"villa lake side" interiors

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:54 pm

warning : very small updates !
working on the furnitures (geez I'm damn sloooow).

@BbB : thanks for pointing the websites. I'll sure use them for the next scenes. You're right, according to me, the golden rules when modelling interiors and such would be :
- bevel everything ! (including walls)
- non-repetitive textures.
(wich take an insane amount of time).
There's one major thing about your work I'm quite jealous of, though : your productivity ! I'm smashed at how fast you can produce such stunning renders. When I find good reference pictures, I tend to model everything, and spend ages trying billions of different viewpoints, angles, lightings etc, never knowing when to stop... In the end half of the things I modelled won't even bee seen in the final renders.
It seems you start your projects which a particular viewpoint in mind, and stick with it until the end, am I right ? (and moreover am I clear ?!).

@kadajawi : I never thought of using square frames until I saw those pictures. Rectangular" frames are easier to compose, but I thought that those square shots were really well balanced, so I'll stick with them for that project.
Regarding the greenish tint, that's the mood I want to get, though I played too much with violet in those renders.
I'd like to have a sort of "bright snowy winter day" mood.
In fact I modelled the whole house, But I don't know if I'll have the patience to populate everything (it's almost empty at the moment). For the moment I want to render three main shots : 2 in the living room, one in the library.
I might model a bit of the outside, though I have no idea how to make a proper snow material.

@Roger : book moved !
Attachments
salon11.jpg
salon11.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
salon10.png
salon10.png (446.26 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
salon12.png
salon12.png (363.48 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:06 am

small but effective :D

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:30 am

Really nice Doc. Your pebbles are fantastic. And so is the book, but we knew that already. I like the fabric texture too - do you want to say a few words about the fabric material?

On what you wrote, I can only say it seems to me you're a perfectionist and I'm not. I know I get fed up with scenes after a short while, so I do tend to move on once I'm mildly satisfied with a scene. The problem is that there's a lot of hit and miss and not everything I post in the forum really deserves to be there. Whereas a Doc post is more rare but always guaranteed to wow because you're so attentive to detail and very systematic in how you go about doing things. I can't remember you posting anything that was not close to perfection.

Otherwise, I agree - I find there's no point for me to start work on scene without knowing what it will end up looking like. Which is why I almost only work from photographs (at least for interiors) and never model anything that won't be in the final image. It's a bit like these lazy sculptors of the baroque period who didn't bother to sculpt the back of their statues if they were going to stand against a wall. Michelangelo would never have done that, and I think you work more the way he did!

EDIT: One more pressing question - Looking at your reference, it's amazing how close to the original you've come. Even the greenish tint is actually there in the original images. So can you tell me how you went about building the house from just the original plans that are the site. I mean, what about the height of the walls, etc. since there is no cross-section blueprint of the building. I'm just intensely curious and eager to try something like that too.

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:49 am

I mean, geez, this got to deserve an award or something...
Attachments
Arkinetia.jpg
Arkinetia.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Doc.png
Doc.png (321.43 KiB) Viewed 3299 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:17 am

Indeed :D
(at least after getting rid of all the poisonous green...)

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:40 am

Actually I started with that exact viewpoint.
- Model the ground according to the blueprints
- Place the camera to match the picture (the hardest part).
- And extrude !

@BbB :
Now, about the perfectionnist thing : it puzzled me for quite some time.
Is it best to spend ages one one single project, detailling everything just in case you would want to render lots of different viewpoints, or model just the necessary, finding the right balance between high-poly/mid-poly, than switch to another project ?
I think you found the right balance. I was quite surprised looking at the rather low polycount on the wireframes you posted from time to time (believe me this is a compliment !). And yet, your renders are just totally photo-realistic.
To be honest, I'm willing to go more "professionally" into arch-viz sometimes in order to put some butter in my spinach (sorry, that's a untranslatable french expression ! I mean, I plan to sell some archviz sometimes). By the way, what is your position regarding this ? (do you sell your work, and if not : why ?!).
To put it another way : the amount of projects you finished (not to mention their quality) in that amount of time is just another form of prefectionnism !
And I think it's much more clever than spending ages on one single project.
So, between the lazy sculptors and michelangelo, I'd choose the lazy sculptors ! (or between kubrick and let's say woody allen, I'd choose woody allen).

In that case my first goal was make one single render, eg. that exact viewpoint you posted.
But I ended modelling the whole house !
So I guess that's the last time I go into a monster project like this (started one month ago ! then got fed up, then restarted, got fed up again etc...). Gotta be faster.
Ok enought chatting, back to blender otherwise I won't be finished till christmas.

ps : the fabric is a simple diffuse with a bump map. And the book is one random book I found at home (Jared Diamond, about Inequality between societies. Extremely interseting btw)

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:44 am

@ Kram : I like that poisonous green !

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:01 am

Beautiful work drBouvierLeduc :)

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:35 am

drBouvierLeduc
I don't know. I guess you can see it both ways. Being perfectionist is a must if you want to do this professionally. And if you want to do Archviz commercially, sticking to plans and blueprints and being as meticulous in your modeling as you are is surely the better way. I do this for fun and the temptation to give up is simply too high if I launch myself into such a mammoth project. Having said that, you've inspired me so much that I'm going to give this a shot in the next few weeks. I've found a well-documented Portuguese house that could lend itself to modeling. It sure won't be the same quality as yours though.

On Archviz, no, I've never sold a single image. Well, I do sell images but only as stock, which earns me about 1$ per hi-res image. There are a couple of reasons for that:
1) I'd need to climb quite a few more quality steps in terms of modeling in order to be confident enough to offer my work for sale.
2) My day job pays better (I don't think I could maintain my family on Archviz, esp. with the amount of competition from cheap and good Chinese visualisation companies right now) and doesn't leave me enough time to be solliciting commissions - which would be quite a lot of work since I don't have the necessary contacts.
3) I'm dead certain Blendering and Indigoing would suddenly be much less fun if I couldn't pick the stuff I do myself.
4) My day job is all about deadlines so I've got enough of these already ;-)
5) I'm not a perfectionist...

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:29 am

One tiny thing perhaps. But very tiny. I noticed your UVs are getting distorted towards the edge of the wooden plate. I assume it's because you're using a subsurf modifier. You can get rid of it by applying the modifier in Blender and unwrapping your UVs again.

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:44 am

I'll have a look, thks.

jurasek

Post by jurasek » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:55 pm

top work Dr, nothing to add. Keep it up!

greetz,
jur

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Pure beauty! I love your detail shots doc. Bertrand and you should post your
work at the 'professional' forums. I'm sure both of you would win an award!

*KEEP IT UP GUYS*

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:03 pm

There is so much to say Dr about this render. All is good, details are great, textures are great. So much to say by the time I clicked the post reply button I had so many words forming in my mind that it is all just a blank right now.

I'm speechless! That speaks for itself. Great work! :)
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

Kosmokrator

Post by Kosmokrator » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:45 pm

very nice!!! 8)
1)Core i7 965XE stock CLOCK ,PSU:CHIEFTEC 850W
M/B ASUS P6T DELUXE,WATERCOOLING ZALMAN RESERATOR 2
MEMORY:6GB CORRSAIR @1600,Ati HD 4870x2,
MONITOR:LG 1950SQ,CASE:THERMALTAKE SOPRANO

59 posts