Interior of shiny, clean, high tech room.

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
ryandaniels

Interior of shiny, clean, high tech room.

Post by ryandaniels » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:24 pm

Well, here is a render of what I got so far;

By ryandaniels

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially lighting and camera postion, as I want the details of my ojects to show.

Also, some of the objects are low poly, but that is just because I turned some down to lower render time for this early pic.

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:39 pm

maybe curve the floor into the wall? and have the monitor on? looks like ti could be a cool scene, shadows look nice.

doublez

Post by doublez » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:48 pm

The lighting doesn't look so good right now, but you have more work on the scene to do first.

ryandaniels

Post by ryandaniels » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:13 pm

doublez wrote:The lighting doesn't look so good right now, but you have more work on the scene to do first.
Any advice...?

kwez

Post by kwez » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:18 am

I cant see the pic ??

doublez

Post by doublez » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:18 am

ryandaniels wrote:
doublez wrote:The lighting doesn't look so good right now, but you have more work on the scene to do first.
Any advice...?
Just keep working on the scene and the lighting will start to shape up and then you can make needed adjusments.

CryptoQuick

Post by CryptoQuick » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:01 am

My advice:
* If you're using Blendigo, you might want to set a few of your objects as smooth, and make sure you're not exporting the meshes separately, since, due to the XML, I don't think there's a way to make an imported .obj scene smooth, for some reason.
* Render at a smaller resolution-- this will help make your muts/px better, and clear out the fuzz, or at least size it down before you upload-- as a courtesy to us. :)
// Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 / nvidia GeForce 7900GT / ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe / Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 / 2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB / PC P&C Silencer 750W / Silverstone TJ07 //
CryptoQuick is Live! in High Definition, and Web 2.0 compliant.

ryandaniels

Post by ryandaniels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:52 pm

CryptoQuick wrote:My advice:
* If you're using Blendigo, you might want to set a few of your objects as smooth, and make sure you're not exporting the meshes separately, since, due to the XML, I don't think there's a way to make an imported .obj scene smooth, for some reason.
* Render at a smaller resolution-- this will help make your muts/px better, and clear out the fuzz, or at least size it down before you upload-- as a courtesy to us. :)
I didn't make the poly high so it didn't take as long to render, and the grain is from me stopping the render too quick.

Psychotron80

Post by Psychotron80 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi ryandaniels,
I'm very, very much a noob, but I have some observations that might help (something I stumbled into by reading many posts around this forum):

- maybe some of your objects, like the chair, are RGB 256 (i.e. pure white), which should be avoided to "help" the render. You can use like 80%-90% white.

- an IES profile for the light could help giving the light a more realistic shape?

Concernign the smoothing, this has always caused my headaches: I never understood if the right was to smooth is to "subsurf" or to to "set smooth". The other replies shed a little light on this, but I would really like to know more on how the correct smoothing of objects should be done. Can anyone say something more comprehensive?

Any comments on all this are welcome!

Psy

ryandaniels

Post by ryandaniels » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 am

Psychotron80 wrote:Hi ryandaniels,
I'm very, very much a noob, but I have some observations that might help (something I stumbled into by reading many posts around this forum):

- maybe some of your objects, like the chair, are RGB 256 (i.e. pure white), which should be avoided to "help" the render. You can use like 80%-90% white.

- an IES profile for the light could help giving the light a more realistic shape?

Concernign the smoothing, this has always caused my headaches: I never understood if the right was to smooth is to "subsurf" or to to "set smooth". The other replies shed a little light on this, but I would really like to know more on how the correct smoothing of objects should be done. Can anyone say something more comprehensive?

Any comments on all this are welcome!

Psy
Thanks for the help, I didn't know about those first two things. As for the last, I was very new to rendering back then, and didn't have a very good understanding of the uses of normal smoothing. :lol: Luckily though, I learned from that rather large mistake.

Thanks for the reply!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:34 am

Psychotron80 wrote:- maybe some of your objects, like the chair, are RGB 256 (i.e. pure white), which should be avoided to "help" the render. You can use like 80%-90% white.
very good hint for beeing a "n00b" Psycho :wink:. But just to keep this one accurate: max of 80% in R, G and B for your white color, its around 204!

ryandaniels wrote:I didn't make the poly high so it didn't take as long to render, and the grain is from me stopping the render too quick.
Hey ryandaniels, you can throw as much polys at Indigo as your RAM can hold! You won't see any speed differences.... better lower the resolution of your image and keep supersampling at 1 for testrenders.
polygonmanufaktur.de

ryandaniels

Post by ryandaniels » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:44 am

ZomB wrote:
Psychotron80 wrote:- maybe some of your objects, like the chair, are RGB 256 (i.e. pure white), which should be avoided to "help" the render. You can use like 80%-90% white.
very good hint for beeing a "n00b" Psycho :wink:. But just to keep this one accurate: max of 80% in R, G and B for your white color, its around 204!

ryandaniels wrote:I didn't make the poly high so it didn't take as long to render, and the grain is from me stopping the render too quick.
Hey ryandaniels, you can throw as much polys at Indigo as your RAM can hold! You won't see any speed differences.... better lower the resolution of your image and keep supersampling at 1 for testrenders.
Yeah, thanks again everyone, and no offense to anyone here, but this thread is from the beginning of the year, so this doesn't represent my current knowledge level, and I don't need any advice on this picture since I'm not messing with it anymore.

For some reason this post comes off sounding defensive and hostile. I really do enjoy constructive criticism, but this thread is so old I'd like for people to just let it die.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1