, because of the reflections so it's good you bevelled those.
I echo Phrosty about the wall/parquet joint. You should pull your planks just a few millimeters away from the wall or build a skirting board.

Woodie

Post by Woodie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 am

Add baseboard. Pulling floor away will have a look of unfinished space.

paco

Post by paco » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks for all the tips. The actual room that I'm modeling is a minimalist interior - there are no skirting boards. I originally chose it because I thought it would be easier - in hindsight that could have been a bad choice. Here are the additions:

Floated the floor and pulled it back from the edges as suggested.
Added some extra detail to the doors at the far end.
Reduced the floor board size slightly.
Beveled the wall joins closest to the camera.

Not sure where the black dot on the left wall came from - It's direct output from Indigo without going through an editor. I'll check the mesh when I get a chance.
Attachments
paco_room02.jpg
2nd attempt
paco_room02.jpg (77.77 KiB) Viewed 2786 times

10 posts • Page 1 of 1